Were in!!

Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: Were in!!

Originally Posted by jads
Cheers for all the info guys, feel better now (a bit of a shock reading all those other threads about negative NZ)!!
I reckon some people think that moving to a different country will solve all their problems they have in the UK, I think it only highlights them even more with a load more to deal with in NZ.
We have had some good remarks about Wellington, I just thought it was too far out of the way to even bothering looking. Maybe we should make a visit, how long a drive is it from Hawkes Bay?
Also does anyone have any thoughts of hawkes bay? Are the beaches sandy?
Is it too cut off from anywhere?

Cheers Jads

Ps About 20 degrees in cheltenham uk!
Wrong way round - it's Hawkes Bay that's too far out of the way! Wellington to Napier is just under 4 hours drive.

Live in Wellington, visit Hawkes Bay. Both have sandy beaches.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

jonesey will become famous soon enoughjonesey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jads
Cheers for all the info guys, feel better now (a bit of a shock reading all those other threads about negative NZ)!!
I reckon some people think that moving to a different country will solve all their problems they have in the UK, I think it only highlights them even more with a load more to deal with in NZ.
We have had some good remarks about Wellington, I just thought it was too far out of the way to even bothering looking. Maybe we should make a visit, how long a drive is it from Hawkes Bay?
Also does anyone have any thoughts of hawkes bay? Are the beaches sandy?
Is it too cut off from anywhere?

Cheers Jads

Ps About 20 degrees in cheltenham uk!
Hi Jads,

This is our second time out to NZ, 1st time we came out I worked in Auckland CBD financial area, went back after 2 years due to being on a working visa and couldn't get PR, unless I returned into service uniform in the RNZAF. We did just that and spend a lot of money returning to see family and we spend another 2 years in UK in the process. No regrets for doing that only a lot of expense doing it on our return having to rent for 2 years could not afford to get back on the mortgage ladder again. But finally returned in Oct 06 and doing well with 6,9 year old girls and 14 year old boy to the North Shore in Auckland, life is still good and settled in a weather board type house which does take a little getting used to in our short winter months but there are alternatives out there if you want them, central heating, HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilation) Air Con heating. But we have a log burner and that cost us $15 for offcuts at the local wood yard and we do fine with that and last maybe a month. We are 10 minutes drive from the East Coast Bays here on the North Shore and go out most weekends to give the kids a play out on the play park and beach. Take the negative threads with a pinch of salt and as long as you don't come out with rose tinted glasses, take stock of what you have in UK and compare your trip out here as a holiday, life is very different in many ways for all concerned, it has been a rollercoaster ride for us in 7 months we have been here, we find the cost of living very similar to UK in many ways to totally honest, we eat well, maybe not bother so much now with the way we buy clothes like we did in UK either, t-shirt and shorts weather most of the time. But overall life is still good here for us at the moment anyway, Lincoln was very flat and boring, houses were close together not as much space as here, yeah salary is not a kings ransom but you learn to accept the changes for the better, and you conserve what you earn and spend more on lifestyle than materialistic things.

All the best

Mick

Take a look at the thread we started.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...nzaf+transfers
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

natpryce will become famous soon enough

Hi Jads,
Good luck where ever you end up- I noticed you said you were worried about football in NZ don't worry, there is plenty of clubs around for your kids to join. As far as coaching goes my partners aunty used to play for the NZ womens side & is currently coaching the NZ womens team with her husband so if you want some contacts let me know & I'll put you in touch with them.
Sure the football talents not as good as the UK but they have plenty of heart.
Cheers
Nat
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Cheers Guys for all your views and advice.

Does anyone have any views on Hawkes Bay.

Cheers Jads
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jads,
can't help with your Hawkes Bay dilemma - we're in Welly. We did our recce in 2005 in a camper van and basically visited those places we would consider living in. I did like Hawkes Bay but love Welly.
Re he negative threads - there are good and bad things about anywhere - making the move is 90% attitude (IMHO) ad you seem to have the right attitude.
When we were coming out someone on the forum said "don't think better or worse - think different" and that's what we do. We celebrate the differences. We love our new life as do our kids - I wish you luck