Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

went to Expo in Edinburgh............

went to Expo in Edinburgh............

Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default went to Expo in Edinburgh............

......and came away with more questions and highlighted a mistake we had made.We spoke to a guy from NZIS who was as useless as a chocolate fireguard. However,after attending the Immigration 101 seminar things were a bit clearer !!LOL My OH is now thinking we should go down the WTR instead of SMC!!! We had assumed that as we live in Scotland that our national Disclosure Scotland police check would be accepted but it is not, this after I sent off £20 to get it! :curse:I had to go to my local police station and ask for a Data Protection Act 1998 form. If you take 2 bits of ID with you ( passport,birth cert,driving license) you can fill it out there and then.It costs £10 and should be returned within 40 days.I am glad we found this out now as I am about to post my application to the nursing council and I am sure they would have bounced it back due to the wrong police check.Also we were given conflicting info about when to submit our EOI but we have decided that I will look for a job while the police check is done and the nursing council do their stuff,so that when the time comes I will hopefully be able to put in the job offer as well as the NZ equivalent to my nursing qualification with the EOI.

The expo was a bit disappointing in that compared to other countries NZ did not seem to have as many exhibitors however the seminars were useful.We were also disappointed that there were no employers there only recruitment agencies. Apparently most only come over to the expos in London and not the regional ones. And there are different companies running different expos!! Got advice from moving companies,banks and,luckily for us ,the only panel doctor in Glasgow was there so we were able to ask re my husband's knee ( arthritis from old sporting injury) and how it may affect our application for PR. They had an ex-pat there telling about his experience of emigrating and offering advice on what to and not to do,for example do not underestimate how much having familiar things around you,especially for kids, will help you settle down easier. Also told us how more relaxed the schooling system especially primary seems to be.

Overall I would say it was a bit useful but at the same time disappointing as we thought it would be a bigger event.

Last edited by weejie; Feb 25th 2008 at 11:24 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:29 am
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default Re: went to Expo in Edinburgh............

We are going tothe Leeds one - different company I think - hope it's more useful - want a few employers there to see if hubby might want to take that route instead of NZAF.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

They have started listing the areas of work that will have employers attending the NZ Expo's.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
......and came away with more questions and highlighted a mistake we had made.We spoke to a guy from NZIS who was as useless as a chocolate fireguard. However,after attending the Immigration 101 seminar things were a bit clearer !!LOL My OH is now thinking we should go down the WTR instead of SMC!!! We had assumed that as we live in Scotland that our national Disclosure Scotland police check would be accepted but it is not, this after I sent off £20 to get it! :curse:I had to go to my local police station and ask for a Data Protection Act 1998 form. If you take 2 bits of ID with you ( passport,birth cert,driving license) you can fill it out there and then.It costs £10 and should be returned within 40 days.I am glad we found this out now as I am about to post my application to the nursing council and I am sure they would have bounced it back due to the wrong police check.Also we were given conflicting info about when to submit our EOI but we have decided that I will look for a job while the police check is done and the nursing council do their stuff,so that when the time comes I will hopefully be able to put in the job offer as well as the NZ equivalent to my nursing qualification with the EOI.

The expo was a bit disappointing in that compared to other countries NZ did not seem to have as many exhibitors however the seminars were useful.We were also disappointed that there were no employers there only recruitment agencies. Apparently most only come over to the expos in London and not the regional ones. And there are different companies running different expos!! Got advice from moving companies,banks and,luckily for us ,the only panel doctor in Glasgow was there so we were able to ask re my husband's knee ( arthritis from old sporting injury) and how it may affect our application for PR. They had an ex-pat there telling about his experience of emigrating and offering advice on what to and not to do,for example do not underestimate how much having familiar things around you,especially for kids, will help you settle down easier. Also told us how more relaxed the schooling system especially primary seems to be.

Overall I would say it was a bit useful but at the same time disappointing as we thought it would be a bigger event.
Sounds like a different one to the one I attended last year, which was 100% MOve to NZ and no other countries there, guess this was a general one for several other places too? Pity! Keep an eye out for the NZ only ones as agencies and employers do come to that one if they are running it anywhere...

Good luck with everything!!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

jleroux will become famous soon enoughjleroux will become famous soon enough

Lol, I thought I was the only was thinking that. The NZ people didn't give me a any proper answers and when they worked my points out I have 50 less than before? WTF!?!

Anyways It was a waste of time but I mightll be going to the London one.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:46 am
Just Joined

kiwi_janet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jleroux
Lol, I thought I was the only was thinking that. The NZ people didn't give me a any proper answers and when they worked my points out I have 50 less than before? WTF!?!

Anyways It was a waste of time but I mightll be going to the London one.
This one was called Emigrate: http://http://www.emigrate2.co.uk

I went to the Edinburgh one last year which was called Opportunities NZ: http://www.expo-newzealand.com/

That one was quite good and there were estate agents and employment agencies that the Emigrate one sorely lacked.

The Opportunies one is in Leeds and London this year and if you're planning to move this year then it could be worth checking out.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for info. Actually just been looking at going to Leeds 12/13 April. Arranging a babysitter as I type!!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spid
We are going tothe Leeds one - different company I think - hope it's more useful - want a few employers there to see if hubby might want to take that route instead of NZAF.
Looking into going to this ourselves now after disappointment with Edinburgh. Any ideas where you are likely to stay? I am trying to decide if get a place in Leeds centre so OH and I can go out in Leeds on Friday night and /or Saturday or go for somewhere on the outskirts. Looks like in-laws will take boys Fri/sat night
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by weejie
Thanks for info. Actually just been looking at going to Leeds 12/13 April. Arranging a babysitter as I type!!
ive just this minutes booked our tickets to 13th. £12.50 each and £20 babysitter. sorted
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:33 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markraynes
ive just this minutes booked our tickets to 13th. £12.50 each and £20 babysitter. sorted
we're going on the 12th - out-law (mother) is looking after kids possibly - but as they are that bit older they may want to come. Shall we all meet for a coffee?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spid
we're going on the 12th - out-law (mother) is looking after kids possibly - but as they are that bit older they may want to come. Shall we all meet for a coffee?
if your buying
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:45 pm
The Wicked One

if your buying
ha ha!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

oops ive not booked tickets. looks like ive just pre-registered, wat ever that means
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Lawson has a spectacular aura aboutSteve Lawson has a spectacular aura aboutSteve Lawson has a spectacular aura about

oops ive not booked tickets. looks like ive just pre-registered, wat ever that means
Ive got 4 comp tickets for the London (Sandown) show, this Sat/Sunday. If you PM me asap, you might be lucky (this isn't a con!)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:26 am
Just Joined

kiwi_janet is an unknown quantity at this point

It's our 10th anniversary the weekend of the London expo so OH and I are going to make a long weekend of it in London.