Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Welsh Family Moving to NZ -advice on suburbs around Auckland

Welsh Family Moving to NZ -advice on suburbs around Auckland

Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welsh Family Moving to NZ -advice on suburbs around Auckland

Hi Casper,
The areas around Greenlane are a bit expensive. Will you be looking to be near good schools too? There is something in Auckland called the "Grammar Zone" or "Double Grammar Zone" which is the zone for some of the most desirable state schools in the city. If you look for a house there you will pay a premium for it, as those in the area are in top demand:
Grammar zone pulls $500k premium - National - NZ Herald News

There are many suburbs within a 30 minute commute to the Greenlane. Are you looking to rent? Are you looking to buy? Would you be looking for a new house? Would a townhouse suit you? A house you can buy cheaper and renovate? Do you want land? Do you want to be near the beach? Do you need to be near the train? Greenlane is served by the main train line to the CBD. What is your budget, more or less? If we knew more we could try to make some suggestions.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a bargain, Its quite like my place except it hasn't got a 12 meter pool in the back garden like mine
and mine place was a 1/3 of the asking price, still its only $380k over priced so it must be a real snip
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=784591305
The $1700 a fortnight I save on the mortgage by not living in Auckland means I can live somewhere nice where salaries aren't so high
but it means I can earn $1700 net less a fortnight and still be just as well off, well I think better off, as I live in a lovely small kiwi town,
surounded by green pastures, rolling hills, quiet country roads, no traffic jams, in fact no traffic lights and yet I can get to Auckland
to see my friends in an hour and a half.

I'm not bitter about Auckland, I have nothing to be bitter about, I left because I hated the place and didnt want to live or work there
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:46 am
Banned

ajwbond is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Heres a bargain, Its quite like my place except it hasn't got a 12 meter pool in the back garden like mine
and mine place was a 1/3 of the asking price, still its only $380k over priced so it must be a real snip
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=784591305
Wow, this kind of thing never fails to amaze me, timber framed, timber clad and comes with a sturdy corrugated tin roof, bargain.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 25th 2014 at 9:27 pm. Reason: Please note: Previously banned several times. Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2014, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Meanwhile Casper (who believe has lived abroad before) goes off to find some sensible answers to the question on less bitter and moaning forums, as the record appears to be sticking again....
Old Oct 25th 2014, 9:34 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if everyone has read Casper's opening post properly.

Originally Posted by Casper
We will be moving to Auckland in January 2015. My husband will be based out of the Greenlane clinical centre. We wanted any advice regarding the best suburbs to look at about 30 mins from here. Any help would be great.
They're not asking for views on living in Auckland . The type of thread where you get the for and against of living in that city.

They were asking for advice about suburbs surrounding the area where they have an actual job offer. Practical help and advice.

They will be landing in January. They have no choice as to where Casper's OH will be working.

So, does anyone else have anything helpful to offer this family by way of where they could live first off & which would be sensible and practical given the location of the job offer.

Obviously after they have been here a while & get to know the area of Auckland and even something of NZ, they may choose to move .

But for starters they just need the help they asked for.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

January has yet to come, maybe after seeing some actual truths, they may decide its not such a great option afterall. All great if that's not the case, but at least they actually know.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:18 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984 View Post
January has yet to come, maybe after seeing some actual truths, they may decide its not such a great option afterall. All great if that's not the case, but at least they actually know.
What truths. Your truth will not be their truth. JMH's truth is not Justcol's.

As we know virtually nothing about their circumstances or situation we really cannot comment , other than to help with their query.

Casper and family are free to browse the threads that reflect other posters assorted viewpoints & opinions on all things Auckland. They will make up their own mind. If they come to have other queries regarding Auckland etc I am sure they will start another thread.

However, it remains the fact that for this thread, Casper was simply asking about suburbs around the area of the job offer.

So, can we please keep to that topic on this thread.

Thanks.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
deleted as above
I feel for you BEVs...

Justcol, just read Casper's original post again and the replies. Put yourself in Caspers shoes

Has anyone idea about what they are looking for...
They haven't asked if they should move to Auckland?
For all you know Mr Casper is an experienced Clinical Consultant, earning hundreds of thousands of dollars and a decent chunk of capital, or maybe he's newly trained junior nursing staff looking for a cheap rental. don't assume they are like you (meaning any of us)

Its such a shame when this happens, as mentioned, Casper likely looking elsewhere for some pointers on their fairly straight forward query..

The associated degeneration of the replies from the original question sums up my comment.

Last edited by Northern Henry; Oct 26th 2014 at 9:46 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

casper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Northern Henry. We are family of 4, with 2 children (9 & 12). We have chosen to move to Auckland as my husband has been offered a newly created Health & safety post with the DHB. I'm also a nurse. We visited Wellington in 2012 and loved the country and people, its just that Auckland was where the job is.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by casper View Post
Thanks Northern Henry. We are family of 4, with 2 children (9 & 12). We have chosen to move to Auckland as my husband has been offered a newly created Health & safety post with the DHB. I'm also a nurse. We visited Wellington in 2012 and loved the country and people, its just that Auckland was where the job is.
You are welcome, happy to help offline if this helps/ may be easier! private message me.
A few start connection this way now to avoid this ongoing debacle on anything related to Auckland.
links with ADHB involing Greenlane and City, live local to the area (and love it) and have a 9 year old daughter so could help with the whole settling in queries..
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:16 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the reason things get heated and the personal attacks start is because everyone's experience, as already stated is different, yet not many people punctuate their comments with "in my experience".
It is every bodies right to voice their experiences just some can be more verbal than others.
I personally still come on here as I had great advice from the members when we were looking and feel things could of been much much more difficult without the said advice so it's pay back time.
Those that say the "happier members don't post because they are out their "living a good life" may be right but I personally think it is a shame as they obvious have experiences that could also be helpful to those coming after them.

If anyone wants to continue with their own little discussions outside of the topic can they please do so privately or just let it drop.

Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casper View Post
Hi Casper, since you might be looking at school districts in each area, here's a link that can be a rough guide. In NZ schools are ranked by the relative wealth of the catchment area, and each school is designated a decile score, 1 being the most deprived, 10 the least. It's not an absolute guide to how well the schools achieve, but in my experience schools that are in low decile areas do tend to have problems with truancy and rough behaviour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_the_Auckland_Region

My own recommendation would be the Eastern bays around Howick. Although they're not the necessarily the most affordable of suburbs, they're not as expensive as the central areas near Greenlane. You would be near beaches and a large shopping mall. Although a house with a sea view will be very expensive, you can still enjoy the views as you drive around or visit some of the parks and beaches. I believe the North Shore is also a popular and desirable area, although I personally find it a bit congested for my taste. Howick is quieter, but if you're looking for lots of restaurants, shopping, and expats, the North Shore might be the place to look. There are lots of nice beaches there too.

Look on google maps to get a broad overview of Auckland. It's a very fractured area, with lots of inlets and peninsula The land actually narrows to an area barely more than a kilometre wide at Otahuhu. Some places (such as the Howick area) are only accessible from central Auckland via two bridges, which increases commute times, though I still think you'd make it in less than 30 minutes to Greenlane. Also, the entirety of the North Shore of Auckland is accessible via one large bridge only, or a long detour overland. There are no rail links north. Despite this, you might make it to Greenlane in a half an hour from the Shore, depending on how far you live from the motorway and at what time you leave for work.

Greenlane is a major rail stop, which might be another consideration as you look at suburbs.

Some people might recommend the western suburbs. The area around Titirangi has more bush, and is near the Waitakere ranges which has lots of good hiking trails.

The only places I'd really say you should avoid are Otara, or areas where the schools are Decile 1. Some western suburbs are a bit rough, as are some in South Auckland, but the North Shore has rough areas too. I think as you look at the real estate listings you'll get a feel for an area. Look at the TradeMe website "Property" listings. It's the major real estate advertising source.

Last edited by The Weezer; Oct 26th 2014 at 11:58 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 11:00 am
Just Joined

casper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond reputecasper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, The Weezer. We will have a good look at your suggestions
Old Oct 31st 2014, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

Sorry to jump on this thread, but we too are now considering which area to live in.

We will both be working in the CBD most likely, but too expensive to live there.

We are looking to find a small 2-bed house for around $500 per week.

My brother lives in te atatu south (where we'll stay for a couple of weeks), but he isn't sure of other areas. And we aren't sure whether we want to live that far out of he city (is it far?)

What's mount albert like? any views?
Old Oct 31st 2014, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few that live in Mt Albert, they're all old skool Kiwis with a bit of money behind them and the types for which the post code and being in the Grammar school zone matters.

This article will be a well out of date in terms of prices:

Property Report: So you want to live in... Mt Albert - Property - NZ Herald News

e.g. a rather dungy old three bedroom old place here needing updating -going for near to $1m

Wanting A Gladstone Zone Family Home? | Trade Me Property

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.