Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Welly Get Together

Welly Get Together

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:24 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Sophie_Wellington's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 59
Sophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant future
Exclamation Welly Get Together

Hi Everyone,

I have put everything about our new life into place, except there's one thing you can't plan for, ands that's losing your social circle and support network in one go

We would like to get to know a few peeps after we've settled in a bit, so if anyone's up for a few drinkies / dog walks etc, give us a shout!

I know a few peeps on here who I've chatted to a bit are from Welly so if you'd like to get together once we've arrived, please PM me with your email address / moby and we'll give you a shout once we've settled in

Once I've got a show of hands I'll put it in the diary on here if everyone can make it on the same day...

Not sure we'll have net access for the first month but hey, I've heard Starbucks has wi-fi enabled access so we should be able to logon from the laptop?
Sophie_Wellington is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 9:58 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Liz & Co's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: On the Beach - Mount Maunganui
Posts: 239
Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by Sophie_Wellington
Hi Everyone,

I have put everything about our new life into place, except there's one thing you can't plan for, ands that's losing your social circle and support network in one go

We would like to get to know a few peeps after we've settled in a bit, so if anyone's up for a few drinkies / dog walks etc, give us a shout!

I know a few peeps on here who I've chatted to a bit are from Welly so if you'd like to get together once we've arrived, please PM me with your email address / moby and we'll give you a shout once we've settled in

Once I've got a show of hands I'll put it in the diary on here if everyone can make it on the same day...

Not sure we'll have net access for the first month but hey, I've heard Starbucks has wi-fi enabled access so we should be able to logon from the laptop?
I'd love to meet up - I arrive same time as you! Unfortunately my dog will not arrive until I am sorted - hope it won't be too long or else I'll have to stalk you for a hold of your lead!!
Liz & Co is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:14 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: khandallah, wellington
Posts: 720
cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by Sophie_Wellington
Hi Everyone,

I have put everything about our new life into place, except there's one thing you can't plan for, ands that's losing your social circle and support network in one go

We would like to get to know a few peeps after we've settled in a bit, so if anyone's up for a few drinkies / dog walks etc, give us a shout!

I know a few peeps on here who I've chatted to a bit are from Welly so if you'd like to get together once we've arrived, please PM me with your email address / moby and we'll give you a shout once we've settled in

Once I've got a show of hands I'll put it in the diary on here if everyone can make it on the same day...

Not sure we'll have net access for the first month but hey, I've heard Starbucks has wi-fi enabled access so we should be able to logon from the laptop?
It'll be great to put faces to names - am sure Boopy will join us and Brackley's arriving about the same time.
cottageinthesky is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:33 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
poppets's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: waikanae
Posts: 4,148
poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by Sophie_Wellington
Hi Everyone,

I have put everything about our new life into place, except there's one thing you can't plan for, ands that's losing your social circle and support network in one go

We would like to get to know a few peeps after we've settled in a bit, so if anyone's up for a few drinkies / dog walks etc, give us a shout!

I know a few peeps on here who I've chatted to a bit are from Welly so if you'd like to get together once we've arrived, please PM me with your email address / moby and we'll give you a shout once we've settled in

Once I've got a show of hands I'll put it in the diary on here if everyone can make it on the same day...

Not sure we'll have net access for the first month but hey, I've heard Starbucks has wi-fi enabled access so we should be able to logon from the laptop?
i had a very soimilar idea the other night except i thought about a weekend away somewhere (like i dunno a a hoilday park in napier or somewhere central) we pick a holiday park between us, pick a weekend & each member books there own accomodation) hence 1 weekend of putting names to faces

good idea sophie count us in
poppets is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 12:58 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Sophie_Wellington's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 59
Sophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant future
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
I'd love to meet up - I arrive same time as you! Unfortunately my dog will not arrive until I am sorted - hope it won't be too long or else I'll have to stalk you for a hold of your lead!!
Hi Liz,

If you're arriving on 14th are you coming via Air NZ? We may even be on the same flight! We had to choose the LA route cos of the pets, but it's hellova journey.

Anyway, hope to catch up with u peeps soon, must get some shut-eye I'm going squint doing the insurance inventory
Sophie_Wellington is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 2:20 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Raumati South
Posts: 34
leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by Sophie_Wellington
Hi Liz,

If you're arriving on 14th are you coming via Air NZ? We may even be on the same flight! We had to choose the LA route cos of the pets, but it's hellova journey.

Anyway, hope to catch up with u peeps soon, must get some shut-eye I'm going squint doing the insurance inventory
I'd be interested....can bring my dogs now that they've arrived safe and sound
You can also get Telecom WiFi in the library, but if that proves as tiresome as I found it after a week or so, try getting a short term dial-up connection. Telecom WiFi is $20 for 1 hour....I paid $20 for a month dial-up from www.inspire.net.nz, you can sign-up online and get instant connection...slow but adequate.....nice to back on broadband though!!

Where in the Northwest are you from - we're from Chorley

Laurence
leedge is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:33 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: khandallah, wellington
Posts: 720
cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by leedge
I'd be interested....can bring my dogs now that they've arrived safe and sound
You can also get Telecom WiFi in the library, but if that proves as tiresome as I found it after a week or so, try getting a short term dial-up connection. Telecom WiFi is $20 for 1 hour....I paid $20 for a month dial-up from www.inspire.net.nz, you can sign-up online and get instant connection...slow but adequate.....nice to back on broadband though!!

Where in the Northwest are you from - we're from Chorley

Laurence
Good to hear all of you are here safe and sound - it's a big journey for our four-legged family members - what breed are your dogs - mine, The Beautiful Bruno, is a german shepherd.
cottageinthesky is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:38 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Raumati South
Posts: 34
leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Good to hear all of you are here safe and sound - it's a big journey for our four-legged family members - what breed are your dogs - mine, The Beautiful Bruno, is a german shepherd.
Thanks...I'd not seen them for 5 weeks, so I got *quite* a greeting from them - Barney & Blaven.....both Bearded Collies
leedge is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:43 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: khandallah, wellington
Posts: 720
cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by leedge
Thanks...I'd not seen them for 5 weeks, so I got *quite* a greeting from them - Barney & Blaven.....both Bearded Collies
Oh Boy, are they going to have a great time on the beach!
cottageinthesky is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:51 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Raumati South
Posts: 34
leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Oh Boy, are they going to have a great time on the beach!
Quite...probably a good time to buy shares in a vacuum cleaner manufacturer....Beardies & sand....not a good combination
leedge is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 9:43 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
SarahB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beachlands, East Auckland
Posts: 2,957
SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by leedge
Quite...probably a good time to buy shares in a vacuum cleaner manufacturer....Beardies & sand....not a good combination
Sorry to butt in.... my parents had a beardie years ago when I was a kiddie..... he was great! They werent well known then and we were always stopped everywhere with people wanting to know what breed he was... they are lovely dogs.
SarahB is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 9:47 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Boopy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Blenheim, NZ
Posts: 1,504
Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
It'll be great to put faces to names - am sure Boopy will join us and Brackley's arriving about the same time.
You're right! I'll join up for a meet and I'm sure Winnie will, she's up for a night out.

Boopy
Boopy is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 9:52 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Raumati South
Posts: 34
leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by SarahB
Sorry to butt in.... my parents had a beardie years ago when I was a kiddie..... he was great! They werent well known then and we were always stopped everywhere with people wanting to know what breed he was... they are lovely dogs.
Hi Sarah,
Butt in whenever you like!
I think beardies are still quite unusual in NZ - only one breeder, who I've been chattng to, and she says between my two and another brit who's just brought two in we've nearly doubled the beardie population in the N island I think she may just be exaggerating a little, but there aren't many.
They're the typically "shaggy dog"....much beloved by TV advertisers in the UK who seem to like to show very muddy beardies with very muddy young children in adverts for washing powder etc
leedge is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:00 am
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
SarahB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beachlands, East Auckland
Posts: 2,957
SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by leedge
Hi Sarah,
Butt in whenever you like!
I think beardies are still quite unusual in NZ - only one breeder, who I've been chattng to, and she says between my two and another brit who's just brought two in we've nearly doubled the beardie population in the N island I think she may just be exaggerating a little, but there aren't many.
They're the typically "shaggy dog"....much beloved by TV advertisers in the UK who seem to like to show very muddy beardies with very muddy young children in adverts for washing powder etc
You could be right .... I havnt seen any here yet. Apparently when we got ours all those years ago (and Im getting old!!).... it was one of the first litters in the country. His dad was a famous show winner and we picked the tiniest little dog pup who grew bigger than his dad. He was so small that I remember the breeder saying her kiddies used to dress him up in dolls clothes and push him around in a pram. They called him Little Spot for the black spot on his nose but we called him Toby. My parents were so upset when he passed away that they didnt have a dog for years.... they just couldnt replace him.... then about 13 years ago they got offered a scruffy black terrier from the local hunt kennel who didnt want her any more and now shes getting old too.
SarahB is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:54 am
  #15  
Member of Mumo-land
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: DownUnder
Posts: 771
mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Welly Get Together

Originally Posted by leedge
Hi Sarah,
Butt in whenever you like!
I think beardies are still quite unusual in NZ - only one breeder, who I've been chattng to, and she says between my two and another brit who's just brought two in we've nearly doubled the beardie population in the N island I think she may just be exaggerating a little, but there aren't many.
They're the typically "shaggy dog"....much beloved by TV advertisers in the UK who seem to like to show very muddy beardies with very muddy young children in adverts for washing powder etc
I'm butting in now. There's one that lives next door to me!
lady's father used to work with them in the South Island and she's got a soft spot for them.
mumomonty is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.