Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington Wind Farm

Wellington Wind Farm

Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wellington Wind Farm

Just typical you fly 10,000+ across the planet to start a new life, settle on an area you like start looking at property and such, then you find that there's a proposal for the worlds largest wind farm to be built in the area. Personally at the moment i'm not bothered, i'd much rather look at a wind turbine than a coal fired power station, but reading reports from...

http://www.res-nz.com/nz_infrastructure.html
http://www.puketiro.org/

and other sources - NZ Herald I'm beginning to wonder whether it might actually affect property prices. Not so much as a eyesore, but with regards to what I read in sun flicker, vibrations, persistent humming. Anyone else living in the area or in the know have any views on this?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington Wind Farm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Just typical you fly 10,000+ across the planet to start a new life, settle on an area you like start looking at property and such, then you find that there's a proposal for the worlds largest wind farm to be built in the area. Personally at the moment i'm not bothered, i'd much rather look at a wind turbine than a coal fired power station, but reading reports from...

and other sources - NZ Herald I'm beginning to wonder whether it might actually affect property prices. Not so much as a eyesore, but with regards to what I read in sun flicker, vibrations, persistent humming. Anyone else living in the area or in the know have any views on this?
I once went to a site in Yorkshire, there were about 15 of them there & to be honest they were fairly quiet. They did hum, but once you were a few 100m away you could hardly hear them at all.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:24 am
Just Joined

M00se is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought that was a really interesting question, as I would guess you would have to be pretty close to the turbine to get a light flicker. To see if that was true, I found this site which gives a whole lot of great information.

http://www.windpower.org/en/tour/env/shadow/shadow2.htm
'If you are farther away from a wind turbine rotor than about 500-1000 metres, the rotor of a wind turbine will not appear to be chopping the light, but the turbine will be regarded as an object with the sun behind it. Therefore, it is generally not necessary to consider shadow casting at such distances.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

We are planning to move to Wellington in January, and were hoping to settle north of the CBD, up towards the Kapiti coast.

In order to avoid the wind farm, can anyone suggest which areas we might want to look at?

Thanks!
Jane
Old Nov 14th 2007, 4:40 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Call me a cynic if you want, Simon, but I found your second link to be more about house values more than the immediate impact to the environment. I think the line "Altered property values & LIM report additions" should have been at the top of the list, and in bold.

Personally I think they're rather lovely, but I am skeptical that it would be visible from Porirua. Maybe from the Hutt in areas, but even if it were visible, is it so bad? Just my 2 cents.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Call me a cynic if you want, Simon, but I found your second link to be more about house values more than the immediate impact to the environment.
There's quite a few articles than spin of from this link that raise issues and thoughts in your mind.

[/QUOTE]I think the line "Altered property values & LIM report additions" should have been at the top of the list, and in bold.[/QUOTE]

Probably right, as it always boils down to money at the end of the day. I don't want to buy a property for $500k and six months later find it's worth only$450k.

[/QUOTE]Personally I think they're rather lovely, but I am skeptical that it would be visible from Porirua. Maybe from the Hutt in areas, but even if it were visible, is it so bad? Just my 2 cents. [/QUOTE]

Having seen and visited the wind farm just north of Palmy North, I find them quite asthetically pleasing to the eye myself. I'd rather look at them from my living room window or back garden than an coal fired power station.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:04 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I like the look of them!

And the ones up near Palmy don't seem that noisy

The general opinion seems to be "not in my back yard" but what choices do we have?

We have lots of wind, are anti-nuclear, coal and gas will be running out eventually, and we all keep buying more and more electronic stuff and expect it to work.

Wind farms are the logical way to go if you ask me!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:17 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

If your that concerned than don't move there.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:31 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Be VERY careful around wind farms. A friend of mine had a proposal for a wind farm of 8 turbines near her house. she fully supported it, liked the look of them etc environmentally sound electricity and all that.

When they were installed, they started to do something which is currently undocumented, but not unique. Not only do they synchronize, but they produce noises in different ranges. Some of which are at a low frequency that actually wake you up in the middle of the night. Her family have had to move out of their house which has developed cracks, when there 2 out of 3 nights they get disturbed sleep. Their house is unsaleable. even the moles moved out after a 20 year occupation.

I've been there overnight and it's amazing - you'll be asleep, but all of a sudden BOP - it's like someone hit you on the head. You're wide away, look over at the clock, note the time, fall back to sleep (if you can) BOP again awake, note the time.

At breakfast, everyone chimes in the same exact times that they were woken.

Bizarre.
Wind farms are really ruining this families life and livelihood (ever heard of a farmer who can't live in his farm house because of the noise?)

So be warned
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
If your that concerned than don't move there.
I'm only concerned about my pocket! Why buy a house in an area prior to go live on something (this case a wind farm) for x amount of $ when if i'd waited 6 months i might get something for $50k less or for the same money in my budget a bigger/better house. I don't even know whether property prices would be affected... in actual fact I know nothing at all!!

My reason for the thread was to see if anyone else had heard/seen/been involved with anything that might provide further insight into the effects it would have if built...

If all else fails is there any room in Miramar for a few more Pom's?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:57 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

I'm only concerned about my pocket! Why buy a house in an area prior to go live on something (this case a wind farm) for x amount of $ when if i'd waited 6 months i might get something for $50k less or for the same money in my budget a bigger/better house. I don't even know whether property prices would be affected... in actual fact I know nothing at all!!

My reason for the thread was to see if anyone else had heard/seen/been involved with anything that might provide further insight into the effects it would have if built...

If all else fails is there any room in Miramar for a few more Pom's?
Matey, the problem maybe a house prce drop. So the house you buy now may be less in 6mths time anyway.

Always room in Miramar, loads of bloody sub-division.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Matey, the problem maybe a house prce drop. So the house you buy now may be less in 6mths time anyway.

Always room in Miramar, loads of bloody sub-division.
True...
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:21 am
Winter hibernator

So a plot of land and a tent should be okay over summer, winter may be a problem though
Old Nov 15th 2007, 4:43 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

So a plot of land and a tent should be okay over summer, winter may be a problem though

Come to lovely Aotea! Apparently more Brits than any other nationality are buying here. Is that good or bad?
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:53 am
Winter hibernator

Originally Posted by Maz

Come to lovely Aotea! Apparently more Brits than any other nationality are buying here. Is that good or bad?
Well if you want to be in Britian than hey. Sadly my lawyer has informed me I can't talk anymore on the top of housing and Porirua, something about slander ??.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.