Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington- where to live

Wellington- where to live

Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington- where to live

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Have a look here its become my bible!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lington_Region

Dewb
Thanks Dewb and everyone. I think this list will be useful reading material for the missus!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:03 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

So you mentioned schools are important.

Do look carefully at where you rent / live. Many schools are tightly zoned so living outside the zone and you will have difficulty getting in. The decile rating refers to the income of the families with children at the school. The higher the decile the richer the parents, and the less central funding it gets so the higher the 'donations' (effectiely state school fees). Of course no one will deny there is a corolation between decile and performance but it's by no mean a direct one. The ERO reports give you a better view. try this link that gives you access to school lists, declie rating, zones and ERO reports.

http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/

Private schools can be very expensive especially in disposable income terms. Most have web sites so you can look them up. In Whitby the private school is Samuel Marsdens which is supposed to be very good BUT once they go to high school they are bussed in to the city.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:21 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to mention Tawa as well. Is the college currently decile 9? I know it varies, 9 some years, others 10.

Not private but a pretty good mix. Although it's reasonably common for people in the area to choose the private schools or single sex schools in town as well - and the public transport makes this possible.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

KazUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I was going to mention Tawa as well. Is the college currently decile 9? I know it varies, 9 some years, others 10.

Not private but a pretty good mix. Although it's reasonably common for people in the area to choose the private schools or single sex schools in town as well - and the public transport makes this possible.
says on wiki tawa college is decile 9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawa_College

i guess years 9 -13 is ages 12-16 or is it for older kids?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:18 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh yep Decile 9 it is.

Years 9 -13 are the normal years for high school here. This roughly means the would be about 13 when they start and 18/nearly 18 when they finish.

If you are concerned about ages here's my example:

I was born in January 1980.
I started primary school in January 1985. Primary schools cover year 0 -6.
I started intermediate in January 1991. Intermediate is years 7& 8 and is the final 2 years of primary school. Some primary schools which have year 0 - 6 also have years 7 and 8.

I started high school in January 1993. That was year 9. Actually, then it was 3rd Form. But now it's year 9.

I completed high school in December 1997. That would have been year 13.

I went to University in 1998. ie the following year.