Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington weather is shit!

Wellington weather is shit!

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wellington weather is shit!

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Mountain biking. Not sure about Akatarawas, I havene't been there for about a year and then I was on a 250 honda. Makara peak is pretty good for mountain biking though.
My hubbie did the Karapoti race in the Akatarawas a couple of years ago and just about died. Apparantly it has really good tracks and heaps of them, so cool to have that kind of riding so close by. Down here in Christchurch we are spoilt, heaps of single track so close by.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perdana
Oh go on show off!!! I took the kids to a local park today, absolutely freezing, couldnt feel my toes!
Hope you're feeling ok
X
About time summer arrived anyway.... the winter has been so long. Theres not a cloud in the sky today and it was lovely and warm even at 9am. Im off to see my midwife for the last time soon and then promised littlun we can have early lunch and then off to the beach. I'm feeling fine again today thanks!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:46 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Very possible, you just need to get off your arse and do something about it like installing heat pumps, rather than whinging about it. Oh, and buy a properly insulated house in the first place (ie anything built since about 2000) - that's called market research.
Ours is insulated and it was built in the early 70s - I think the people we bought it from did it. Whoever, God bless them We've got a wood burner too and it's ace. My brother has just put one (well - a multi-fuel one) in his brand new house that he built himself and runs his radiators off it - in Ireland! My mum's central heating is also solid fuel. I think most people on here probably come from cities or towns that have gas supply - if you're out in the sticks you don't have that and unless you've got oil (expensive now) you don't have the option of flicking a switch for instant heat.

Anyway, there's no reason for anyone on here, yet to arrive, to have to suffer a cold house. Even two years ago there was enough information that, when we were looking, I knew to look for a house with a woodburner and insulation. If you can't find one, you've got to ensure you've got enough in your budget to do the necessary. That, say, $10k should be as important to everyone as their house deposit is.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Or, instead of buying a heat pump and a new leaky house, why not just buy a one way ticket to a warmer country?
Because Oz is full of Australians and the losers who can't make it in NZ
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 5:00 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Before you came back to NZ where were you? Never mind, I remember now, you're the bloke who left NZ for 20 odd years cos it was so good. Thankfully, though, you're back where you belong.

Last edited by Dirk1971; Jan 3rd 2007 at 5:10 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I could not get in Oz, but NZ wanted me and guided me in with open arms.
I now know why, anyway you went over to the UK to earn a good crust, why was that? Because the wages are better?

Go on say it......................you went for the experience
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
I could not get in Oz, but NZ wanted me and guided me in with open arms.
I now know why, anyway you went over to the UK to earn a good crust, why was that? Because the wages are better?

Go on say it......................you went for the experience
Oh and PS even tho I've been here for over 3 years, I have gone or been accepted in to OZ on my own merits, and have not used NZ as a stepping stone.....................saying that I would have.

But hey Lapsed Kiwi you must have a GB passport
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - my comment about NZ to Oz migrants was meant to be tongue in cheek, and best of luck to all who make that move. I think we all need to go where is best for us, for whatever reasons. Personally, I find Aussies a bit brash and full of themselves - and I appreciate that's a huge generalization - and the whole country a bit too much of a wannabe little USA. But that's just my opinion and I've never lived there, but have visited several times and worked with quite a few Aussies.
For the record, I went to the UK when I left school in NZ, intending to stay for 5-10 years and there always seemed to be a reason for another 2, 3 or 5, but I always wanted to come back to NZ and I'm glad I have, now. Being in the UK turned out to be quite good financially for me, but my close friends and brother who stayed in NZ have all done well for themselves too. Similarly, people I've met who joined the NZ Navy at the same time I joined the UK Navy seem to have done well, so I think it's fair to stay you can succeed in NZ, although it might take a bit more tenacity than in the UK.

Last edited by lapsed kiwi; Jan 3rd 2007 at 5:39 am. Reason: can't type
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry - my comment about NZ to Oz migrants was meant to be tongue in cheek, and best of luck to all who make that move. I think we all need to go where is best for us, for whatever reasons. Personally, I find Aussies a bit brash and full of themselves - and I appreciate that's a huge generalization - and the whole country a bit too much of a wannabe little USA. But that's just my opinion and I've never lived there, but have visited several times and worked with quite a few Aussies.
For the record, I went to the UK when I left school in NZ, intending to stay for 5-10 years and there always seemed to be a reason for another 2, 3 or 5, but I always wanted to come back to NZ and I'm glad I have, now. Being in the UK turned out to be quite good financially for me, but my close friends and brother who stayed in NZ have all done well for themselves too. Similarly, people I've met who joined the NZ Navy at the same time I joined the UK Navy seem to have done well, so I think it's fair to stay you can succeed in NZ, although it might take a bit more tenacity than in the UK.
Can I just say.......................this is one of the most well balanced, honest post's I've read on here or on any other forum

Bloody good on you for being so honest.........you didn't need too

I'm off to Oz (as you know ) NZ did not tick all my boxes, but it will be right for a huge percentage of people.

Thank's for that post, your a Kiwi who "look's both way's"

Ian
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now I know!

Ahhhhhhhhhh.............so I'm a loser..........phew for a minute there I was a little bit worried!

Sending you some much needed Karma...................
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

I must get some Karma, give it up baby
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

davec987 will become famous soon enoughdavec987 will become famous soon enough

I'm moving back to Wellington in May - just in time for a tropical Winter no doubt! I grew up there and came over to the UK for 2 years. Ha, well 11 years later I'll be heading back with my English partner.
I keep in regular contact with friends and family still in Welly and the weather sounds bloody awful!! I must say I have never missed the wind since I moved away but I'm going to have to get used to it again! :scared:

We are both really looking forward to our move to NZ, we could have gone for Aus but for us that is not where we want to be. One of my brothers and my Mum live there now and they couldn't be happier.

We shall see how we get on, our aim is to move to somewhere around Nelson in a couple of years once we see how we settle and how we are getting on financially etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that only you will know how happy you are living somewhere. Everyone is different, people enjoy different things and for different reasons.

I'm just hoping the weather gets a bit better than it has been in Welly! As the song goes ... "You can't beat Wellington on a good day" - they just seem few and far between! LOL
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Another gorgeous day here in Auckland.... maybe summer is here at last??!

Spent all of yesterday afternoon down on the beach with my son, both caked in suncream of course. It got a bit warm for me after a bit so we retreated to the park where there was some shade. Its so nice here when its warm and sunny.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:02 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by davec987
I'm moving back to Wellington in May - just in time for a tropical Winter no doubt! I grew up there and came over to the UK for 2 years. Ha, well 11 years later I'll be heading back with my English partner.
I keep in regular contact with friends and family still in Welly and the weather sounds bloody awful!! I must say I have never missed the wind since I moved away but I'm going to have to get used to it again! :scared:

We are both really looking forward to our move to NZ, we could have gone for Aus but for us that is not where we want to be. One of my brothers and my Mum live there now and they couldn't be happier.

We shall see how we get on, our aim is to move to somewhere around Nelson in a couple of years once we see how we settle and how we are getting on financially etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that only you will know how happy you are living somewhere. Everyone is different, people enjoy different things and for different reasons.

I'm just hoping the weather gets a bit better than it has been in Welly! As the song goes ... "You can't beat Wellington on a good day" - they just seem few and far between! LOL

Almost perfect day in Welly today! No wind (incredible), sunny, and a few clouds. Yes!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:27 pm
Banned

clouds rolling in...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.