Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington weather is shit!

Wellington weather is shit!

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington weather is shit!

We are going to put some heating in this house we have bought before next winter. Not sure what yet but maybe will check out Heat Pumps first. Its the first thing we need to buy when OH sells his house. I cant stand being cold.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SarahB
Reminds me of the rental house we were in..... there was a logburner upstairs in one of the living areas. It was absolutely boiling in that room and the rest of the house was ruddy freezing. All the bedrooms were downstairs and in the winter I couldnt even use the downstairs bathroom in the evenings as it was way too cold. Silly designed house.
Hate to say this, (not directed at you SarahB) but if you read some of the Oz threads, these are the same sort of complaints Brits make about heating and housing in Australia.

Some new migrants are all very cocky about their central heating back home, but I can assure you the days of central heating in the UK are numbered.
It's been a 30 year bonanza but will end once the gas has finally been squandered.
About another five to ten years worth is the estimate.
Then it's back to ice on the inside of windows and being able to see your breath indoors
Remember it?

Kip
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We actually did love the log burner.... but it was in the wrong place. The house was an odd design with lots of wasted space too. Id have another log burner here but with a toddler who cant stop meddling and another on the way I just dont feel too safe about having one downstairs. We will shop around and see whats best for this old house.

The condensation in the rental house was terrible. It had tiled floors everywhere which made it seem even colder. Clothes in the cupboards smelt of mould and damp. We havnt had a winter here in this house but at least its our own so we can do what we want to it.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Feanor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kippers
I see from the latest published statistics that 19,000 Kiwi's moved permanently to Oz in the last year but 14,000 Australians moved permanently to NZ.
And behold, the average IQ of both countries increased.

I grew up on the Kapiti Coast and remember the weather being quite good, but I agree that Wellington weather is shit. I moved to the US in 2003, but everytime I talk to my mum she tells me a story about how bad the weather is back in Wellington.

Oh, and my wife still has nightmares about the week she spent in my freezing cold NZ house in September 2002. I had to follow her around with a gas heater to stave off hypothermia.

Last edited by Feanor; Jan 2nd 2007 at 1:37 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Cold New Zealand houses...let's not go there

Instead.....Can you imagine saying "Oz houses...living room nice and cool - rest of the house hot as hell"

Or do Ozzies air condition their houses more effectively than New Zealanders heat theirs?...(is it even possible to heat a new zealand house? )
Very possible, you just need to get off your arse and do something about it like installing heat pumps, rather than whinging about it. Oh, and buy a properly insulated house in the first place (ie anything built since about 2000) - that's called market research.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Very possible, you just need to get off your arse and do something about it like installing heat pumps, rather than whinging about it. Oh, and buy a properly insulated house in the first place (ie anything built since about 2000) - that's called market research.
I can feel a dance round someone's hand bag coming on
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just wanted to say that the weather is perfect here in Auckland today.... typical, just when everyone goes back to work. Got a bit of house work to do then I'm off to the beach later... Sarah X
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Perdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SarahB
Just wanted to say that the weather is perfect here in Auckland today.... typical, just when everyone goes back to work. Got a bit of house work to do then I'm off to the beach later... Sarah X
Oh go on show off!!! I took the kids to a local park today, absolutely freezing, couldnt feel my toes!
Hope you're feeling ok
X
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:24 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
4 days and that's enough to make you move country?...
No, five years... I could move somewhere warmer in NZ but why bother? My attitude is, if you're going to move to Auckland/Christchurch you may as well move to OZ.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:27 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Wellington weather is shit!

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Or, instead of buying a heat pump and a new leaky house, why not just buy a one way ticket to a warmer country?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:31 pm
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute

Because some people obviously wish to stay in NZ and not move to Oz
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by andy&georgina
Because some people obviously wish to stay in NZ and not move to Oz
True, some people love Wellington. It's not a bad place, just cold, wet, windy and grey.It has redeeming points, although none spring to mind.

I went for a bike ride around red rocks on Boxing day, that is the seal colony out near Makara. There's a few batches there, and one guy has a shack and a few chickens and lives there permanently.

Of course it was howling a gale, and I felt like I was cycling across the lunar landscape of the moon with all the dust. I noticed some had Bbq gear out. Ha ha ha.

Yep, some people enjoy it.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dirk1971

I went for a bike ride around red rocks on Boxing day, that is the seal colony out near Makara. There's a few batches there, and one guy has a shack and a few chickens and lives there permanently.
Dirk, are you a roadie or a mtb'er?
If the latter have you been for a ride out to Makara Peak or in the Akatarawas lately? I haven't been there for a wee while and I heard that there was heaps of trackbuilding there over the last year or two.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Apple12
Dirk, are you a roadie or a mtb'er?
If the latter have you been for a ride out to Makara Peak or in the Akatarawas lately? I haven't been there for a wee while and I heard that there was heaps of trackbuilding there over the last year or two.
Mountain biking. Not sure about Akatarawas, I havene't been there for about a year and then I was on a 250 honda. Makara peak is pretty good for mountain biking though.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Darn and double darn!

Raining today, still shorts and t shirt temperature.................but wet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.