Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington weather is shit!

Wellington weather is shit!

Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all
Default Re: Wellington weather is shit!

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hiya.... we came in June 05 so getting on for 2 years now. We did not visit here first but I did say that I wouldnt come without PR. We nearly moved here a few years ago but that fell through that time.... then OH got an email in December 04 asking if he wanted to work and live over here so we just said yes and went for it. So 6 months later we were here.

My only regret is that I dont get to see my folks.... I have taken their only grandchildren away from them... but they still supported our decision 100% and have been out here to see us and hopefully will come next January too.
Saying goodbye is the hardest thing Ive even had to do and it didnt get any easier when they came here and I had to say goodbye again, I cried for days.

We were lucky when we found Beachlands, it just felt right and I fell in love with the place the first time I visited. We rented for a year and then I sold my little house in UK last year and we bought this old villa, and our other house in UK has just sold this week.

The weather is pretty good... despite people moaning about Aucklands weather on here..... its mild nearly all the year round... it can be very wet but as I hate being cold it suits me down to the ground. I never ever get fed up with the views of the coastline around here, they are stunning....even now after 2 years I still go for a drive down the coastroad and marvel at the beauty.

IMO its a nicer place to bring up children than where we lived in the UK... there is a huge British population in Beachlands and one of the new estates is called Little Britain by the locals....80% brits buying the houses there. I have a good network of friends and we look out for each other.

My OH loves it here as I think he had a secret hankering to be a Fire Fighter and now hes in the volunteers and loves it. I think that reason alone would stop him from ever moving back to the UK... as he wasnt allowed to be a FF there.

No regrets .... just wish I could see my folks more often, they have a new webcam and cant get it working!!!!
I hear that leaving people behind is what people dread most and although I will hate leaving my family and friends behind, I think the lifestyle that NZ can offer us and the children far outweighs any reason to stay.

My other half in particular, is totally fed up with the UK - taxes, house prices, youth culture - if NZ is meant to be the UK of 30 years ago then that is fine by us.

We had looked at other countries - France and Bulgaria (where we have an apartment), but NZ seems to make far more sense. With the other half being a carpenter, I'd imagine he'd have no problem finding work - its just having the bottle to take the plunge.

How long did it take for you to get your PR?
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
I
How long did it take for you to get your PR?
ermmm.... youll hate me for this!! 2 days. Sent it in on the tuesday by registered post and I traced it on the internet and they got it at 9.14am and on thursday I got a call from them telling me to go and book our flights!

Yes, it is totally awful leaving your family. Dont underestimate how upsetting it is. My folks paid for us to go by limo to LHR when we left and the driver mustve wondered why I cried all the way!!

Do I think its like UK 30 years??? In some ways maybe but not others.... I just asked my OH what he thinks and he says and I quote "its like living in a country thats half arsed".... lol ... I just asked him to explain and hes on about the houses (even the one we live in) and the roads round Auckland... if anything can be done cheap or they can get away with doing only half a job then they do. Thats his opinion lol. He still likes it here though and seems happier than he did in the UK.... in fact we are both happier than we were before and we have even taken the plunge and just had a little kiwi baby, I wasnt going to have anymore.

When are you hoping to move here??

Last edited by SarahB; Apr 6th 2007 at 9:25 am.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

ermmm.... youll hate me for this!! 2 days. Sent it in on the tuesday by registered post and I traced it on the internet and they got it at 9.14am and on thursday I got a call from them telling me to go and book our flights!

Yes, it is totally awful leaving your family. Dont underestimate how upsetting it is. My folks paid for us to go by limo to LHR when we left and the driver mustve wondered why I cried all the way!!

Do I think its like UK 30 years??? In some ways maybe but not others.... I just asked my OH what he thinks and he says and I quote "its like living in a country thats half arsed".... lol ... I just asked him to explain and hes on about the houses (even the one we live in) and the roads round Auckland... if anything can be done cheap or they can get away with doing only half a job then they do. Thats his opinion lol. He still likes it here though and seems happier than he did in the UK.... in fact we are both happier than we were before and we have even taken the plunge and just had a little kiwi baby, I wasnt going to have anymore.

When are you hoping to move here??
Wellll!!!!!!!! I have mentioned that my other half is a carpenter, so it will be as long as it takes him to finish the place we are living in - it has been seven years so far!

We get married on 1st June and then he is hoping to get the guys in for a week - plastering needs doing (just about everywhere!), flooring in the kitchen, carpet in the hall and painting everywhere bar the living and dining room. I had a temper tantrum before Christmas and it finally got down. I find I have to have lots of temper tantrums to get anything done!

I think my feelings are the sooner the better, I guess the easiest way for Steve to find a job is to be out there. The next Expo isn't until October. It's just a case on trying to narrow down the areas we should look at!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Wellll!!!!!!!! I have mentioned that my other half is a carpenter, so it will be as long as it takes him to finish the place we are living in - it has been seven years so far!

We get married on 1st June and then he is hoping to get the guys in for a week - plastering needs doing (just about everywhere!), flooring in the kitchen, carpet in the hall and painting everywhere bar the living and dining room. I had a temper tantrum before Christmas and it finally got down. I find I have to have lots of temper tantrums to get anything done!

I think my feelings are the sooner the better, I guess the easiest way for Steve to find a job is to be out there. The next Expo isn't until October. It's just a case on trying to narrow down the areas we should look at!
Its hard to know where youd like to live til you get here.... I cant say for any other place coz I havnt really been anywhere yet. It depends where you can get work really doesnt it. Everyone likes different things.... what I like or need is totally different to the next person. We are near Auckland as the job offer was here..... the weather suits me as I have metal in my leg and if I get any cold in it I get pain and end up limping. I dont find it too humid here either.... its not too windy normally, we get a sea breeze but thats pleasant... the one weather I really dont like is very windy weather. I also wanted to keep a horse so needed fields close by and theres plenty round here.

So I'm pretty happy here (apart from missing family of course)... if I can help in any other way feel free to ask me, I'm usually on here in the evenings....... coz TV is crap! lol
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:04 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

if I can help in any other way feel free to ask me, I'm usually on here in the evenings....... coz TV is crap! lol

Apparently, not so bad this evening as there are no adverts due to the 'no trading on Good Friday' type rule
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karonious
Apparently, not so bad this evening as there are no adverts due to the 'no trading on Good Friday' type rule
Yeah it was nice to watch Neighbours earlier without the adverts!! great! I guess Im just not much of a TV watcher. I like the odd reality show (yes I admit to being a saddo!)... why dont they have a NZ Big Bro??
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you! I'll apologise in advice for any silly questions I ask - I'm basically clueless.

Talking of TV, how bad is it, I assume you have Sky equavilent, do you get any British or American programmes?

What is the cost of living like, i.e. Gas, electric, water (I know council tax is considerably cheaper!), food, clothes.

Also - here's the silly question - our appliances and tools run on the same wattage?! Other half wanted to know, mainly because of his tools.

Did any of you out there ship your worldly good over?! Just wondered roughly how much that would cost!

It's lunchtime here, have popped out to get the essentials - bread, milk, wine and more wine!, but the kids and I are now back waiting for all the relatives to come round with more chocolate eggs than is good for them! Should really be doing something with them, as today is meant to reach the scorching temperatures of 17C!!!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

It was ok when we were there......... except for the "slight breeze"! LOL!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:38 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it was nice to watch Neighbours earlier without the adverts!! great! I guess Im just not much of a TV watcher. I like the odd reality show (yes I admit to being a saddo!)... why dont they have a NZ Big Bro??
Noooo! We don't need any of that rubbish!
It's bad enough having all the US reality TV
Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Noooo! We don't need any of that rubbish!
It's bad enough having all the US reality TV
Going off on a tangent, but I love all the photos you have posted. Do you run a sancturary or wildlife Centre?

Steve and I have just been trying to gently prepare our six year old son for a move to NZ. How would you like to wander down to a beach to see dolphins and whales? How would you like to grow your own fruit trees in your garden? How would you like to live in a house where you don't have to worry about the neighbours below? (We live in a house converted in to flats).

I have just told Steve that I am definite about a move to NZ, he has admitted to needing a push. He's a Libran - do I need to say more! Not that I'm into Astrology, I hasten to add!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:17 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Going off on a tangent, but I love all the photos you have posted. Do you run a sancturary or wildlife Centre?

I wish! I'd love to do something like that. I work in IT.

We visit every wildlife place and zoo we can wherever we go. We both love animals. And of course we can't help taking loads of pictures.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wish! I'd love to do something like that. I work in IT.

We visit every wildlife place and zoo we can wherever we go. We both love animals. And of course we can't help taking loads of pictures.
Sorry, I slight difference! Animals or computers! I just saw your photos on Rheas - you said something about having a couple but not wild ones! Then again I have just shipped off a friend in a taxi having had too much wine, so my reading and typing skills are somewhat limited (this is taking ages, as I keep hitting the wrong keys!).

We are veering towards Wellingtons, whereabouts is Tawa? Not that we're going to descend on you or anything, just trying to get our bearings!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:52 pm
Happy in Wellington

Sorry, I slight difference! Animals or computers! I just saw your photos on Rheas - you said something about having a couple but not wild ones! Then again I have just shipped off a friend in a taxi having had too much wine, so my reading and typing skills are somewhat limited (this is taking ages, as I keep hitting the wrong keys!).

We are veering towards Wellingtons, whereabouts is Tawa? Not that we're going to descend on you or anything, just trying to get our bearings!
Tawa's North Wellington - about 15 minutes out by car or train.

It's the place to be
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Tawa's North Wellington - about 15 minutes out by car or train.

It's the place to be
Well said brother Rob. Porirua has some of the finest posters known to man!!
Rock on Pori-you lovely people!!