Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington weather is shit!

Wellington weather is shit!

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:20 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington weather is shit!

Originally Posted by cherry
I may be wrong but I saw somewhere that NZ had a climate similar to the UK so why would people come here to complain about Wellies weather,I love it ,doing a days work in steaming hot sun and humidity is not my idea of fun,we had a week in the northland last feb and it was too muggy and hot day and night.I love wellies weather.
Oh well I don't work so alls cool
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:05 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sky
I forgive you it's horrible the latter end of pregnancy.
What a fab time of year to have a baby in nz though bet you can't wait
Originally Posted by sky
Oh well I don't work so alls cool

As I sit here with my ice cool aussie beer(cant stand kiwi pee) I am cool also and my other half does not work either as I earn so much being top of the tree in my game I say what I want an hour and they pay .
Thats why I love it here ,exploiting it to the hilt as we colonialist should do.Take note all the pommie whingers its here to work for you not them Racist ,erm not really but I do not owe anyone a living .
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:13 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherry

As I sit here with my ice cool aussie beer(cant stand kiwi pee) I am cool also and my other half does not work either as I earn so much being top of the tree in my game I say what I want an hour and they pay .
Thats why I love it here ,exploiting it to the hilt as we colonialist should do.Take note all the pommie whingers its here to work for you not them Racist ,erm not really but I do not owe anyone a living .
That's nice ( usure what the hell you are getting at smiley)
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eeagles
Hey I remember pre-central heating well. Actually I've only lived in a house with central heating since 2000 and that was broken for two years (until this winter). Now the central heating is working, while it's lovely, my throat is always dry and I suffer something that is a little like asthma. I welcome adapting to life without central heating! I like double glazing though - that seems sensible, more energy efficient. I'm not put of by Wellington's weather yet - just more prepared.

We've had a mild winter so far, but some very windy days. But mostly it goes mad at night... I know as it wakes me up so I can watch my daughter's play house move from one end of the garden to the other.

Elaine

Winter, spring & summer have been the worst here in years - that warrants complaints about it. But you can't beat Wellington when the sun shines.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

eeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to all

I woz just talking to a colleague who came back from Wellington this Weekend (back to UK) and I asked him if the weather really really was s**t. He said, it was mostly blue skies, sunny, just lovely weather. He was there for 6 weeks. Is it that different throughout Wellington?

Actually I think our seasons are all merging into one... a little colder in winter than summer. Autumn, well it was almost winter before the leaves started to fall off the trees - our trees never did become bare this year, they're still covered in brown leaves, but our holly tree was full of berries in late Summer/ early autumn, which is normally the case in December. It might be different elsewhere in the UK, I'm just referring to my garden in East of the UK - it's all going very noticeably odd.

Also apparently research states that the UK will be a lot colder in the future coz of global warming - the seas becoming colder due to ice meling and weakening of the gulf stream, etc. They reckon all this is happening quicker than they expected.

We do love talking about the weather us Brits. But, what's most of that gotta do with the weather in Wellington? Not a lot, just had me thinking...

Me, hubby and kids will be visiting your lovely country in March / April... apparently it rains a lot then. I'll be working most of the time (Newlands). Husband and kids will be holidaying. So, we'll bring our waterproofs - nothing new there.

Enjoy the sun.
Elaine

Last edited by eeagles; Jan 22nd 2007 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eeagles
I woz just talking to a colleague who came back from Wellington this Weekend (back to UK) and I asked him if the weather really really was s**t. He said, it was mostly blue skies, sunny, just lovely weather. He was there for 6 weeks. Is it that different throughout Wellington?

Actually I think our seasons are all merging into one... a little colder in winter than summer. Autumn, well it was almost winter before the leaves started to fall off the trees - our trees never did become bare this year, they're still covered in brown leaves, but our holly tree was full of berries in late Summer/ early autumn, which is normally the case in December. It might be different elsewhere in the UK, I'm just referring to my garden in East of the UK - it's all going very noticeably odd.

Also apparently research states that the UK will be a lot colder in the future coz of global warming - the seas becoming colder due to ice meling and weakening of the gulf stream, etc. They reckon all this is happening quicker than they expected.

We do love talking about the weather us Brits. But, what's most of that gotta do with the weather in Wellington? Not a lot, just had me thinking...

Me, hubby and kids will be visiting your lovely country in March / April... apparently it rains a lot then. I'll be working most of the time (Newlands). Husband and kids will be holidaying. So, we'll bring our waterproofs - nothing new there.

Enjoy the sun.
Elaine
Even in the winter months we have our share of blue skies, yes it rains and it's windy, but it's not grey for 6 months of the year.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Twig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really nice

OH and me have a choice between Auckland and wellington. OH was ready to scrap wellie cos he's like's his sun but I've been saying we shouldn't rule it out altogether.

However...after reading thread, two words spring to mind....'nail' and 'coffin'.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Twig
OH and me have a choice between Auckland and wellington. OH was ready to scrap wellie cos he's like's his sun but I've been saying we shouldn't rule it out altogether.

However...after reading thread, two words spring to mind....'nail' and 'coffin'.
We're in the same boat - so to speak!

Have spent several days reading peoples postings and blogs, trying to get some idea of where to start looking!

Wellington seems to be getting rather bad press at the moment, due to the weather!

Can anyone help with regards to suburbs in Auckland - which areas are nice and which should we avoid! My OM is a carpenter, so I'm hoping he shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job?!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=RedMonsk;4597905]king!

Wellington seems to be getting rather bad press at the moment, due to the weather!

QUOTE]

Where does the UK get it's info. Today it's raining, but for months it's been glorious. Last Friday here in Welly was the hottest in the country at 29c.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Twig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really niceTwig is just really nice

I read somewhere that Wellie's comparable cities (northern hemisphere) were Rome in Italy and Salt Lake City in Utah. Although with colder winters due to varying affects of the pacific. However, general consensus on this forum suggests Wellie has an excellent culture, a fabulous city.....with bad weather. So not so sure about those comparables!

And let's face it, weather is a very good reason for moving/not moving somewhere, we're all happier with a little sun on our faces.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Twig
I read somewhere that Wellie's comparable cities (northern hemisphere) were Rome in Italy and Salt Lake City in Utah. Although with colder winters due to varying affects of the pacific. However, general consensus on this forum suggests Wellie has an excellent culture, a fabulous city.....with bad weather. So not so sure about those comparables!

And let's face it, weather is a very good reason for moving/not moving somewhere, we're all happier with a little sun on our faces.

It depends on what you want in a move and what kind of weather you want. If you want hot, hot, hot, OZ is the place to be.
We came from Sunderland in the North East and there is just no comparison in the weather.
We live in Wellington, if average summer temp of 24c -25c and blue skies with no rain isn't good weather, I don't know what is. Coming from NE England we are spoilt here. This spring apparently had some of the worst winds in decades - we had worse in the UK. The sun is stronger and the temperature seems hotter due to no ozone layer.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Agree Boops. Been sodding lovely,we have a bit of rain and the weather's shit again. Bloody English. Never happy.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

I'm sure that's where we got our 'whinging pom's' from

It does sound lovely though, what are the winters like there?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:40 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Well ....

this might be controversial

But we don't think Wellington weather is bad at all.

Yes, we have wind, sometimes strong enough to stop you in your tracks walking down the street.

We have rain, (sometimes horizontally ).

We have glorious sunshine.

We have sleet (very occasionally)

We had frost a couple of times last winter.

But it's true what they say, generally if you don't like the weather, wait two hours. Four seasons in one day and all that!

Wellington has a huge variety of different weather conditions, often in the same day.

As stated above, since the start of Feb we've had maybe four rainy days and half of them have turned to sun by the afternoon

We love it. The weather has character.

And I agree with Mr Billy Connolly - weather's just weather, why label part of it as being bad and get grumpy about it?

Enjoy yourself despite the weather!

As for winter - it was miserable last winter for about two months - cold winds, rain, land slips, floods, but not often less than 6 degrees.
The reason people hate the cold is the lack of insulation in the houses so it's just as cold inside (as mentioned many times before here)
We'll be okay though, lots of insulation in or house now.

Heads off to be smug in cosy lounge...
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:41 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

can`t argue with that post ,feel the same way here also .Looking forward to that new pellet fire this winter . with lots of heat and buggar the wood storage ,just hope no leccy cuts ,
PS
I love Welly weather so unpredictable and better to work in than a muggy stuffy steamy atmosphere like Auckland.(SH*****E)

I must be at home now complaining of the Weather and Aussies as well ,at work that is .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.