Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington and Wages

Wellington and Wages

Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:57 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington and Wages

It may be worth looking whether you can earn more in other regions however. There's no point writing off a place you like only to find out it's a very generous salary. Just thought it was worth looking at what it compares to in other places

I don't think it's particularly impossible on that salary- lots of people do it comfortably enough. But that does mean not having the newest car or lots of overseas trips. Like I said though, that also comes down to extra expenses - transport, travel etc.

Oh, regarding travel from outside the area - be aware that unless you like spending hours on public transport you do have to cross the city to get to the hospital from further out. It's probably about an hour to drive in peak times - even more up to 90 minutes in traffic - to the hospital (30 - 45mins to the city at least, then another 25 mins cutting across town) So, if it's off peak you can drive in around 45 mins easy enough. If you are heading in peak times (eg working a 9 -5ish job) then you need to be nearer. 2-3 hours travel each day doesn't sound like fun. Although, I much prefer Plimmerton to Newtown!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wellington and Wages

I agree. Do some research into the wage you can expect for your job elsewhere. You may get more in Auckland, but then rents and mortgages may be a bit higher unless you travel, as many do. We used to travel daily from Henderson where it was cheaper.

You will also get a family tax credit for your child, which will help a bit.

Is your wife skilled in office work, or some other profession? Because if she isn't then the $25,000 part time wage may be a bit optimistic. I work as an elderly care worker and for 20 -25 hours a week I get around $18,000 pa. For shop/cafe work it may be lower, although maybe not in Wellington. It's been a while since I worked there.

It's all relative. We live in Timaru. We have 4 kids and survive on just under $70,000, according to the last Working for Families estimate, but it is tight at times, this is a small town and we don't live it up. However, we are not in the gutter either. Our kids are adequately clothed, well fed and happy, and they each do at least one out of school activity, but holidays only happen if we save the money from my freelance writing and my OH's occasional extra jobs of wedding photography and limousine driving.

I'm not trying to be negative - just showing you the ways people make ends meet.