Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Wellington Thread

The Wellington Thread

Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:05 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wellington Thread

Gloria Jeans is American, founded in Chicago. Except that the owners of the international franchise, with the exception of the USA and Puerto Rico, are Australian and set up Jireh International Pty Ltd.

http://www.gloriajeanscoffees.com.au...tent.asp?pid=9

No, i didn't know any of that - just that I went on a googlesearch. I also love that companies often have a history page where they explain, in detail, their background.

So, it is kind of Australian. The original company is American, but they own the international licence or something of all but the USA and PR.

Oh and wiki says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Jean's

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Sep 1st 2008 at 10:07 pm. Reason: found a wiki page too
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

yey! have managed to persuade OH that we should look at Welly rather than Akl. yippee...

a few questions....

what areas should we be looking at for up to 45 min commute time to CBD?

and which of those areas would anyone recommend?!?!

anyone have any contacts in new media in Welly? OH our principle app is web based news editor, currently working for ITV... looking for similar in NZ...

anyone any contacts in social housing/community development/youth work - that's me!

cheers!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by crap coffee
(Purely) From my point of view, I am not able to find decent flavoured coffee beans that I like here in Welly. Generally speaking, the quality of coffee beans are excellent in NZ however. ......... can't find the one that I like ............
Have you had Peoples Coffee (Constable St in Newtown)? You can also get their beans at Garrett St Espresso in Cuba Mall, or at Moore Wilsons. Roasted freshly each day. Fantastic!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drrobert
Have you had Peoples Coffee (Constable St in Newtown)? You can also get their beans at Garrett St Espresso in Cuba Mall, or at Moore Wilsons. Roasted freshly each day. Fantastic!

nah.... didn't even know that........people's coffee?

maybe I'd visit Garrett St Espresso in Cuba Mall some time. (I don't know where actually........where in Cuba mall?

btw..... I haven't been drinking coffee since last week ...taste yuck...because of medicines...........unusual taste in my mouth........everything tastes bitter bitter and bitter......as if I am having a drug in my mouth..(can't even sleep at night)
not sure....... when I will be able to drink coffee again.

Thanks.

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 3rd 2008 at 11:47 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

nah.... didn't even know that........people's coffee?

maybe I'd visit Garrett St Espresso in Cuba Mall some time. (I don't know where actually........where in Cuba mall?

Thanks.
13 Garrett Street. Their website is here: http://www.peoplescoffee.co.nz/

You can find their beans, along with the rest of Wellington's best gourmet stuff (e.g. Arobake breads and Island Bay Butchers sausages) at Moore Wilsons Fresh.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
So Mojo gets the thumbs up !!!!!
Definitely Mojo, Cafe L'affare, fuel, whichever one they do at Maranui and my (secret) local coffee shop.....and the one at the Bolton Hotel is good too! They do a good one in the cafe at the Wellington Regional Aquatic Centre...there are many more.....it is really hard to get a bad cup of coffee here (except at the hairdressers where they give you filter stuff yuck) and you can also get decent tea here as well. I found this was the case all over North Island pretty much so it's not even just a Wellington thing.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Today Welly is raining so much! So What?!

I can see from my office window. getting wet when I am out for lunch

Stupid........ ....Why hell on earth (this morning) do I miss Blue Bird's Orange and Lemon Slices (The traditional, old-fashioned sweet)? I was a child of the 80's and I've got a tin (20 years old ) on my desk (Blue Bird's Bonbons Acidules Arome Citron et Orange - not sure anybody remember of this?). It's old but loved it. kind of a little momory of my childhood and for some reason, I always carried the orange tin with me no matter where ever we moved to. Actually....... assuming mum bought a few tins in Japan or Korea (?) (not in England)...........in 80's...... and ....... so I still have one of them. Now we don't seem to be able get any of these tin stuff. Just sweets :curse: no tins........and only in England......not in NZ........or even Cool Britannia

thought how silly I am. the fact that thinking of this old ish stupid stuff (instead of morning coffee) like a kid while working... maybe it's raining..........so much! :curse: (......I love rain, fog and mist though.............) aahh........... again.....always on a rainy day it reminds me of England & the song Rhythm Of The Rain.........Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain Telling me just what a fool I've been ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T574F...eature=related
Attached Thumbnails The Wellington Thread-orangeandlemonslicesstockleys.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 4th 2008 at 1:11 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoof
yey! have managed to persuade OH that we should look at Welly rather than Akl. yippee...

a few questions....

what areas should we be looking at for up to 45 min commute time to CBD?

and which of those areas would anyone recommend?!?!

anyone have any contacts in new media in Welly? OH our principle app is web based news editor, currently working for ITV... looking for similar in NZ...

anyone any contacts in social housing/community development/youth work - that's me!

cheers!
The world's your oyster in you want anywhere with 45 mins of CBD... can you narros it down a bit more by what your really looking for... beach/sport/city life???
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
The world's your oyster in you want anywhere with 45 mins of CBD... can you narros it down a bit more by what your really looking for... beach/sport/city life???
i've begun to realise that - spent last night with google earth and the AA road atlas! that's great news! having said that, the smallest amount of time spent commuting the better, i guess.... so

in an ideal world we'd be :
somewhere fairly quiet,
enough garden to grow a few veggies,
and the closer to the sea the better,
not that fussed about immediate facilities (spent too long living in rural cumbria to be fussed about having shops on the doorstep!)
would prefer to use public transport rather than drive into welly
we have a little one who will be two in november and it would be good to have good childcare/schools etc close by...

am thinking whitby/kapiti coast etc may fit the bill? any thoughts? any other suggestions?

thanks!!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

i've begun to realise that - spent last night with google earth and the AA road atlas! that's great news! having said that, the smallest amount of time spent commuting the better, i guess.... so

in an ideal world we'd be :
somewhere fairly quiet,
enough garden to grow a few veggies,
and the closer to the sea the better,
not that fussed about immediate facilities (spent too long living in rural cumbria to be fussed about having shops on the doorstep!)
would prefer to use public transport rather than drive into welly
we have a little one who will be two in november and it would be good to have good childcare/schools etc close by...

am thinking whitby/kapiti coast etc may fit the bill? any thoughts? any other suggestions?

thanks!!
You don't want to live in Whitby!!! That's where I live!!!!

No seriously, Whitby is a lovely place to live, well serviced in our eyes by local ammenities within good communiting distance to the City. All the local schools especially the one our son goes to are great!! If you want anymore specific info on Whitby and surrounding areas please feel free to PM me...

Simon
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Today Welly is raining so much! So What?!

I can see from my office window. getting wet when I am out for lunch

Stupid........ ....Why hell on earth (this morning) do I miss Blue Bird's Orange and Lemon Slices (The traditional, old-fashioned sweet)? I was a child of the 80's and I've got a tin (20 years old ) on my desk (Blue Bird's Bonbons Acidules Arome Citron et Orange - not sure anybody remember of this?). It's old but loved it. kind of a little momory of my childhood and for some reason, I always carried the orange tin with me no matter where ever we moved to. Actually....... assuming mum bought a few tins in Japan or Korea (?) (not in England)...........in 80's...... and ....... so I still have one of them. Now we don't seem to be able get any of these tin stuff. Just sweets :curse: no tins........and only in England......not in NZ........or even Cool Britannia

thought how silly I am. the fact that thinking of this old ish stupid stuff (instead of morning coffee) like a kid while working... maybe it's raining..........so much! :curse: (......I love rain, fog and mist though.............) aahh........... again.....always on a rainy day it reminds me of England & the song Rhythm Of The Rain.........Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain Telling me just what a fool I've been ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T574F...eature=related
Crapcoffee
I hate all boiled sweets myself but love fruit jellies -not sure which yours are in the picture. Just wondering have you found the sweet shop in the BNZ arcade yet..they have a lot of stuff imported from UK including jelly-type sweets.
Weather is awful for spring..I agree...it really did feel cold out at 8 degrees today...I wished I'd taken my winter coat instead of my waterproof. Maybe it'll improve by the weekend.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Crapcoffee
I hate all boiled sweets myself but love fruit jellies -not sure which yours are in the picture. Just wondering have you found the sweet shop in the BNZ arcade yet..they have a lot of stuff imported from UK including jelly-type sweets.
Weather is awful for spring..I agree...it really did feel cold out at 8 degrees today...I wished I'd taken my winter coat instead of my waterproof. Maybe it'll improve by the weekend.
Thanks for the info. ......... usually....... I pass the sweet shop in the BNZ on my way to lunch with my Pommy friend . Occasionally I pop in and read an interesting article in U.K newspaper. or buying NZ Listener magazine. think I've never take a look around carefully what sort of sweets are there. (Not a big fan of Sweets) I only seem to remember the stack of KIWI SWEETS - RJ CHOC RASPBERRY LICORICE ? which .......I no longer want to have.......... after a big Disaster with loads of cute mice that loves it too much :curse: ! Now thinking of licorice - only makes me disgusting...........

I'd like to show you a picture of the Orange tin....(could be a silly thing ) Maybe some people remember that ...........nostalgia.........

Boiled sweets ain't so nice indeed. (Kids love rubbish ) he hehe today I don't miss that orange sweets a jot ............

.............agreee........it's been so cold.........what is worse......... the flat is colder than outside. It's kind of a shock - when you get home it's totally freezing! whereas the office was warm enough.

Why don't you check up the temperature/wind before you get out? It's wise in a way. I always do as a habit (Paul thinks that I am strange enough to do this all the time) and know how many layers of clothes I need. It's secure at least, you can prepare your waterproof. Hope you feel cozy & warm now at your lovely home with your family. surely better than my cr*p place I guess! btw I had to catch a taxi home last night after all, because I stayed up very, very late at work and it was dark, windy, rainy, freezing. and hungry ... :curse:....what else could I do otherwise......................................... .

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 5th 2008 at 4:45 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
You don't want to live in Whitby!!! That's where I live!!!!

No seriously, Whitby is a lovely place to live, well serviced in our eyes by local ammenities within good communiting distance to the City. All the local schools especially the one our son goes to are great!! If you want anymore specific info on Whitby and surrounding areas please feel free to PM me...

Simon
brill cheers Simon! will def PM a little nearer the time... meanwhile - have you any pics of Whitby you could post here??

ta

Jen
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:56 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

brill cheers Simon! will def PM a little nearer the time... meanwhile - have you any pics of Whitby you could post here??

ta

Jen
Don't show her the bad spots Simon !!!!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ta

Jen
I haven't as yet as the weather has been pretty shitty for months, but it's starting to pick up, so i'll try and get out a it and take a few snaps....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.