British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The Wellington Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wellington-thread-550930/)

pumpkinlou Jul 28th 2008 6:29 pm

Re: The Wellington Thread

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 6618098)
Is that 11 weeks and 6 days UK time or should it be 11 weeks and 5 days NZ time - when posted?

UK Time I think Simon!!

- it doesn't take much to confuse me :)

Yes, Crap Coffee, we are still here in little old Blighty at the mo. We fly from Manchester on 19th October. I am really excited, dead nervous, sad and happy all at the same time!! Well, life is a rollercoaster as ronan once said.............................................. .....

Lou
xx

ptbrophy Jul 28th 2008 8:35 pm

Keep all these good posts coming! Making me want to get out there as soon as possible!

All being well, should be out late November!

RobClubley Jul 28th 2008 8:47 pm

Random post from our blog two years ago!!

http://clubley.blogspot.com/2006/07/...-in-welly.html

It's a rather lovely day outside - about 12 degrees, blue skies and bright sunshine.
After meeting Melanie for a coffee at lunchtime I still had half an hour of lunchtime left, so I wandered down to the harbour front, past the events centre and the parked-up helicopters and the cargo cranes and along the front near Frank Kitts Park. The harbour was calm and flat and its usual shade of bluey green. I watched the ferry sail off towards the South Island against a backdrop of Eastbourne and the mountains behind. The harbour water is so clear - at the edge you can see the bottom and all of the seaweed and mussels and fishies living there.
It's nice to be in the middle of a capital city with all of the big buildings and cafes and busy people, and be able to walk three blocks over and be out in the open on the harbour front looking at mountains and water and nutters jogging at lunchtime.
Just thought I'd share that :)

Kimi-Deacon Jul 29th 2008 7:27 am

Its great to read all the positive things about wellington, only thing i dont fancy is flying in to wellington on a windy day. I HATE FLYING i normally have to fill myself full of calming pills. So as we are finally arriving in Wellington on the 5th Sept can you guys out there arrange for a calm sunny day on the 5th.:)

Simon, Mike got sorted on the job front, thanks to Lee, so once we get sorted out there, we will have to arrange to meet you guys, would love to hear Lee on the Karaoke:rofl:

Steph.

simonmarkellis Jul 29th 2008 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon (Post 6622136)
Its great to read all the positive things about wellington, only thing i dont fancy is flying in to wellington on a windy day. I HATE FLYING i normally have to fill myself full of calming pills. So as we are finally arriving in Wellington on the 5th Sept can you guys out there arrange for a calm sunny day on the 5th.:)

Simon, Mike got sorted on the job front, thanks to Lee, so once we get sorted out there, we will have to arrange to meet you guys, would love to hear Lee on the Karaoke:rofl:

Steph.

Hi Steph

Has he taken Lee's job? On the WESTPAC Account? 5th hey? That's Welly Wife's (my better half) 40th! There's a party on the sixth which we're just sorting out, so I'll PM you my mobile number, then you can ring me when you get here and come along and meet everyone in one big swoop!!!! Hel of an introduction hey.... Have you sorted temp accomodaton when you arrive?

Simon

Kimi-Deacon Jul 29th 2008 8:16 am

Simon, yeah hes on the Westpac account, is that good or bad:)

Got your PM thanks, would love to come, we have friends from the UK staying with us for the first few days, would it be ok to bring them, as they will be moving to Welly next year.

Still looking at temporary accommodation, its not easy as we have a cat arriving mid Sept
have found one or two, furniture not arriving til first week Oct.

Steph.

simonmarkellis Jul 29th 2008 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon (Post 6622251)
Simon, yeah hes on the Westpac account, is that good or bad:)

Got your PM thanks, would love to come, we have friends from the UK staying with us for the first few days, would it be ok to bring them, as they will be moving to Welly next year.

Still looking at temporary accommodation, its not easy as we have a cat arriving mid Sept
have found one or two, furniture not arriving til first week Oct.

Steph.

No problem..., WESTPAC account's fine, but I no expert... busy i believe...

ScottyD Jul 29th 2008 10:53 am

We're arriving in Welly on 20th September!!!!

It's great to read so many positive things about the city we just can't wait to experience it all for ourselves!

Thank you to everyone who posts on here, it's great reading to keep you going and looking forward to your new life when you're buried in the UK in all the necessary arrangements to leave.

BRING IT ON - WELLINGTON!:thumbup:

gina and danny Jul 29th 2008 5:05 pm

we arrive in welly on the 14th august....cant wait, bit stressful at the mo with all the last minute things to do, so keep the good points comming as they do cheer me up:thumbsup::thumbsup:

gina

Kiwiprincess Jul 29th 2008 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon (Post 6622136)

I think there is something wrong with me but I put it down to being born in wellington. I hate flying. I realise i have to do it, and I would rather get on a plane for 1 hour than in a car for 8. But basically, I don't like it. I don't like air pockets, i don't like turbulence, i don't like seeing the wind flaps move and think they are breaking off (but always request a window seat). I don't like taking off. I simply am not a fan of flying.

But I love landing at Wellington Airport. The funny thing is all the landings i have had have actually been really good. There was one instance recently (late January) where high winds caused the plane to do some serious rollercoaster moves to the point that the flight attendants were yelping in surprise (i had the back row so got to listen to them).

When we landed the passengers and the flight attendants clapped.

But ya get used to it. Most flights aren't that adventurous.

Spawny67 Jul 29th 2008 10:53 pm

Hiya, This thread is brillllliant. Can't wait to get out there. About twelve weeks and counting. Whoooohooo.
Dawn

RobClubley Jul 29th 2008 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 6625707)
I think there is something wrong with me but I put it down to being born in wellington. I hate flying. I realise i have to do it, and I would rather get on a plane for 1 hour than in a car for 8. But basically, I don't like it. I don't like air pockets, i don't like turbulence, i don't like seeing the wind flaps move and think they are breaking off (but always request a window seat). I don't like taking off. I simply am not a fan of flying.

But I love landing at Wellington Airport. The funny thing is all the landings i have had have actually been really good. There was one instance recently (late January) where high winds caused the plane to do some serious rollercoaster moves to the point that the flight attendants were yelping in surprise (i had the back row so got to listen to them).

When we landed the passengers and the flight attendants clapped.

But ya get used to it. Most flights aren't that adventurous.

I've had a few bumpy approaches to Wellington but the landings themselves have always been really smooth.

I was told that only kiwi pilots are mad enough to land here!
The runway has a slope halfway along and a slight bend in the middle!
"She'll be right!"

pumpkinlou Jul 30th 2008 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Spawny67 (Post 6625736)
Hiya, This thread is brillllliant. Can't wait to get out there. About twelve weeks and counting. Whoooohooo.
Dawn

Hiya Dawn,

Should be there about the same time as you!!! Which part are you going to?

Lou
xx

macslass Jul 30th 2008 9:30 am

OK send me some positive thoughts on Welly as I'm pregnant, bored and confused.

Been to NZ three times and loved it - several Kiwis friends out there following their UK OEs. Having a second baby in 3 weeks and my hubby and I have a big life decision to make as life here is unsustainable.

We're from the North East but are living in Edinburgh which we love and until recently it's served us well with coffee shops/culture/pubs etc but we own a second floor flat which is no longer practical with a toddler (not to mention No.2) and all the buggy/plastic tat that comes with him. We would have maybe stayed but we can't bear to live along way out of town which is realistically all we could afford after the impending £1300 a month costs a month we'll be looking at when I go back to work.

So here's the dilema - hubby has been offered a transfer with work to Newcastle which is closer to family and he has to be there in January so we're leaving Edinburgh whatever. However there's a role for him in the Wellington office. They'd do all the paperwork, pay for flights, etc on the condition we stay 2 years at least which to me isn't that long.

I'm sick of the corporate rat race at home, the continual rain and grey, the spiralling costs, etc (the usual) and want a better life for my babies where they can go outside once in a while without getting wet or blown away (ok so maybe Welly isn't the best choice of city in NZ for that!).

What do you think - should we just rent our flat, close our eyes, get on the plane and hope for the best??????

Advice please from anyone who has done just that.

Joxx

simonmarkellis Jul 30th 2008 10:14 am

Originally Posted by macslass (Post 6627141)
OK send me some positive thoughts on Welly as I'm pregnant, bored and confused.

Been to NZ three times and loved it - several Kiwis friends out there following their UK OEs. Having a second baby in 3 weeks and my hubby and I have a big life decision to make as life here is unsustainable.

We're from the North East but are living in Edinburgh which we love and until recently it's served us well with coffee shops/culture/pubs etc but we own a second floor flat which is no longer practical with a toddler (not to mention No.2) and all the buggy/plastic tat that comes with him. We would have maybe stayed but we can't bear to live along way out of town which is realistically all we could afford after the impending £1300 a month costs a month we'll be looking at when I go back to work.

So here's the dilema - hubby has been offered a transfer with work to Newcastle which is closer to family and he has to be there in January so we're leaving Edinburgh whatever. However there's a role for him in the Wellington office. They'd do all the paperwork, pay for flights, etc on the condition we stay 2 years at least which to me isn't that long.

I'm sick of the corporate rat race at home, the continual rain and grey, the spiralling costs, etc (the usual) and want a better life for my babies where they can go outside once in a while without getting wet or blown away (ok so maybe Welly isn't the best choice of city in NZ for that!).

What do you think - should we just rent our flat, close our eyes, get on the plane and hope for the best??????

Advice please from anyone who has done just that.

Joxx

Hi Jo,

There's loads of us that have done just that... 2 years is nothing as I'm rapidly approaching the end of the 1st year.. the time has flown by. There's loads to do out here, if nothing else it worth the punt just so you'll know whether it was right for you or not...

Simon