British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The Wellington Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wellington-thread-550930/)

simonmarkellis Feb 17th 2011 7:55 pm

Re: The Wellington Thread

New Train and Bus Timetables from Monday... trains will be running from Waikanae from the 21st Feb... I've now got to get up earlier to get into the office at the same time...:sneaky:

MOSO Feb 17th 2011 8:26 pm

Sorry Simon, we're in Waikanae and my OH is looking forward to Monday when we join civilisation and go from one train a day:ohmy: to one every half an hour :thumbsup::thumbsup: Downside is he may be tempted to stay at work for longer rather than having to catch the one train home agin:thumbdown:

simonmarkellis Feb 17th 2011 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 9183757)
Sorry Simon, we're in Waikanae and my OH is looking forward to Monday when we join civilisation and go from one train a day:ohmy: to one every half an hour :thumbsup::thumbsup: Downside is he may be tempted to stay at work for longer rather than having to catch the one train home agin:thumbdown:

Some you Win:thumbsup: some you lose:thumbdown:, might start getting the later train and have the extra 15 mins in bed!!!

simonmarkellis Feb 18th 2011 5:07 am

apparently there was an earthquake about an hour ago.... Didn't feel it in the pub!!!!!

simonmarkellis Feb 21st 2011 5:04 am

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 9183757)

Wasn't a great first day of a new service for me! Trains were packed and not enough carriages, so i got in late... coming home, we left late and broke down just outside Paramata... BUGGER!!!

JohnThePom Feb 21st 2011 5:39 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 9190539)
Wasn't a great first day of a new service for me! Trains were packed and not enough carriages, so i got in late... coming home, we left late and broke down just outside Paramata... BUGGER!!!

I was lucky enough to get seats both ways, but got sent to the wrong platform in welly, boarded the wrong train. Was told to get off and then had to catch a different train from a different platform all under instructions from the station tannoy. All part of the charm of rail travel.

MOSO Feb 21st 2011 5:57 am

Oh yes, Kiwirail seem as inefficient as Thameslink at times: OH went to the grand opening of Waikanae station on Saturday, was able to view a train not in service yet:frown:, purely to buy a season ticket for Monday - but they weren't able to sell him one until the service started on Sun:confused:

Anyway, he got a ticket yesterday, caught the 6.30am train this morning from Waikanae and the 6pm train home again. Kids went across town on their bikes to meet him. So, all in all a successful first day:thumbsup: Let's hope the first day hitches you experienced are soon ironed out. Some airconditioning would have been useful too!

Mrbiker Feb 25th 2011 8:14 am

Hi Guys.....

off topic a little as I don't think I'll be needing a train to work...

Just dropping by to say Hi to all you wellington folk as I'm on my way to join the windy city soon and thought I'd intro myself here... :D

Have a nice day and hope to catch some of you in said pub that keeps being talked about soon... :thumbsup:

Mrbiker Feb 25th 2011 8:18 am

Originally Posted by SuffolkbritinNZ (Post 9174595)
Thanks so much for your tips and weblinks - really helpful.
I know it's a rubbish reason to neglect such an awesome little city...but that WIND really puts me off!!! If only it had warmer, calmer weather I'd be there in a heartbeat!!! Mind you I guess if that was the case, so would about another 500,000 people!!

I think the wind is only a small part of Wellington.... If there was a perfect place on earth, we'd all be living there..... try to think of the positives from a place, not the negatives...
Its the negatives that prob made you think about leaving the UK.....

Life is a trade off.. there is always a compromise, its just finding which ones you can cope with....
Wellignton is still a shed load warmer than the UK lol....

crap coffee Feb 25th 2011 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Mrbiker (Post 9200606)
I think the wind is only a small part of Wellington.... If there was a perfect place on earth, we'd all be living there..... try to think of the positives from a place, not the negatives...
Its the negatives that prob made you think about leaving the UK.....

Life is a trade off.. there is always a compromise, its just finding which ones you can cope with....
Wellignton is still a shed load warmer than the UK lol....

Thats right... As I get older I realize that more and more...

agree with all you said.

even marriage/having a partner is a trade off isn't it.. (personally don't want such a thing :rofl:)

choice we made - anything - a trade off.

really... ? ... I think Welly weather is about same as London... because we feel cold most of time anyway because of the wind.. and the winter is,,, lol... its horrible. we just don't have snow here.. doesn't mean feel warmer than the uk,.... last year I wore a coat at home. :lol:

What I like about Welly is... can live without a car. and we can buy nice & cheap coffee here... if you go to a roaster.. I pay $3.80 for 100 g ground coffee and it lasts for a week.

and I like a small place like Welly as its convenient... you can walk anywhere or catch a bus..

Debbie2NZ Feb 25th 2011 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 9200766)
Thats right... As I get older I realize that more and more...

agree with all you said.

even marriage/having a partner is a trade off isn't it.. (personally don't want such a thing :rofl:)

choice we made - anything - a trade off.

really... ? ... I think Welly weather is about same as London... because we feel cold most of time anyway because of the wind.. and the winter is,,, lol... its horrible. we just don't have snow here.. doesn't mean feel warmer than the uk,.... last year I wore a coat at home. :lol:

What I like about Welly is... can live without a car. and we can buy nice & cheap coffee here... if you go to a roaster.. I pay $3.80 for 100 g ground coffee and it lasts for a week.

and I like a small place like Welly as its convenient... you can walk anywhere or catch a bus..

What more could a person want ?
:)

simonmarkellis Feb 26th 2011 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Mrbiker (Post 9200600)
Have a nice day and hope to catch some of you in said pub that keeps being talked about soon... :thumbsup:

Sounds like a good idea...

Mrbiker Feb 26th 2011 9:16 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 9202791)
Sounds like a good idea...

I have been known to have one or two of these a year... best make the most of this one haha.....
Is there a usual hang out, and whats social life like out there.. ?

simonmarkellis Feb 26th 2011 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mrbiker (Post 9202976)
I have been known to have one or two of these a year... best make the most of this one haha.....
Is there a usual hang out, and whats social life like out there.. ?

There's loads of good pubs at both ends of the City near Courtney Place and towards the station, outside of the city where i am everythings a little more centralised with the Sandbar in Mana along with Monteiths, but at least with the Sandbar they run a courtesy bus to get you home...

Mrbiker Feb 27th 2011 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 9203795)
There's loads of good pubs at both ends of the City near Courtney Place and towards the station, outside of the city where i am everythings a little more centralised with the Sandbar in Mana along with Monteiths, but at least with the Sandbar they run a courtesy bus to get you home...

Oh a bus to take us home... smart... am looking forward to meeting up to sample the beer.. I mean bus.... haha....