Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Wellington Thread

The Wellington Thread

Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:33 am
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: The Wellington Thread

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
On a day like today, with the sun beating down, you'd think the wind never blows... For me the quality of wellington life outshines the wind when she blows... The cafes, bars and people are great...
Simon,
Whitby: if I went to Whitby North Yorkshire today, unlike Wellington's Whitby, it's wet, six degrees and nasty. Unlike the rest of you in Wellington I only spent four months in 2009 there. I think Wellington is a lovely capital city, compact, lovely harbour and surrounding beaches, Oriental Parade, Whitby, Eastbourne, Seatoun, Island bay and more. The cafe culture, quirky Cuba Street, and more. Yes, it get's windy but it suited me. I found that Napier, Hastings and Gisborne were among the warmest places in NZ. I stayed with my son in Wellington after losing my husband suddenly, we did visit NZ in 2005 and had he still been here I think we might have gone to live somewhere like Raumati.
Wellington is a great city to live in.
Pat.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wellington Thread

Originally Posted by SuffolkbritinNZ
Well Kimi-Deacon, thats a real help as I used to live close to Ipswich too so you obviously are very familiar with what lifestyle / weather etc we've come from!!
I guess I'm also wondering if there's always plenty going on in Wellington. I know its the capital but it's a tiny city really isn't it....are there always heaps of events going on? It seems in Christchurch there is always something to do.

I'm actually seriously considering Auckland too and wonder if the warmer weather, proximity to great beaches and heaps always going on - maybe it would be a better suit?

Ahhhh decisions decisions!!!!
There is always something going on in Wellington, this weekend was Chinese New Year and today the Wellington Phoenix football team had a game at the stadium, there are food and craft markets on most weekends, there are plenty of music gigs on too, there is a big circus tent set up down by Te Papa this week, and especially during the summer there is always something happening here, last weekend I was at thr Rugby 7's on Saturday, in the Wairarapa on Sunday at the races, and went to see Lloyd Cole in concert on Monday night, all in all a fabulous weekend!

Super 15's Rugby starts next weekend too!

And because it is a small and compact city, it is easier to get to most of the events or tickets for gigs and the likes.

I would say that more goes on here than C'hristchurch

Have a look at this, it may help your decision making: http://www.wellingtonnz.com/know_wellington

Last edited by irnbru14; Feb 13th 2011 at 10:40 am.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
On a day like today, with the sun beating down, you'd think the wind never blows... For me the quality of wellington life outshines the wind when she blows... The cafes, bars and people are great...
Especially when the Nix are winning
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh and watch the Spoil Yourself in Wellington promo ad, it's so, well, Welly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIv851MuqJY
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

SuffolkbritinNZ will become famous soon enough

Thanks so much for your tips and weblinks - really helpful.
I know it's a rubbish reason to neglect such an awesome little city...but that WIND really puts me off!!! If only it had warmer, calmer weather I'd be there in a heartbeat!!! Mind you I guess if that was the case, so would about another 500,000 people!!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Wind doesn't seem to bother Chicago's population
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:54 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Wind doesn't seem to bother Chicago's population
I could be wrong but I thought Chicago's windy city name referred to how much the locals like to talk?

Wellington's not always windy. In fact often it's not windy at all.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Think you've just been here too long now Rob
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:54 am
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: The Wellington Thread

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I could be wrong but I thought Chicago's windy city name referred to how much the locals like to talk?

Good on ya Rob! It was very windy last week in Yorkshire, you're better off in Tawa. I agree that Wellington can be windy but so can Harrogate!
Best wishes.
Pat.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Oh and watch the Spoil Yourself in Wellington promo ad, it's so, well, Welly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIv851MuqJY
Right, I think I'm sold!

Two more questions now I'm on here then....

First, where are some nice places to live in Wellington?? I'd love Oriental Bay but know I definitely can't afford that so any advice on other nice spots that are safe, not too expensive, but attractive surroundings?

Second question - are there any good running clubs in Wellington? I'd be keen to join...

Thanks!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Right, I think I'm sold!

Two more questions now I'm on here then....

First, where are some nice places to live in Wellington?? I'd love Oriental Bay but know I definitely can't afford that so any advice on other nice spots that are safe, not too expensive, but attractive surroundings?

Second question - are there any good running clubs in Wellington? I'd be keen to join...

Thanks!
It depends what type of lifestyle you want, whethere you want an apartment or a house, whethere you want easy access to town or stay in the burbs, or wanna be on the coast or in the middle of all thats happening really
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

It depends what type of lifestyle you want, whethere you want an apartment or a house, whethere you want easy access to town or stay in the burbs, or wanna be on the coast or in the middle of all thats happening really
Well, I'm pretty flexible really. I don't want to have to travel more than 30 minutes to get to work (maximum) so I guess quite close to the city....but not right in the very centre. I'm not looking for an apartment in Courtenay Place put it that way!!

Ideally a small house with a garden but would settle for a townhouse / apartment too. Easy living really for now.

Thanks
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm pretty flexible really. I don't want to have to travel more than 30 minutes to get to work (maximum) so I guess quite close to the city....but not right in the very centre. I'm not looking for an apartment in Courtenay Place put it that way!!

Ideally a small house with a garden but would settle for a townhouse / apartment too. Easy living really for now.

Thanks
Half hour commuting aint gonna get you very far out, so you will be living in central suburbia. I can see you ending up on the south coast, but it does get windy and wild out that way. To get better weather you need to head north at least as far as say Whitby.
There are plenty of running clubs - look up coolrunning website - but the scene isnt as intensive as the UK.
If you are really into beaches then you would be happier up the coast towards Paraparam Im sure but thats outside 30 mins commuting, even with the new train timetable starting next week.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Think you've just been here too long now Rob
So have I, because I agree with him. Stay away folks - too many of you come here and put the rental prices up and make the traffic worse.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks
Think you should be considering looking at, again depending on where you work, how you plan to get to work and budget, nearest to town you should perhaps go for:

Mount Victoria
Mount Cook
Thorndon
Kelburn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.