Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Wellington Thread

The Wellington Thread

Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wellington Thread

Yeah, it's more the driving from Porirua...how long does that take to CBD in rush hour and non rush hour? I have a friend who lives in Whitby, great place to live but she said local services aren't great i.e local restaurants/cafe. We don't want a huge selection but a small choice would be great. Also, is it fair to say that Porirua is quite surburban. I realise that most of NZ is surburban apart from right in city centres but wouldn't mind a bit of close cafe culture if that is possible.

What is Petone like....is it really dreadful?

Thanks for the info re schools, will read when I get home from work.

Danielle
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Yeah, it's more the driving from Porirua...how long does that take to CBD in rush hour and non rush hour? I have a friend who lives in Whitby, great place to live but she said local services aren't great i.e local restaurants/cafe. We don't want a huge selection but a small choice would be great. Also, is it fair to say that Porirua is quite surburban. I realise that most of NZ is surburban apart from right in city centres but wouldn't mind a bit of close cafe culture if that is possible.

What is Petone like....is it really dreadful?

Thanks for the info re schools, will read when I get home from work.

Danielle
I also live in Whitby and yes it is a great place to live and although immdiate local services are not the best, they are more than adequette with Porirua itself not far away nor Mana, Plimmerton and Pauatahanui for expansion of a choice. For us it's about just under 30 mins outside rush hour to the CBD and around 40 mins during rush hour...
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:15 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I also live in Whitby and yes it is a great place to live and although immdiate local services are not the best, they are more than adequette with Porirua itself not far away nor Mana, Plimmerton and Pauatahanui for expansion of a choice. For us it's about just under 30 mins outside rush hour to the CBD and around 40 mins during rush hour...

Cafe culture in Porirua..... Yeah Right !!

Best look at the city suburbs.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ted & Simon, How are you 1.5 kiwis doing? I see you both still don't have a life, lol.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi Ted & Simon, How are you 1.5 kiwis doing? I see you both still don't have a life, lol.
Surviving Dee... Surviving...
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

nickychris67 has a brilliant futurenickychris67 has a brilliant futurenickychris67 has a brilliant futurenickychris67 has a brilliant futurenickychris67 has a brilliant futurenickychris67 has a brilliant futurenickychris67 has a brilliant futurenickychris67 has a brilliant future

Can anyone give me some advice please, I am just waiting to hear if i have been lucky enough to get a job in Upper Hutt, Welly . If it happens I am going to have to come out very quickly in the New Year, on my own while my other half ties up the loose ends at home. Can anyone advise me on a good place to stay or a good website for finding rental accommodation that is furnished (if there is such a thing) while I wait for husband and furniture to catch me up.

Many thanks
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nickychris67
Can anyone give me some advice please, I am just waiting to hear if i have been lucky enough to get a job in Upper Hutt, Welly . If it happens I am going to have to come out very quickly in the New Year, on my own while my other half ties up the loose ends at home. Can anyone advise me on a good place to stay or a good website for finding rental accommodation that is furnished (if there is such a thing) while I wait for husband and furniture to catch me up.

Many thanks
Hi there...

I used www.trademe.co.nz to sort out rental accommodation before i left te UK, though getting furnished will be rare. For holiday lets, you could try www.holidayhomes.co.nz or www.holidayhouses.co.nz. If you can only get unfurnished,you get rent a whole heap of stuff from DTR (www.dtr.co.nz) or Mr Rental (www.mrrental.co.nz)...

Regards

Simon
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

emma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really nice

hey guys an looking at moving to wellie from sunny liverpool! in aug this year but just reading all the posts is it as lovely s everyones talking about?

am trained nurse with two yrs exprience hoping to work as a district nurse over there and have an agncey looking for me, have a little boy of 4 and my partners a heating a ventilation engineer currently looking for employment over there

if anyone can give me any advice on accomondation prices, nursery schools and prices, and any recent pics of the town would be great!

all very exciting guys xx
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

RogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant future

I can recommend the Silverstream retreats for short term. Cost us £140 a night for family of 4 but was the best motel style place we stayed in. About 5 miles from Upper Hutt city centre.

I work just near Upper Hutt and have colleagues there - pm me and I'll see if I can help out.

Roger
Old Jan 17th 2010, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

emma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really niceemma jayne is just really nice

thanx thats very kind of you

the agency i am with is supposed to be supplying me with the accommondation for the first month on arrival which is great but just trying to gather more information on wellington as a whole,

anybody with news of local nurseys and pics of wellington would be great!

thanx again

emm
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Bumpity bumpity bump!!!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:40 am
Just Joined

cwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nice

I believe I promised to put some photos up back in March/April last year but never did! So since there's been a request for some here goes:
Click here!

I've tried to include a few of Welly on not so great days, but I don't seem to take photos then for some reason! Still, I've managed to take at least a thousand or more in the past year!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cwrtais
I believe I promised to put some photos up back in March/April last year but never did! So since there's been a request for some here goes:
Click here!

I've tried to include a few of Welly on not so great days, but I don't seem to take photos then for some reason! Still, I've managed to take at least a thousand or more in the past year!
I remember that harley convention from your pics... took me an extra 30mins to get to work!!! not because they were in the way, but because i kept looking at all the bikes...
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Wellington Thread

I haven't read all of this (sorry )
But I am very excited as have treated ourseleves to a weekend in welly in April.
Yay. My daughter has never stayed in a hotel so will be beside herself.

I love wellington but only ever visit really briefly for some reason...this time no different.

My daughter saw the ad for the Pompeii exhibition and wanted to go and I thought, why the hell not?

What other places do people recommend?
Has anyone been to Zealandia?

We have all Friday and most of Saturday there (we're being naughty and not catching up with friends...a secret jaunt)
Old Feb 13th 2010, 12:52 am
Just Joined

cwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I remember that harley convention from your pics... took me an extra 30mins to get to work!!! not because they were in the way, but because i kept looking at all the bikes...
I went by on a sat so had plenty of time to stop and look, I can't believe it's almost a year since then.

Pricklykina,

I've not been to Zealandia but I've heard good things about it and been told I should go. Buses go there from town or what you could do would be to take the cable car up to the botanical gardens, have a wonder around there and then go out the other side and catch bus no. 3 to Zealandia from there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.