Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Wellington Thread

The Wellington Thread

Old Feb 13th 2009, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wellington Thread

The weather was lovely yesterday with torrential rain, however today...... is............. cr@p. A truly miserable walk in nasty cold wind - a horrible day.
Attached Thumbnails The Wellington Thread-welly-2.jpg   The Wellington Thread-flight-rain.jpg   The Wellington Thread-welly-cafe-cuba-mall.jpg   The Wellington Thread-coffee-welly.jpg  
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:36 am
Just Joined

cwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nice

But it's been absolutely lovely today! I'm now here (a few flight delays later) so maybe I'll have to have a competition with Rob for the most interesting photos! Hurah to being in Wellington on a lovely summer's day, oh and a little jetlagged.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cwrtais
so maybe I'll have to have a competition with Rob for the most interesting photos! .
I look forward to

Cheers mate
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

hello!

OH has just booked flights for serious job searching next month...

he'll be in Welly for best part of a week towards the end of April

just wondering if any of you kind Wellington folk would maybe meet up for a coffee/ beer and talk to him about life in Welly?!?!

Also if anyone's looking to employ someone with web admin/content management incl multi-media formatting experience or TV - managing/producing outside broadcast or live gallery production with camera/editing experience too - could you let us know!?!

Any suggestions for employment agencies you know that might cover the above would be appreciated too!

thought about PM'ing a few of you, but it seemed a bit cheeky!

We've been to NZ a couple of times, but never made it to Welly... it looks the most likely of possible destinations though, and as well as hopefully securing a job, OH is hoping to get a really good feel for the place, and potential parts to live etc etc - any help/advice you can offer would be enormously appreciated!

cheers!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoof
hello!

OH has just booked flights for serious job searching next month...

he'll be in Welly for best part of a week towards the end of April

just wondering if any of you kind Wellington folk would maybe meet up for a coffee/ beer and talk to him about life in Welly?!?!

Also if anyone's looking to employ someone with web admin/content management incl multi-media formatting experience or TV - managing/producing outside broadcast or live gallery production with camera/editing experience too - could you let us know!?!

Any suggestions for employment agencies you know that might cover the above would be appreciated too!

thought about PM'ing a few of you, but it seemed a bit cheeky!

We've been to NZ a couple of times, but never made it to Welly... it looks the most likely of possible destinations though, and as well as hopefully securing a job, OH is hoping to get a really good feel for the place, and potential parts to live etc etc - any help/advice you can offer would be enormously appreciated!

cheers!
Can't help out with the job front i'm afraid, but more than happy to meet up with your OH when he's here just PM me...
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:28 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

I love welli As a capital it's almost as good as Cardiff.

Tell you what I love about Welli, when you come into land and you are looking out of the window directly down the runway and you think to yourself; "hang on that means we are pointing towards the hill" ! Or when you land in rain and you come to a stop at the very end of the runway and have to wait for a tug to come and get you !!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Can't help out with the job front i'm afraid, but more than happy to meet up with your OH when he's here just PM me...
Thanks Simon! will PM....
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Just hope he's not an Everton fan then Simon
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
True... he may even represent the other half of Edinburgh (HEARTS!!!)
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, as long as he supports the Phoenix thats good enough for me
Old Mar 13th 2009, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Gerry and the Pacemakers
(or should that be Gerry AND his pacemaker!)

Wellington April 5th
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by irnbru14
guess you'll be pretty happy today then Simon? 4-1!?! OH is a 'boro boy!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Hope I have added to the thread in the correct way. Cannot quite believe I am posting on a UK Expat website!

Anyways, I am a kiwi (from lovely Dunedin). My lovely husband (who is Welsh) and I currently live in London with our six month old daughter. Thinking more and more of moving back to NZ and Wellington is definitely top of our list. Would be Dunedin, however employment reasons mean Wellington is more realistic (don't want to move to Auckland). We have thought about moving to Cardiff where husband's family are, but to be honest we are a bit fed up of UK lifestyle.

Just wondering really if anyone had any feedback on how easy it would be for my husband to settle into kiwi life. Obviously I am a kiwi and can offer some experience but not sure that this will easily relate to expat experiences. There seems to be alot of discussions on other boards about lack of friendliness and difficulty making friends, have people experienced this?? I would be new to Wellington - have a couple of friends but I have been in UK since 2002 so not totally up to date with all things kiwi.

Wellington really does seem to have it all in terms of culture, sport, varied ethnicities etc. Just wondering if it has enough of a buzz for hubby - he is a very laid back Welshman but quite likes the London buzz! Also what is the Welsh pub called and where is it....if I tell him about this it may add to the pot of positive points!!!

Any feedback or advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:46 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

The pub you talk of is down near the sea front, Oriental parade I think.

It's ok but it's not a Welsh pub. The staff are kiwi's and DON'T speak Welsh, (well they didn't when I went there). There's enough Welsh stuff around to make you feel homesick, but not enough to make you think your in Wales.

The Welsh beer is in cans. They had Felling Foul Double dragon there and some Buckleys but no SA or Dark. But I did see some bottles of Bullmastiff !

Hwyl
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply Sparkie. My husband does not speak Welsh (he is from Cardiff so did not grow up speaking it) but he will be pleased to hear there is a "token" pub with proper beer...not the shite I mean lager we drink in NZ!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.