Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Wellington Thread

The Wellington Thread

Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:17 am
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Wellington Thread

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Flew into Wellington from Melbourne yesterday!!! Yep 35 MPH cross winds... got to within 20 feet of touch down, then the pilot floored it, took off again and the next thing we were landing in Christchurch and had to sit out the winds... Nearly didn't make back in three hours later when we tried again... Tis a bloody expensive roller coaster, but you do get one hell of a ride flying into Welly on a windy day!!!
Simon,
We saw a video clip, I think from the NZ Herald,
of the plane that was blown at Wellington airport away from the corridor where passengers walk to get off, it was fortunate nobody was crossing at the time! It can also be quite hairy landing at Leeds/Bradford airport in the winter, although one usually has to walk down steps there. LBA is said to be the highest airport in Britain.
Pat.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, i saw that i can't believe that as a matter of course they don't put the brakes on when on the ground!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:50 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Oo I have more!

Keep forgetting who this is! Just off Lambton quay
http://www.pimpmyskoda.co.uk/clubley...n/DSCN1530.JPG
John Plimmer (clue would be where statue is located)

and more about the "Father of Wellington"
http://www.museumofwellington.co.nz/...hnPlimmer.html

Last edited by Ted Logan; Aug 13th 2008 at 11:52 am.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

4moores is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

This is my first post! We have been looking at emigrating for a while now and in all of the research that we have done, Wellington has come out top by a longway!

I was wondering how ,those of you that have made the move, are finding it financially, cost of living, house prices, childcare etc. I am a nurse and have been in touch with a recruitment agency in NZ. I could easily get a job however my salary would be just over half of what I earn in the UK. Hubby and I can't see how we could afford to live as we understand the cost of living and housing is similar to the UK. We have 2 children aged 3 and 11 months. Hubby does not have a particularly good job and is thinking of retraining.

I know that this is a question more general to NZ but I wanted to get advice of those who are actually in Wellington.

Thank you for any advice

Lynn

Last edited by 4moores; Aug 13th 2008 at 2:02 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4moores
Hello everyone,

This is my first post! We have been looking at emigrating for a while now and in all of the research that we have done, Wellington has come out top by a longway!

I was wondering how ,those of you that have made the move, are finding it financially, cost of living, house prices, childcare etc. I am a nurse and have been in touch with a recruitment agency in NZ. I could easily get a job however my salary would be just over half of what I earn in the UK. Hubby and I can't see how we could afford to live as we understand the cost of living and housing is similar to the UK. We have 2 children aged 3 and 11 months. Hubby does not have a particularly good job and is thinking of retraining.

I know that this is a question more general to NZ but I wanted to get advice of those who are actually in Wellington.

Thank you for any advice

Lynn
Hi Lynn,

For us personally, not that much difference from in the UK, Our salary has halfed from that in the UK, but there we both had to work, but here only me! So for us our non measurable quality of life has improved dramatically. Mortagage wise it's abot the same as the UK, just higher interest rate. In NZ people are not so materialistic nor feel the need to keep up with the jones's...
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Making me sooo homesick. Left Wellies 15 months ago. Been living in the middle of the desert in UAE. I so need an injection of Wellington culture. The harbour, Hummingbird, Deluxe, OBay and on and on. I haven't seen the completed Cews Lane but looking forward to that when I come home later this year.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by larnie
Making me sooo homesick. Left Wellies 15 months ago. Been living in the middle of the desert in UAE. I so need an injection of Wellington culture. The harbour, Hummingbird, Deluxe, OBay and on and on. I haven't seen the completed Cews Lane but looking forward to that when I come home later this year.
Um I meant Chews Lane Precinct
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Welly is so freaking cold this morning. It wasn't very nice though. . ahhh.... so, Is this kind of Mediterranean weather ? ha ha ha

ANd, morning Coffee Cr*p these days. btw I've been using Starbucks coffee beans recently since I arrived back in Welly - No wonder It's bloody awful (but I had a nice cup of filtered coffee with NY Blueberry Bagel in Boston and also had heavenly nice Belgian Waffle in Seoul. ) Now I miss all that and I can't find any of these here.......... there's No Waffle place in Welly though there's a Crepe place..... . surely Kiwi don't love Waffle I think.........

... strangly I so loved American rubbish while on holiday .....fatty/super thin Bacon, Kraft sliced cheese, Folgers Coffee, Carnation Hot cocoa, Yoghurt etc ......(thought it's tasiter than kiwi food )

just thought of this......This may sound silly, however what's the best truly Made in NZ food? (as I can't think of any ...it's just me...) it could be what unique food to NZ is the best.

never mind..........
Attached Thumbnails The Wellington Thread-waffle-place.jpg   The Wellington Thread-morning-coffee-boston.jpg   The Wellington Thread-breakfast-juice-boston.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Aug 18th 2008 at 12:40 am.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did you eat all those Waffles?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Did you eat all those Waffles?

I tried a few different Waffles and each one was unique - I am surprised the fact that it's Korea (so is this a Korean (way) Waffle then? Nope.. they were original Belgian - the taste was pretty much the same that I had in Brussels, Belgiƫ)

Last edited by crap coffee; Aug 18th 2008 at 1:39 am.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:54 am
Just Joined

guyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant future

Ok, great thread. Just one question for all you folks: Where do you all live???

We've been here for 3 weeks and so far love it. Great cinema (The Embassy- went to see Wanted there last night, and you take your drinks in with you!! How cool is that?), good pubs and bars and when the weather is great: beats me why anyone would go the Auckland!

We are currently in rented apartment in the CBD but container arrives mid Sept, and we need to have a house by then. We've been around, and fancy Kelburn ($$$$), Roseneath ($$$) and poss Wadestown/Wilton, along with Wairarapa (a bit far) and the Kapiti coast. What are your thoughts, assembled minds?

Cheers,

Guy
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by guyandcheryl

We've been here for 3 weeks and so far love it. Great cinema (The Embassy- went to see Wanted there last night, and you take your drinks in with you!! How cool is that?), good pubs and bars and when the weather is great: beats me why anyone would go the Auckland!

We are currently in rented apartment in the CBD but container arrives mid Sept, and we need to have a house by then. We've been around, and fancy Kelburn ($$$$), Roseneath ($$$) and poss Wadestown/Wilton, along with Wairarapa (a bit far) and the Kapiti coast. What are your thoughts, assembled minds?

Cheers,

Guy
Hi fella,

Must admit where you live depends on what you want... we're up in Whitby, Porirua... decent easy commute to the CBD, easy access to the sea and beaches, good local shops and tranporation links into the country... The weather is also improving, with spring just round the corner... the parties and bbq's will start to flow, so stay tuned to this forum and get yourself along...

Simon
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:47 am
Account Closed

Cheers,

Guy
If you can afford it I would go for Roseneath. We lived up the top just below the Mt Vic Lookout for 3 years and it was fab. Views of the harbour and Mirimar Penninsula to die for. A 10 minute walk into Courtenay Place.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all

Cheers,

Guy
hi there if you're looking for a place to live in whitby our place is free from 7th sept pm me if you want details.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:05 am
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Welly is so freaking cold this morning. It wasn't very nice though. . ahhh.... so, Is this kind of Mediterranean weather ? ha ha ha

ANd, morning Coffee Cr*p these days. btw I've been using Starbucks coffee beans recently since I arrived back in Welly - No wonder It's bloody awful (but I had a nice cup of filtered coffee with NY Blueberry Bagel in Boston and also had heavenly nice Belgian Waffle in Seoul. ) Now I miss all that and I can't find any of these here.......... there's No Waffle place in Welly though there's a Crepe place..... . surely Kiwi don't love Waffle I think.........

... strangly I so loved American rubbish while on holiday .....fatty/super thin Bacon, Kraft sliced cheese, Folgers Coffee, Carnation Hot cocoa, Yoghurt etc ......(thought it's tasiter than kiwi food )

just thought of this......This may sound silly, however what's the best truly Made in NZ food? (as I can't think of any ...it's just me...) it could be what unique food to NZ is the best.

never mind..........
Crap Coffee,
I have only been to Wellington once, in Spring 2005 to visit our son and we toured most of the North Island, what stood out for me was the wonderful fresh fish (love the snapper!) the fruit, veggies and at the Wharf restaurant in Gisborne, the crayfish and cardomom spiced ice cream! I have never eaten such good food or drunk such great white wine, coffee was OK too. I think I would manage very well if I lived in Welly!
Pat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.