Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:38 pm
JK1
Just Joined

JK1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Wellington Thread

I have read this with interst we are looking on coming out in October
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by macslass
OK send me some positive thoughts on Welly as I'm pregnant, bored and confused.

Been to NZ three times and loved it - several Kiwis friends out there following their UK OEs. Having a second baby in 3 weeks and my hubby and I have a big life decision to make as life here is unsustainable.

We're from the North East but are living in Edinburgh which we love and until recently it's served us well with coffee shops/culture/pubs etc but we own a second floor flat which is no longer practical with a toddler (not to mention No.2) and all the buggy/plastic tat that comes with him. We would have maybe stayed but we can't bear to live along way out of town which is realistically all we could afford after the impending £1300 a month costs a month we'll be looking at when I go back to work.

So here's the dilema - hubby has been offered a transfer with work to Newcastle which is closer to family and he has to be there in January so we're leaving Edinburgh whatever. However there's a role for him in the Wellington office. They'd do all the paperwork, pay for flights, etc on the condition we stay 2 years at least which to me isn't that long.

I'm sick of the corporate rat race at home, the continual rain and grey, the spiralling costs, etc (the usual) and want a better life for my babies where they can go outside once in a while without getting wet or blown away (ok so maybe Welly isn't the best choice of city in NZ for that!).

What do you think - should we just rent our flat, close our eyes, get on the plane and hope for the best??????

Advice please from anyone who has done just that.

Joxx
Hi Jo
Well, I say Wellington. Especially if OH can get company to fund the cost. Two years will fly by and at least you won't be always saying -- if only we had gone and tried it................................................ ........................Go on - you only live once

Lou
xxx
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:34 pm
Short & Sweet

Spawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by macslass
OK send me some positive thoughts on Welly as I'm pregnant, bored and confused.

Been to NZ three times and loved it - several Kiwis friends out there following their UK OEs. Having a second baby in 3 weeks and my hubby and I have a big life decision to make as life here is unsustainable.

We're from the North East but are living in Edinburgh which we love and until recently it's served us well with coffee shops/culture/pubs etc but we own a second floor flat which is no longer practical with a toddler (not to mention No.2) and all the buggy/plastic tat that comes with him. We would have maybe stayed but we can't bear to live along way out of town which is realistically all we could afford after the impending £1300 a month costs a month we'll be looking at when I go back to work.

So here's the dilema - hubby has been offered a transfer with work to Newcastle which is closer to family and he has to be there in January so we're leaving Edinburgh whatever. However there's a role for him in the Wellington office. They'd do all the paperwork, pay for flights, etc on the condition we stay 2 years at least which to me isn't that long.

I'm sick of the corporate rat race at home, the continual rain and grey, the spiralling costs, etc (the usual) and want a better life for my babies where they can go outside once in a while without getting wet or blown away (ok so maybe Welly isn't the best choice of city in NZ for that!).

What do you think - should we just rent our flat, close our eyes, get on the plane and hope for the best??????

Advice please from anyone who has done just that.

Joxx
Hiya Jo,
The fact of the matter is, if you don't try you're never gonna know whether it's the right decision or not. The worse case scenario is , you don't like it you come back. Like you say your not stopping were you are. We visited last year for a month and it's a wonderful place. Far better for fetching our kids
(3+6) up. I know it's not gonna be all roses, but at least i or we won't have any regrets.

Dawn
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:57 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else's blog post on Wellington:

http://thehodgesnz.blogspot.com/2008...ellington.html
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all

i love welly too!!!! been out here almost 6 months and as a family we all think it's the best move we've ever made. The place itself is great loads for kids to do, loz is less stressed at work and the weather is great (it's winter at the mo and caught the sun the other day!)
Lou, you'll be coming over on the same day as my birthday you'll miss the party but i'm sure we can have another one the week after so you guys can meet everyone.(any excuse!)
i'm so glad we chose to settle in welly and if anyone out there is debating whether to make the move or not just go for it my favourite saying is it's better to regret the things you've done rather than the things you haven't. whats the worse that could happen? you'll hate it and go home!!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Hi Stasia!

Ah! Thanks for that. It's nice to know I will meet some lovely people when I get there, as I am feeling really sad and sorry for myself today. Just got back from my dads house - I go there for a bit of time out since he passed away. I was upset and decided to look through a huge suitcase full of photo's and letters that I haven't been able to face doing since December, and lo and behold - what did I find - a 1957 booklet titled "New Zealand - Prospects of Settlement"!!! My dad had been there as a young man in the merchant Navy, fell in love with Wellington, but never got in and always regretted it and I feel this is most definitely a "sign". feeling much better and positive now.

Lou
xxxxxx
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou
Hi Stasia!

Ah! Thanks for that. It's nice to know I will meet some lovely people when I get there, as I am feeling really sad and sorry for myself today. Just got back from my dads house - I go there for a bit of time out since he passed away. I was upset and decided to look through a huge suitcase full of photo's and letters that I haven't been able to face doing since December, and lo and behold - what did I find - a 1957 booklet titled "New Zealand - Prospects of Settlement"!!! My dad had been there as a young man in the merchant Navy, fell in love with Wellington, but never got in and always regretted it and I feel this is most definitely a "sign". feeling much better and positive now.

Lou
xxxxxx
Ah what a great thing to find I am sure its a sign and what a good one!!!!!!!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou
Hi Stasia!

Lou
xxxxxx
he was sending you a message hun xxx
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

a typical Kiwi bloke in nz

Attached Thumbnails The Wellington Thread-madbeef.jpg  
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Crikey!!

I am glad I'm taken then!!!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:45 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Hi Steph

Has he taken Lee's job? On the WESTPAC Account? 5th hey? That's Welly Wife's (my better half) 40th! There's a party on the sixth which we're just sorting out, so I'll PM you my mobile number, then you can ring me when you get here and come along and meet everyone in one big swoop!!!! Hel of an introduction hey.... Have you sorted temp accomodaton when you arrive?

Simon
Has Lou's Big Day been sorted yet. You doing fancy dress ???
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:47 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by crap coffee
a typical Kiwi bloke in nz

Hey, I resent that !!!!! I think ??
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Has Lou's Big Day been sorted yet. You doing fancy dress ???
Yes party is all booked for the 6th Sept... Louise is going to give Kerry the invitation on Thursday when they meet up... No it's not fancy dress...
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

grahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nice

How is everyone finding it with the current housing prices and interest levels on mortagages? I'm returning to welly later this year and need to saw the pennies for a deposit etc.

Are you currenting in hope the intertes rates will fall?

Oh yeah, as everyone would like to live near to the beach, any found it hardto find a place lyall bay, island bay, or happy valley?

I used to livein lyall and loved every moment of it

Tar
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:01 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough

Rob,
You know I always love your Welly (and any others) piccies. I`ve only been to Welly once to visit our son, will come again. Can you tell us where some of the places are please?
Pat, Harrogate ... I`m sure you know it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.