Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Wellington Thread

The Wellington Thread

Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Wellington Thread

When I knew where i was emigrating too every time i logged on to expats I'd look for any info re: Wellington but it was a real mish mash searching for it so here is the official Wellington thread. Who? what? When? why?

Who's living there? how long? What's good/bad? What's indifferent?

It's not for upsetting the dorklanders, but a lot of people are heading for Welly, so i though we need something just for it.

I'll kick things off.
I/we/the family have been here for nearly one year, love the place, the cosmopolitan feel of the city, the ease of the commute to work, the friendlyness of the people both locally in Porirua and Wellington. The schools in our area have been great and informative when we were looking to get our 10 year old in, and the one he's in has enabled him to grow immensly as an individual with responsibility. Transport links are good, loads of nice areas to live whether it be right on top of the city or way out in the sticks, there is something for everyone.

Wel i could go on singing it's praises all night, but better let others in, whether it be to shout out how great it is, say hello, slag it off or just ask about it...

WELLINGTON!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

thesixss is just really nicethesixss is just really nicethesixss is just really nicethesixss is just really nicethesixss is just really nicethesixss is just really nicethesixss is just really nicethesixss is just really nice
Default Re: The Wellington Thread

In terms of Wellington positives (as opposed to more general New Zealand positives):

- the setting. The harbour and the hills together mean it must have one of the most beautiful settings of any city in the world;

- the layout. Mainly due to the setting (hills and water close together), but once you're anywhere in the centre most of the places you'd want to or need to go to are within 20 mins walk;

- the weather. It's blowing a gale at the moment, but even when its bad it's not actually that bad - rain and wind, but never too cold. It has the most impressive rainbows I've ever seen (a back-handed compliment, I know). And on a good day - and there are lots of them - the city really comes into its own;

- close to beaches, bush and the Picton ferry;

- the amount of free stuff that is aimed at kids or suitable for them. For example, on New Year's Eve we took 4 young kids into Civic Square for a free concert, and strolled back to our car at 10:30pm without seeing any drunks or scallies. That wouldn't have happened in Liverpool. I think it would have been a different picture around Courtney Place at that time on NYE, but Wellington is still a pretty civilized place, at least in my experience;

- public transport. The buses are fairly relaible, and the drivers - despite what people say - are generally friendly;

- its got enough 'culture', for me at least - film, theatre etc. Some pretty good bookshops.

-the Westpac. It's not a stadium with any character, but really good value if you want to take kids to decent quality sport (rugby or cricket, and... maybe the Phoenix)

I could go on...it is just a really nice city. What struck me when we first arrived - and still does - is that when you look down on it from certain points it looks like it's been designed by an intelligent child. Everything a kid would expect to see in a city is there, and all pretty close together: airport, harbour, parliament, stadium, train staion, museum, a few (mini-)skyscapers.

As for people, schools etc - we've generally had good experiences. But not sure how much of that is Wellington-specific as opposed to more general New Zealand.

In terms of Wellington negatives (as opposed to New Zealand negatives): I can't really think of any. People complain that there are too many bureaucrats in Wellington (well it is the capital) and I've heard people complain that the airport runway is too short for 747s (just get a connecting flight to Auckland).

We're here for at least a couple of years. We've kept on our house in Liverpool, and if we go back it will be for the kind of financial or family reasons that take people back to the UK.

But Wellington is a superb city.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Flew into Wellington from Melbourne yesterday!!! Yep 35 MPH cross winds... got to within 20 feet of touch down, then the pilot floored it, took off again and the next thing we were landing in Christchurch and had to sit out the winds... Nearly didn't make back in three hours later when we tried again... Tis a bloody expensive roller coaster, but you do get one hell of a ride flying into Welly on a windy day!!!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

emmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant futureemmsy poo has a brilliant future

Hey guys

This is one of the cities my husband and I are looking at, could you give us some more info on what its like for living and working?

And if you have any great photos that would be even better.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:57 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

1. Wellington Boatsheds
2. view from wharf to the Monastery
3. tui - a bird. Taken in front garden
4. Island Bay
5. View of boats by chaffers marina
Attached Thumbnails The Wellington Thread-boatshed.jpg   The Wellington Thread-wellington-wharf-frank-kitts-park.jpg   The Wellington Thread-kowhai.jpg   The Wellington Thread-island-bay.jpg   The Wellington Thread-boats-what-looks-like-storm-coming.jpg  

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Jul 27th 2008 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:03 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

a few more pics
1. View of mana Island from titahi Bay
2. View of city (partial) from Oriental Bay
3. All Blacks vs France
4. All Blacks vs France
5. Hurricanes game I think
Attached Thumbnails The Wellington Thread-mana-island-i-suppose-not-strictly-wellington-city-.jpg   The Wellington Thread-gulls.jpg   The Wellington Thread-all-blacks-vs-france-2007.jpg   The Wellington Thread-all-blacks-vs-france.jpg   The Wellington Thread-stadium-canes-playing.jpg  

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Jul 27th 2008 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:08 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Did someone say photos?

Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:10 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:10 pm
Happy in Wellington

Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:12 pm
Happy in Wellington

Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:14 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

1. View from Maupuia (near Miramar) looking towards Hataitai/Evans Bay/Roseneath with city behind the hill
Attached Thumbnails The Wellington Thread-maupuia.jpg  
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Lovin this thread!!! 11 weeks and 6 days to go!! OH MY GOD
WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!Welly here we come.............................................. ............................................
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou

WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!Welly here we come.............................................. ............................................
Is that 11 weeks and 6 days UK time or should it be 11 weeks and 5 days NZ time - when posted?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

WELLY! WELLY! WELLY!
Attached Thumbnails The Wellington Thread-dscf0525.jpg   The Wellington Thread-dscf0511.jpg   The Wellington Thread-louise-boxing-day-099.jpg   The Wellington Thread-29th-sept-023.jpg   The Wellington Thread-29th-sept-077.jpg  

Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou

WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!Welly here we come...........................

You are still in the UK?

personally I've thought this is very interesting (to me) that each time I meet a Brit in Welly, and as soon as they find out I came from the UK as well, they become very chatty!) especailly ladies.............. never stop talking to me! (well. it's kind of typical British Moan though)

Brit ladies : they are very chatty and speak _Faster_ therefore I sometimes don't understand what the hell are they talking about? (Especially with a Scott!)

Kiwi ladies : generally they don't talk much unless absolutely necessarily they need it. and they certainly speak slowly than Brits.

again, I met a Brit (lady) at a shop this evening on my way home. (No wonder) We talked for a while! She explained to me that how things are Unfair (politically incorrect) in the UK and it's no longer acceptable for her/her family. hence they chose to move to NZ! yes, NZ has its own huge problems but still the UK seems a lot worse than NZ. - that's what I've heard from her !

OVerall, I hear they are rather happier here than in the U.K though they miss family sorely.

whatsoever. I arrived back in NZ last Friday! (actually I was not so sure I wanted to come back?) However I am :somewhat: happier now (after traveling) than I was - which is good.

It was 31°C in the U.S/South Korea ---> 3°C in NZ! ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh. I suck at adjusting to cold weather :curse:my place is intolerably freezing! (the room temperature has been only 11~13 °C and it never goes up any more than that! assuming the house was empty for too long with full of mice !)

anyway........if you can have a VERY GOOD JOB in Welly, you will be much happpppppppier (definitely). I personally think Wellington is a Great Place to work although NZ isn't my cup of tea..... at the end of the day, your job does not control your happiness, your mind does.

Good luck.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jul 28th 2008 at 10:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.