Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington suburbs???

Wellington suburbs???

Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:40 am
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice
Default Wellington suburbs???

Hi there

Does anyone live in a nice quiet, beautiful suburb in Welly??
Can anyone give me some pointers to which suburbs are good and which to steer clear of please? OH waiting on job offer in Welly (fingers crossed) so need to look for somewhere to base ourselves.
Any help will be appreciated
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wellington suburbs???

Hiya

We started out in Khandallah and are now in Ngaio. Both areas are really nice. If you go to Khandallah be careful where you rent or buy, some houses there don't get the sun in the winter so end up being cold and damp. I much prefer Ngaio, it's sunnier and has great views.

Hope this helps.

Catkin
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all

we used to live in whitby which is nice and quiet it's about 1/2 hour from welly lot of nice parks for the kids etc, we now live in titahi bay which we all love. Plimmerton is lovely too if you can afford it!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:46 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Tawa and we love it!
15 mins on the train to town.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds
Hi there

Can anyone give me some pointers to which suburbs are good and which to steer clear of please? OH waiting on job offer in Welly (fingers crossed) so need to look for somewhere to base ourselves.
There's loads of great areas to live in, it al depends on what your looking for in your lifestyle change! Proximity to CBD/Shops/Beaches?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi there

We lived in Vogeltown/ Brooklyn which was really nice and conveniently located

Seatoun is nice as well, but procey, furhter out from the city centre though
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I assume you mean quiet EXCEPT for the cars with ridiculous noisy modified exhausts that everyone drives here?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:46 pm
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your views

We are looking for somewhere with a good primary school, a good sized garden and near the beach. Don't want much do we!!

Whitby looks nice anyone got any views?

Please keep suggestions coming

Daz
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your views

We are looking for somewhere with a good primary school, a good sized garden and near the beach. Don't want much do we!!

Daz
Hi Daz,

Whitby is great... it's where i live! Serviced pretty well with transport into Porirua for commuter links into the CBD. Good selection of local shops, parks, playing fields and walk ways. Beaches are only about five mins drive away. The CBD is about an hour by public transport (Bus and Train) or 30 mins in the car as is Paraparaumu up the coast! The schools are terrific, especially Adventure School where our 10 yr old goes... Feel free to PM me if your after any specific info!!!

Simon
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice

I live in Kelson in Lower Hutt and it's rubbish.

I am eying up Roseneath to move to.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your views

Daz
Might I suggest you also consider living within the zone of your preferred state senior school as well, as countless people come unstuck on this one....proximity to school does not guarantee being in the zone especially in the case of secondary schools..the areas are clearly defined and not adjacent to the school necessarily (especially Eastern suburbs). Many junior schools also go up to Y8 so you can take that into account as well.
There are no real 'no go' central Wellington suburbs although personally I'd avoid Newtown and Te Aro; and I'd look for a decile 10 junior school as there are loads of these in Welly.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:11 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

just to follow on from what luvwelly has said, don't expect there to be new high schools, or even new primary schools in the area just because it is a new development. I have heard people talk (not on this site tho) about the new primary and secondary schools being developed for people who live around the Aotea block (off Whitford Brown Hill, Porirua). Yeah, not going to happen unless those schools are private such as what has eventually happened with Whitby getting the private Samuel Marsden College...after 30 years or so. The primary schools in the area (other than I think Papakowhai??) and high schools are nowhere near capacity so it is intended that those children will go to their local schools.

Just thought I would add that in. Some new developments are likely to have schools at some point, but some just use it as a potential selling point.

I should add actually, Aotea hasn't really said that, perhaps it is more a case of the inhabitants themselves.

Look at deciles but don't completely write off a slightly lower school. A decile is determined by a number of factors within the sample group - income, education level (i think), ownership of their home, number of bedrooms ratio to occupants in the house etc. Apartments/Townhouses in Wellington city have a higher chance of having fewer rooms (eg not a 5 bedroom property for a family with 2 children) and also more likely to be rented, even when the parents are on high incomes. Potentially, if that group is in the sample group that would effect the stats. Decile is a funding mechanism but does effect the type of school your child is at.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pleccy2000
I live in Kelson in Lower Hutt and it's rubbish.
LOL

A bit remote and windy is it?

Last edited by Browner_; Oct 14th 2008 at 4:52 am.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:57 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I also live in Whitby and have enjoyed my time here. Very little crime, pleasant suburb, reasonable commute to Wellington. A small shopping centre with GP practice, church, dentist, vet AND some shops It certainly gets my vote!
And I can just about see Simon's house from mine.....in fact, I'm pretty sure I can hear him shouting at the telly from here.........when the football is on....
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:16 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Lyall Bay, Good walking distant to the beach as well as shopping area in Kilbirnie, good bus route. Mostly flat. unsure about primary school (haven't been since I was a kid. Some descent sections to be had, not much sub-division.

Seatoun, good walking distance to the beach and park, good bus route. Expensive. Flat. Good primary school (so I've been told). Some descent sections to be had, not much sub-division. Crap shooping area, Miramar or Kilbirne for supermarkets

Island Bay, good beach, can bne a bit of a walk depending on location, mostly flat, excellent bus service. Unsure about primary school. Zoned for Rongotai College (boys) and Wellington East (girls) secondary colleges. Some descent sections to be had, not much sub-division. Okay shopping area (one supermarket, good butcher)

Coast wise - Plimmerton looks nice as near beach, Pukerua Bay (unsure) or going up to Kapiti Coast (Paraparaumu, Waikanae, Raumati) Whitby, Papakowhai in the hills (Papakowhai has some nice views). But for me, just to far out of Wellington. Schools in Porirua can be suspect due to other suburbs around (sorry folks )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.