Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington - Schools

Wellington - Schools

Old Aug 21st 2018, 8:22 am
Just Joined

lindsey878 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wellington - Schools

Really need help with this one. My husband and I are looking at moving to New Zealand with our 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter. They currently attend a private school in the UK and are not sure whether to continue on sending them to a private school in NZ or not. Does anyone know what the main differences are in state and private schools over there? Could anyone recommend a good school private or state? My most worrying fear is my son is very quiet and nervous. He's not into football but really likes gymnastics and ballet but I can't see this as an activity done at schools over there. Any help would be fantastic!
Old Aug 21st 2018, 8:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington - Schools

in our primary they do gym for a term each year, this can be anything from walking on balance beams to climbing up ropes and performing some movements. They did one year learn set dance routines that they then showcased to the parents but as for gymnastics and ballet that would all be done at outside school clubs. As for state/private depends on where you are living and the commute for the children. If you have a good state school in the area I personally cannot see the advantage of a private in primary unless you can get into one that goes from primary to year 13. It would be more a need when it comes to year 9 and up but to be fair from the stats our secondary state school has better results than some of the private.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 11:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by lindsey878
Really need help with this one. My husband and I are looking at moving to New Zealand with our 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter. They currently attend a private school in the UK and are not sure whether to continue on sending them to a private school in NZ or not. Does anyone know what the main differences are in state and private schools over there? Could anyone recommend a good school private or state? My most worrying fear is my son is very quiet and nervous. He's not into football but really likes gymnastics and ballet but I can't see this as an activity done at schools over there. Any help would be fantastic!
hi again Lyndsey.

Welcome to the New Zealand forum. Really glad you found your way to it.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Schools here follow the NZ curriculum which is different (obviously) to the UK one. There is a lot more freedom and variation within the school system. It is best to visit schools when you're here to find one which suits you. Ask them 'why should my child attend your school?' Schools here are very welcoming and my children spent a morning in a couple of schools in Wellington before we decided to move to the Kapiti Coast where we could get more for our money and the weather is much better!

There are very few private schools here and they tend to offer fewer subjects, especially at secondary level. The main private schools in Wellington are Samuel Marsden (for girls only) in Karori or St Marks. St Marks had quite an international rather than NZ feel to it when we visited about 10 years ago (lots of children of Diplomats etc). There is also Chilton St-James school in Lower Hutt which has a dance school attached, but again is only for girls I think.

You might find this list useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lington_Region

I'm not sure about ballet, but there is certainly a big gymnastics scene for girls and boys around Wellington area with competitions held locally and nationally. You could look at Hutt Valley Gymnastics: Home - Hutt Valley Gymnastics, Rimutaka Gym Sports: Rimutaka Gym Sports and Kapiti Gymnastics: Kapiti Gymnastics Club - Home The clubs tend to be split into 'fun' sessions and the more serious competitive gymnastics, which can take a lot of commitment. The owners of Kapiti Gymnastics are ex-international competitors and they are very professional as well as making it fun. Their top gymnasts compete in Australia too.

Any further questions, feel free to ask.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

What visa do you have?

There is no point in starting to pick out schools unless you already have a visa or a viable strategy of obtaining one.

Visa first, then the details.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

lindsey878 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. We have skilled migrant Visas so should be fine for schools. MOSO - thanks for the gymnastics clubs, my son is in a squad so used to training for 3 sessions a week already for 3 hours each. He really loves it so would be a massive shame to give it up. Kids are finally starting to get excited about coming over