Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington - possibly the windiest city on the planet?

Wellington - possibly the windiest city on the planet?

Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Wellington - possibly the windiest city on the planet?

Just came across this article about Windy Welly whilst looking for something completely non-related.

Is Welly the windiest city on the planet then?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington - possibly the windiest city on the planet?

Originally Posted by BEVS
JIs Welly the windiest city on the planet then?
Probably. And I'll be honest, I'm a Wellingtonian, born and bred. And amongst those who care, it's a point of perverse pride, as it's widely seen as supposedly keeping the fickle, the posers and those who can't hack it, far away. But it's all petty and parochial one-upmanship. However, my mum used to despair that she couldn't have the garden she wanted... and last time I was there, months all over the country with glorious weather, it wasn't until I was half-way across Cook Strait on the Aratere when the clouds gathered over the hills and it drizzled and blustered for days on end, not letting up until I was north of Otaki, some days later.

When I was younger, you could be up on the hilltops around Khandallah or Johnsonville, up by the transmitter on Mt. Kaukau, clouds low enough to touch... and you could seriously feel just one step or two from being lifted off your feet and being blown away across the hills, so yes, the weather is crappy there. Feels about on a par with London in terms of unpredictability, in terms of cloud and rain, but far far gustier... but def. milder, chances of a better summer and without the snow and sleet. Hills, rain and wind. But you can't beat Welly on a good day, so it's said. Just try not to plan your picnic too far ahead.

Back in the 70s when I was a kid, Wellington had just one rock-pop station called 2ZM... bit like Radio 1 but stuffier, owned by the govt. And the first minutes of broadcast by the new private station called Radio Windy, opened with this. I heard it, I was there.

So, yeah. Bloody windy. Last big storm: winds that hit tropical cyclone level, winds that would freak most people out in the UK and hills you wouldn't really want to walk up. Welly: graveyard of umbrellas and blow-dried hair-dos.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:51 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by a Wellington resident that Wellington is not even in the top three windiest places in NZ.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:59 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

to blinkin windy for me at times
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

According to ask Jeeves they are:
The top ten windiest cities in the world are Wellington in New Zealand, Rio Gallegos in Argentina, St.John's in Canada, Punta Arenas, Chile, Casper in USA, Dodge City in USA, Ushuaia, in Argentina, Yigo in Guam, Amarilloin USA, and Perth in Australia. These cities experience very low temperature.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:24 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
to blinkin windy for me at times
You won't be enjoying today then. Blue skies but plenty of wind.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.3news.co.nz/Wellington-wi...0/Default.aspx

I think the Wellington wind is actually a good thing to help save money for us 'woman' as we don't need to waste money on expensive hairstyles - we just go with the 'dragged through a hedge backwards' look so that on windy days, nobody knows the difference; also, we save money by not buying skirts or dresses as we maintain our modesty wearing trousers and not flashing our undergarments!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

maybe it is. but who cares.

The weather is so nice here.

I love Wellington. forever.

Thats for sure.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Just came across this article about Windy Welly whilst looking for something completely non-related.

Is Welly the windiest city on the planet then?
Not today......Ash Vegas is very windy....

Today.....I spent the afternoon chasing the trampoline round the garden....whilst sitting on the tramp contemplating how to keep it in my garden.....I see our 8ft fence panel blowing back and forth...I hop off the tramp....tried to hold up fence....as it was resting on the DANGER! Electrics & the telephone box......

A nice lady stops to ask if she could help...then my OH rolls up to the rescue, nails the fence back together with the help of 2 strapping lads.....Strapped the trampoline to the tree that sorted that....

Then tonight looking out the window at the chook house roof...it was lifting up a bit....so went out to secure it down.....a huge gust comes through and the gates whip outward and rip out the bolts.......electrical storms going on...I just hope the roof stays on tonight.......just another slap in the face for this poor little country by mother nature....

Last edited by pixiewink; Sep 10th 2013 at 9:52 am.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

It got a bit windy down south last night, thought it was 1987 all over again

Mail box blown over, cones all over the place and a few bins emptied onto the road
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've gone and spooked the place with this thread.
It is extremely gusty today with a plonking of thunderstorm about & I know Wellington is getting gale force gusts and more.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I've gone and spooked the place with this thread.
It is extremely gusty today with a plonking of thunderstorm about & I know Wellington is getting gale force gusts and more.
no sleep whatsoever last night....hahaha...

but I am so much happier in Wellington..

The city has a good feel to it. I like to see it from different places. Its always interesting!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap, I just went for a walk passing the hammock, then a minute later the hammock passed me. Toooo windy today.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:40 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

tree down at work, after school care, took out the schools phone line. Kids very excited. One of the staff members took it a bit to drastic and called the Fire Brigade whilst I was looking for the caretaker. think she just wanted an excuse to see men in uniform. She did get a bit of a dressing down from me as really not that much of a problem for our children.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britsinnz
Holy crap, I just went for a walk passing the hammock, then a minute later the hammock passed me. Toooo windy today.
I go home nearly midnight everyday here... . coz I've got nothing better to do at home....

so am out all day but actually its not that bad to walk outside. (I am actually more worried about earthquakes every moment here tho. Not the weather.)

YEs, Its windy but not terrible. heaps better than frequent torrential rain/shower in Auckland. I hate it.

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 11th 2013 at 6:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.