Wellington Posse

Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wellington Posse

Righto people, need your help please

Now we have our PR we want out of Auckland. It was always the plan to leave Auckland once we had our PR and Carl can transfer his job down to Welly or Christchurch.

Anyhow, I now need your help in telling me all the +/- of living in the capital. For those who have lived in Auckland, what are the differences in the cost of living etc etc? What is there for the kids (aged 10 nearly 11, 3 and 2 yr olds) to do? Rentals (4 bed)? anything really lol

Any help will be gratefully received and processed

Michelle x
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:25 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wellington Posse

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl

Now we have our PR we want out of Auckland. It was always the plan to leave Auckland once we had our PR and Carl can transfer his job down to Welly or Christchurch.

Anyhow, I now need your help in telling me all the +/- of living in the capital. For those who have lived in Auckland, what are the differences in the cost of living etc etc? What is there for the kids (aged 10 nearly 11, 3 and 2 yr olds) to do? Rentals (4 bed)? anything really lol

Michelle x
Hi Michelle

As soon as the ink was dry on our PR, we escaped Auckland! As you know we moved down to Marlborough and can highly recommend it, affordable, lots to do, best weather, wine industry etc. Great place for kids, safe beaches, fishing, tramping etc.

Wellington, has been our favorite city the have a night out in, if that's any recommendation, great bars, cool cafe's and resutrant, but I know the weather can if cold and windy (a couple of days ago, it was 31 in Blenheim and 20 degress in Wellington, the distance between us is 20KM!).
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

You called Michelle!

You've seen the light! Well, Wellington is a cosmopolitan city on a smaller scale than Auckland but has everything you need. The big difference is that 5 mins out the CBD on SH1 or SH2 you feel your in the country. It's a lot more stress free, people I feel are that little bit more less pretentious and have more time for you - drivers can be just as mad though. There's some great beaches but not as good as up North. The scenary is terrific, commutation into and out of the CBD is very good, takes me under an hour door to door with buses and trains and walking to get from Porirua into the CBD everyday, I turn up relaxed in the morning and get home pretty relaxed as well. Have been very impressed with the schools, compared to the UK they just care full stop. Since being here, I've seen a completely different side to me son, who has an ASD, but apart from now and then you'd never know, he's so much more confident, happy, healthy. Rental prices depend on how close to the CBD you want to be, 4 bed up near me you'd be looking at around $450 per week on average, little bit further in and a little bit cheaper in the Hutt Valley.

regards

Simon
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl

Michelle x
Is that right?
Oh...I will miss you all, but hope it all works out and you find somewhere nice.
Hope you get somewhere as lovely as the house you have now!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:55 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's very sneaky of you M&C! Can't say I blame you though. I've never been to the South Island (yet) but can highly recommend Wellington. Out of the 13 countries I've visited and the now 4 I've lived in, I can honestly say, hand on heart, that it's the most cosmopolitan, laid-back, and beautiful city I've ever stepped foot in. I feel positively blessed to live here. Of course the blue skies and the pohutakawas in bloom help but it's just stunning here.

I'm never moving.

Actually right now I don't have the slightest inclination to travel either. I've lived in some pretty big places and am actually looking forward to knowing the area like the absolute back of my hand.

Good luck with your decision! When do you have to make it by?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Like Maz I've travelled extensively and lived in another country. I've also travelled all over New Zealand (both islands) but Wellington has always given me the most positive vibes of a place to live, work and have fun. I've met some great people in Wellingon, many from this forum, other nationalities and Kiwis too. In less than 3 weeks time, I will be living my dream......