Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington / NZ music scene

Wellington / NZ music scene

Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wellington / NZ music scene

Having just packed away 1000+ vinyl and CDs to go into storage prior to our move in January, I thought I would investigate what the music scene is like in Wellington. Different from the UK anyway or so I hear

I hear from a friend that there are some dub reggae labels in Wellington, or that may just be his niche, that no-one else is into

From a previous thread that got onto Australia, the music there was predominantly pub rock AC/DC - anything else either gay or Pommie music! To broadly categorise of course - there is the Sydney Opera House, Nick Cave and the Avalanches

Although we have kids and the priority will be doing family stuff it would be nice to know of any good bars, clubs, festivals in and around Wellington
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:27 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice
Default Re: Wellington / NZ music scene

Originally Posted by turkeys
it would be nice to know of any good bars, clubs, festivals in and around Wellington
Ditto
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Turkeys, What kinda music do you like?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

A few examples lifted from my facebook page

Super Furry Animals, The Beatles, Nick Cave & the Bad seeds, The Flaming Lips, Hard Fi, Depth Charge / J Saul Kane, A Tribe called Quest, The Stone Roses, The Pixies, LCD Soundsystem, New Order, Etienne de Crecy / Super Discount, The Go Betweens, Augustus Pablo, The Breeders, Beastie Boys, Jurassic 5, David Holmes, Neil Young, Fountains of Wayne

It would be good to know of any festivals, my wife mentioned the Big Day Out when she lived tehre years back, but I think that's in Auckland

Andy
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

A few examples lifted from my facebook page

Super Furry Animals, The Beatles, Nick Cave & the Bad seeds, The Flaming Lips, Hard Fi, Depth Charge / J Saul Kane, A Tribe called Quest, The Stone Roses, The Pixies, LCD Soundsystem, New Order, Etienne de Crecy / Super Discount, The Go Betweens, Augustus Pablo, The Breeders, Beastie Boys, Jurassic 5, David Holmes, Neil Young, Fountains of Wayne

It would be good to know of any festivals, my wife mentioned the Big Day Out when she lived tehre years back, but I think that's in Auckland

Andy
When your music collection arrives I suggest we all come to your house for a big night out!
We'll let you know what's around at the end of the month after the girls night out in Wellington - if we can remember but I'd love to find somewhere that played the Pixies and the Stone Roses - takes me back to my pre married, pre kids student days - although all our kids know most of the words to most of the Stone Roses songs - makes me feel old!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Having just packed away 1000+ vinyl and CDs to go into storage prior to our move in January, I thought I would investigate what the music scene is like in Wellington. Different from the UK anyway or so I hear

I hear from a friend that there are some dub reggae labels in Wellington, or that may just be his niche, that no-one else is into

From a previous thread that got onto Australia, the music there was predominantly pub rock AC/DC - anything else either gay or Pommie music! To broadly categorise of course - there is the Sydney Opera House, Nick Cave and the Avalanches

Although we have kids and the priority will be doing family stuff it would be nice to know of any good bars, clubs, festivals in and around Wellington
mate with regards to the aussie music scene who ever told you that is talking crap. i lived there for 2 years and the music scence is varied especially in brisbane. Just got to know where to go, its the only country I ahve been to where pub acts are of a good standard, a hell of a lot of acuostic stuff in aus.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ballsrburning
mate with regards to the aussie music scene who ever told you that is talking crap. i lived there for 2 years and the music scence is varied especially in brisbane. Just got to know where to go, its the only country I ahve been to where pub acts are of a good standard, a hell of a lot of acuostic stuff in aus.
I was really just generalising for comic effect. I lived in Sydney for a year and there was a lot of good time rock in the pubs and AC/DC throwbacks - it is the home of the tribute band phenomenon , but to be fair I was a big fan of Triple J station and the Avalanches from Melbourne. I saw a few good funk banks too in Sydney, whose names I've unfortunately forgotten now.

But onto Wellington - unfortunately I won't be shipping my collection over, but have been amassing stuff in mp3 format on a hard disk, but would love to check out some NZ bands
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

I was really just generalising for comic effect. I lived in Sydney for a year and there was a lot of good time rock in the pubs and AC/DC throwbacks - it is the home of the tribute band phenomenon , but to be fair I was a big fan of Triple J station and the Avalanches from Melbourne. I saw a few good funk banks too in Sydney, whose names I've unfortunately forgotten now.

But onto Wellington - unfortunately I won't be shipping my collection over, but have been amassing stuff in mp3 format on a hard disk, but would love to check out some NZ bands
As far as I am aware wellington is generally seen as the cutural capital of NZ. Especially as far as I am concerned, i know the jazz scene is quite good there, and classical etc, as I play this myself I have made enquires about it. As for popular music, don't have a clue. Judging by the musician wanted ads I have looked at I think the tribute thing is pretty big there too.

Triple J was awsome the stuff they came out with, only in Aus.

My favourite Aus band is called Promiscuous (Brisbane based) but they have broke up now unfortunatley, they played some awsome stuff, sort of reggae, dub, latin, fusion etc, awsome but really hard to describe.

Last edited by ballsrburning; Nov 8th 2007 at 9:05 am.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by donnaf
When your music collection arrives I suggest we all come to your house for a big night out!
We'll let you know what's around at the end of the month after the girls night out in Wellington - if we can remember but I'd love to find somewhere that played the Pixies and the Stone Roses - takes me back to my pre married, pre kids student days - although all our kids know most of the words to most of the Stone Roses songs - makes me feel old!
Donna, you sound like an ex Indie dance kid ready for the big night out then?

Andy
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=226950270

Check out this NZ band. Wellington Music reviews likened them to Led Zep. They only do their own stuff.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Donna, you sound like an ex Indie dance kid ready for the big night out then?

Andy
Definitely an Indie dance kid - I never got the rave scene Ready for the big night out - we don't go out anywhere near as much as we used to in the UK so counting down the days. Sad really
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:14 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

If you happen to hear/see of a great Wellington band called Odessa try and get tickets to see them. I have seen them play a couple of times and they are really fun live.

The lead singer is a great singer and also a surprisingly good dancer. He basically has far too much energy and bounces around on stage. their first album was great.

I have a workmate who said their second album was really good too - though a review recently in the Dominion Post (Simon Sweetman) didn't like their second album much.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:40 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
Definitely an Indie dance kid - I never got the rave scene Ready for the big night out - we don't go out anywhere near as much as we used to in the UK so counting down the days. Sad really
did you have the long hair that got twirled around and always ended up in my mouth as I stepped backwards and forwards to the indie/grunge beat?
Many a great Tuesday night out spent in Klute in Durham bouncing along to Pop Will Eat Itself, Violent Femmes, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, Motorhead, Dead Kenedys, L7, The Levellers, Mudhoney, Butthole Surfers and the ususal Indie Suspects...........
Happy days, now just a distant blur................
Old Nov 12th 2007, 4:58 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby's in a band. He started rehearsing with them before I started my job. There are tons of places to play! Take a look at http://www.wotzon.com/ for listings, etc.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Lardyl - that sounded much like the playlist in Blaises on a Thursday in Middlesbrough where I used to go - happy days

From these posts it sounds like there's a good music scene going on in Wellington

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.