British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wellington Mums (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wellington-mums-516746/)

pumpkinlou Feb 24th 2008 9:06 am

Wellington Mums

:)

Hello Everyone,

It's been ages since I posted on here, for one reason and another. But now I'm back, PR granted. Coming to Welly in October!!!!! Never been before. Will have Hubby and two girls in tow. By then they will be 4 and 2.

Just wanted to re- introduce myself really and say Hi. Especially to Poppets who sent me loads of info on Kapiti and houses etc a while ago.

Looking forward to chatting to you all.

Luv

Lou xxxxx :)

spid Feb 24th 2008 9:21 am

Re: Wellington Mums

hello!

welcome back - I'm new since you joined/ last posted - nice to meet you!:thumbsup:

PumpkinPaul Feb 24th 2008 10:12 am

Hello Spid!

Nice to meet you.

Are you in the process of applying to NZ?

Lou
xx

spid Feb 24th 2008 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by PumpkinPaul (Post 5976494)
Hello Spid!

Nice to meet you.

Are you in the process of applying to NZ?

Lou
xx

Yes, right at the beginning process - probably be there Jun/july 2009 all going well.

saritabear Feb 24th 2008 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 5976300)

Hello Everyone,

It's been ages since I posted on here, for one reason and another. But now I'm back, PR granted. Coming to Welly in October!!!!! Never been before. Will have Hubby and two girls in tow. By then they will be 4 and 2.

Just wanted to re- introduce myself really and say Hi. Especially to Poppets who sent me loads of info on Kapiti and houses etc a while ago.

Looking forward to chatting to you all.

Luv

Lou xxxxx :)

Hi Lou,

I'm not a wellington mum yet but we're hoping to be there later this year too. Also have 2 kids, girl of 5 and boy of 2. Not entirely sure which area we'll end up in but would be nice to be in touch.
We're waiting for our police checks to come back then we can send in our ITA.......
sb

PumpkinPaul Feb 24th 2008 2:50 pm

Hi SB

We are the same. I am just looking on trademe.co.nz at properties in Wellington. I really like the sound of the Kapiti Coast. It's really hard to decide on an area if you've never been isn't it. That's why this site is great. Lots of advice and tips.

Look forward to chatting to you.

Good luck with your ITA.

Lou
xx

pumpkinlou Feb 24th 2008 2:53 pm

:curse:

My Hubby has just joined the forum and keeps leaving the forum logged on in his name!!

Sorry.

Lou
xx

Men huh!

saritabear Feb 24th 2008 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 5977231)
:curse:

My Hubby has just joined the forum and keeps leaving the forum logged on in his name!!

Sorry.

Lou
xx

Men huh!

Hi Lou,

sounds like my house. Me and OH fight over the laptop most of the weekend. He looks at cars and I look at houses. I've got a friend who used to live in Wellington - spent time in quite a few of the areas and she mailed me an email with her view of the diff places. If you send me a PM with your email address I'll forward it to you....its a good starting point.
sarah
(sarah bear!) pls don't ask!

nena11 Feb 24th 2008 6:42 pm

Hi,

Another one to join the list of soon to be a Wellington mum, we are also hoping to be there later this year and have a nearly 4 years old boy, so I also want to introduce myself to the forum

I have never been to NZ but my hubby has and I trust his taste, well he choose me what else can I say:rofl: At the moment we are getting all the documents ready so we can send our ITA back, I can't believe everything is moving so quickly :thumbsup:

Wilma & co Feb 24th 2008 7:51 pm

Hi Ladies :thumbup: There are lots of us mums in and about the Wellington region - I'm one of the 'Porirua Posse', so mid way between Wellington and Kapiti - and we're usually up for a coffee and chat, either real or virtual! ;)

saritabear Feb 24th 2008 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Wilma & co (Post 5978214)
Hi Ladies :thumbup: There are lots of us mums in and about the Wellington region - I'm one of the 'Porirua Posse', so mid way between Wellington and Kapiti - and we're usually up for a coffee and chat, either real or virtual! ;)

yay! are you ladies wot lunch as well?! if not coffee and gossip is always good!
sb

Wilma & co Feb 24th 2008 7:56 pm

Lunch, afternoon tea, night's out - you name it we do it!! ;)

saritabear Feb 24th 2008 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Wilma & co (Post 5978231)
Lunch, afternoon tea, night's out - you name it we do it!! ;)

oooh. I've heard about ladies like you! Can't wait to meet you all and join in! Hopefully heading up to your neck of the woods later on this year, 6 months or so....

Wilma & co Feb 24th 2008 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by saritabear (Post 5978238)
oooh. I've heard about ladies like you!

Now, how should I take that comment :confused: :rofl: :thumbsup: Look forward to seeing you in 6 months or so!

saritabear Feb 24th 2008 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wilma & co (Post 5978267)
Now, how should I take that comment :confused: :rofl: :thumbsup: Look forward to seeing you in 6 months or so!

it was the "you name it we do it" thing that got me.....I can probably name quite a lot and cos I can speak espanol and francais as well, I could say it in three languages!!! sorry not showing off. looking forward to meeting you too...shall I bring a bottle or two?!

Wilma & co Feb 24th 2008 8:19 pm

A nice bottle (or 2) is never a problem! If you have any questions before you arrive, or after, don't hesitate to ask (PM or on forum) and I'll try to help out. Got to go shopping now for a birthday present and 2 harmonicas (don't ask! :blink:) TTFN

PVFC Feb 24th 2008 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by saritabear (Post 5978285)
...shall I bring a bottle or two?!

You will not fit in around here if you are only bringing 2 bottles!!! Thats only enough for the first 5 mins for the Porirua Posse!!!

pumpkinlou Feb 25th 2008 8:07 am

Hi PVFC & Co.

You sound like my kinda Gals!! :thumbsup:

I'll bring the Vodka and Red Bull's.

And perhaps something nice to nibble on :lol:

Lou
xx

karonious Feb 25th 2008 8:54 am

Originally Posted by PVFC (Post 5978331)
You will not fit in around here if you are only bringing 2 bottles!!! Thats only enough for the first 5 mins for the Porirua Posse!!!

Ha ha ha!! The OP thinks you are a GIRL!! :eek::rofl::rofl: That will teach you to take the p*** out of the Porirua Posse!! :rofl::p

karonious Feb 25th 2008 8:56 am

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 5980024)
Hi PVFC & Co.

I'll bring the Vodka and Red Bull's.

And perhaps something nice to nibble on :lol:

Lou
xx

I only have my 12 year old daughter in this country, so don't really fit into the Mums with small kids category but you would be most welcome to come over sometime :thumbup::cool:

Maz Feb 25th 2008 8:56 am

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 5980024)
Hi PVFC & Co.

*cough!* *splutter!* That'll teach PVFC to not show their gender. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

pumpkinlou Feb 25th 2008 9:02 am

Hi Karonius,

Yes, it's nice to chat with other Ladies who are in Wellington and can offer a bit of advice. Cheers for that.

Also, any advice on what to do when you first arrive? I am about to book our flights to Christchurch, and hire a car, drive up visiting my best buddy Frenchie on Blenheim. Then arrive in Welly on the ferry. After that, I have no idea what to do. Whether to do Motel, Hotel, B & B, or try and rent somewhere before we come out?

Any advice appreciated.

Ta.

Lou
xx :)

pumpkinlou Feb 25th 2008 9:03 am

:p

Who is this PVFC then. Cheeky Devil!! :o

Maz Feb 25th 2008 9:10 am

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 5980212)
:p

Who is this PVFC then. Cheeky Devil!! :o

I'll let him know about this thread at work tomorrow. :p :rofl: :lol:

That'll teach him! :rofl:

karonious Feb 25th 2008 9:21 am

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 5980208)
Hi Karonius,

Yes, it's nice to chat with other Ladies who are in Wellington and can offer a bit of advice. Cheers for that.

Also, any advice on what to do when you first arrive? I am about to book our flights to Christchurch, and hire a car, drive up visiting my best buddy Frenchie on Blenheim. Then arrive in Welly on the ferry. After that, I have no idea what to do. Whether to do Motel, Hotel, B & B, or try and rent somewhere before we come out?

Any advice appreciated.

Ta.

Lou
xx :)

Not sure where to start Lou...
I found a place I fancied on trademe and got a friend to look at it for me - but I had already been down for an interview and been shown round the local area by another friend. Both incidentally, people I have met through this forum who have turned out to be lovely people (dannyf and Littletoe take a bow!!) Doesn't work for everyone but worked for me.
I would suggest a motel first, then look for yourself. We found a suitable rental inHamilton within 2 weeks, so it's perfectly possible to do so :thumbup:

pumpkinlou Feb 25th 2008 9:27 am

Yes, I think you're right.

Best to take a good look around ourselves. Some areas look gorgeous on the internet, but might not be our cup of tea in real life.

I actually love the look of Otaki, and the Hutt area, and Raumati Beach. but think otaki would be mega isolating. Also got to think about Hubby commuting into Welly for work, and he tells me I will have to get a job too!! Currently a Community Staff Nurse - part time. Hoping to win the lottery and live a life of luxury when I get there!! Well, we can dream can't we!

Lou
xx

Wilma & co Feb 25th 2008 9:35 am

Hi Lou. When we first arrived we had 2 weeks in a holiday home and then 10 days in a motel until our rental (which we're still in) was available. We had expected it to be a lot easier to find a rental, but then we had quite a small area we were looking in - we wanted hubby to be able to walk/cycle to work and kids to walk to school.
What time of year will you be arriving? If it's NZ winter there will be a bigger choice of motel/B&B/bach 's available until you find something more permanent. I would agree with Karonious that staying in a motel etc first will give you time to check out which area you'd prefer a more long term base in. Exciting isn't it!!!??! :blink:

karonious Feb 25th 2008 9:36 am

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 5980291)
Yes, I think you're right.

Best to take a good look around ourselves. Some areas look gorgeous on the internet, but might not be our cup of tea in real life.

I actually love the look of Otaki, and the Hutt area, and Raumati Beach. but think otaki would be mega isolating. Also got to think about Hubby commuting into Welly for work, and he tells me I will have to get a job too!! Currently a Community Staff Nurse - part time. Hoping to win the lottery and live a life of luxury when I get there!! Well, we can dream can't we!

Lou
xx

I would be happy to show you around the Porirua area once you arrive - a whistlestop tour of the local environs.
And I'm sure there will be others who can show you/tell you about other areas :cool:

pumpkinlou Feb 25th 2008 9:39 am

Hi Wilma

Yes, it's so exciting. I spend hours just sitting at the PC looking at houses, wishing I was there. We have been planning this for a few years, and now I have to pinch myself that I am actually escaping. (sounds drastic but work, area I live, bereavement etc etc all added to the need for a new life)

Did you book your holiday home before you arrived?

Thanks for the advice.

Lou
xx

pumpkinlou Feb 25th 2008 9:41 am

Thanks Karonius. That would be great.

Cheers

Lou
xx

Maz Feb 25th 2008 9:48 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 5980321)
I would be happy to show you around the Porirua area once you arrive - a whistlestop tour of the local environs.
And I'm sure there will be others who can show you/tell you about other areas :cool:

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 5980338)

Thanks Karonius. That would be great.

Cheers

Lou
xx

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Me too! http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/cktluvi/desk.gif

Wilma & co Feb 25th 2008 9:49 am

We booked the bach through www.bookabach.co.nz before we got here. You could also have a look at www.holidayhouses.co.nz or try www.holidayhomes.co.nz or have a look at the rental section on Trade me (www.trademe.co.nz) as there may be short term rentals on there. Add me to the list of people willing to show you around the area too!! :thumbup:

Alison

pumpkinlou Feb 25th 2008 9:59 am

:D

Thats lovely. Thanks very much!

Can't wait to come now!!!!!

Lou
xxx

Ted Logan Feb 25th 2008 6:03 pm

Check this out

http://www.tommys.co.nz/?id=600

depending on your budget theres some nice houses to buy.

As a nurse you should be looking in the Hutt, Wellington City or Porirua City areas as thats where the hospitals are. Hutt and Wellington being the bigger ones. Anywhere else and you will prob need a second car to drive to work.

If outside of Wellington and if your working in the city than best take the train unless on shift work or want to come in early for work. Traffic builds up at rush hour.

There are forum members from all over Wellington (not just Porirua) so ask some questions about other suburbs for alternatives.

pumpkinlou Feb 26th 2008 7:54 am

Hi Maz,

It looks like we will have quite a meet up then! Can't wait.

:thumbsup:

Lou
xx

donnaf Feb 26th 2008 8:16 am

Hi Lou,
I'm a Welly mum and a nurse, also friends with Karonious, Wilma, Maz, dreamfish etc so we will have to organise a big get together when you are ready!
Ignore Ted Logan - he is envious of the Porirua Posse and is a PP wannabe:p
Only joking Ted;)

Maz Feb 26th 2008 8:19 am

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 5984224)
Hi Maz,

It looks like we will have quite a meet up then! Can't wait.

:thumbsup:

Lou
xx

:thumbup: Sweet as! :D

Originally Posted by donnaf (Post 5984288)
Only joking Ted;)

:rofl: :D :lol:

Kerry W Feb 26th 2008 8:46 am

Originally Posted by donnaf (Post 5984288)
Hi Lou,
I'm a Welly mum and a nurse, also friends with Karonious, Wilma, Maz, dreamfish etc so we will have to organise a big get together when you are ready!
Only joking Ted;)

Hey, I might only be in Miramar but I am still a Welly mum too :o

Ted Logan and I have a 2yr old so if anyone needs any advice or are thinking of moving nearer to Welly, PM us if you need any advice.

Donna, your a traitor, you spend virtually most of your time in Welly city i.e. Oriental Bay, Te Papa, Athens Street lol :thumbsup:

pumpkinlou Feb 26th 2008 8:57 am

Hi Kerry and the rest of you Wellington Lasses!

looks like your posse is where everyone wants to be!Glad you can make room for a few newbies.

I bet it's wierd when you all first get together, because of the names!! ie.. Who was that, oh you now, Toadfish or whatever :lol:

So, how does nursing compare in NZ?

Lou
xx

Kerry W Feb 26th 2008 9:00 am

It is weird when you get together, you read posts from other members and before you meet them you always have your own perception of what they are going to be like. They are a mad lot and worth having a good night out with and very helpful and supportive.

Which brings me to thinking we are probably due another girls night out in Welly very soon!