Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington or Christchurch?

Wellington or Christchurch?

Old May 19th 2005, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default Wellington or Christchurch?

I'm currently considering whether to move to Wellington or Christchurch; which do you personally think is best? Which city has the best quality of life, friendliest people, nicest areas and scenery etc?

Jobs don't really matter as I've found out that both cities would be ok for what I want to do.

thanks.

tottefan.
Old May 19th 2005, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wellington or Christchurch?

Originally Posted by tottefan
I'm currently considering whether to move to Wellington or Christchurch; which do you personally think is best? Which city has the best quality of life, friendliest people, nicest areas and scenery etc?

Jobs don't really matter as I've found out that both cities would be ok for what I want to do.

thanks.

tottefan.
Depends on what you are looking for and your age etc. I am 31, and have found Christchurch too sleepy for me in terms of bars and shopping etc. I personally wish we had gone to Wellington. It feels more like a city. Christchurch is a sleepy place and not a city really. WHen I think city I think something like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester. Christchurch is more like a town.

Do you have a family? I think you told me once you don't. What things do you like doing? That might help with helping you.

Cheers
Old May 19th 2005, 8:19 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.

tottefan.
personally i prefer christchurch. i found wellington horrible. they call it the windy city. it depends on what you want as the other answer said. if you like places like manchester/leeds/liverpool, bustling and vibrant. go to wellington, but pretty and picturesque it aint! christchurch is more laid back. very much lijke canterbury with the river meandering through it and the cathedral. i just didn't like wellington at all, was glad when i left.

you probably need to see both to decide personally.

good luck (but i would choose christchurch every time!)

michelle
Old May 19th 2005, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bun
personally i prefer christchurch. i found wellington horrible. they call it the windy city. it depends on what you want as the other answer said. if you like places like manchester/leeds/liverpool, bustling and vibrant. go to wellington, but pretty and picturesque it aint! christchurch is more laid back. very much lijke canterbury with the river meandering through it and the cathedral. i just didn't like wellington at all, was glad when i left.

you probably need to see both to decide personally.

good luck (but i would choose christchurch every time!)

michelle

Wellington is my home town and yes whilst it can be windy sometimes (so can Christchurch which is why the fields all have banks of wind break trees).

Wellington is a beautiful habour town, I have travelled extensively and truely believe on a sunny day it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
My favourite place for lunch shed 5 by the harbour, wonderful food and wine and view. Loads of great bars, co2 Champagne bar one of my fav's, resturants, cafe's, movies and theatre and ballet. Easy good shopping too.
Personally I found Christchurch too quiet for us.
So I would choose Wellington everytime, but it is all down to personal choice and what kind of lifestyle you want.
Cheers
KAZ
Old May 19th 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Wellington is my home town and yes whilst it can be windy sometimes (so can Christchurch which is why the fields all have banks of wind break trees).

Wellington is a beautiful habour town, I have travelled extensively and truely believe on a sunny day it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
My favourite place for lunch shed 5 by the harbour, wonderful food and wine and view. Loads of great bars, co2 Champagne bar one of my fav's, resturants, cafe's, movies and theatre and ballet. Easy good shopping too.
Personally I found Christchurch too quiet for us.
So I would choose Wellington everytime, but it is all down to personal choice and what kind of lifestyle you want.
Cheers
KAZ
I second all of that.
Old May 19th 2005, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

Well, I'm a 22 year old male. I'm not really into clubbing. It doesn't have to be noisy/really lively.

tottefan
Old May 20th 2005, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

salmey is an unknown quantity at this point

prob sounds silly too many but the pollution prob put us off Christchurch but then we have two small children and nz has a huge prob with asthma etc. Christchurch to me was just another big old city same as any in the world the good bits on the outskirts skiing close and Akaroa etc. Welligton lot of character very beautiful..but the weather wow believe me it's windy.
Old May 20th 2005, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Merlot12 will become famous soon enoughMerlot12 will become famous soon enough

Well, I'm a 22 year old male. I'm not really into clubbing. It doesn't have to be noisy/really lively.

tottefan
Hi Tottefan,
reasons why we like ChCh:
mountainbiking in the Port Hills 10 min ride away and in Burwood Forest 15 min away, weekends away in Hanmer (hot springs yum), walking on the Port Hills, six ski fields within 90 min, access to the southern lakes for weekends away, hillwalking in Arthurs Pass, proper rainforest on the west coast, surfing, seakayaking, cheaper housing, scenery to die for.

reasons why Wgtn would be good:
you are not planning on buying a car, you feel like you *need* a city environment, a very compact city centre, probably better for career jobs,

Wgtn is our number two choice of cities, closer to family for us. But I love ChCh, as you can tell I am really into the outdoors, guess why I am living in Wales at the moment
Old May 21st 2005, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice. Any more comments would, of course, be welcome.

tottefan.