British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   wellington and Auckland suburb possibilites HELP!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wellington-auckland-suburb-possibilites-help-398964/)

Emms Sep 27th 2006 2:08 pm

wellington and Auckland suburb possibilites HELP!!!

Hi again

Please can anyone who knows wellington give me any feedback (positive or negative) on the following suburbs that I have now got on my short list

Normandale
Maurigaraki
Whitby
Khandallah
Johnsonville

This short list is meant to be based on family type suburbs with high standard and accessable primary/intermediate schools, bush type plots of decent size, not too built up and commercial and a with good community spirit.

I also have job possibilites in Auckland and fancy Titirangi in the west and Howick in the east. Any feedback here would also be great

many many thanks for any relpys to get another 'where to live' thread

Emma

cottageinthesky Sep 27th 2006 8:12 pm

Re: wellington and Auckland suburb possibilites HELP!!!

Originally Posted by Emms
Hi again

Please can anyone who knows wellington give me any feedback (positive or negative) on the following suburbs that I have now got on my short list

Normandale
Maurigaraki
Whitby
Khandallah
Johnsonville

This short list is meant to be based on family type suburbs with high standard and accessable primary/intermediate schools, bush type plots of decent size, not too built up and commercial and a with good community spirit.

I also have job possibilites in Auckland and fancy Titirangi in the west and Howick in the east. Any feedback here would also be great

Emma

The Western Hills above Lower Hutt fit your wish list almost perfectly - so Normandale, Maungaraki, Korokoro, Belmont, Kelson - of those, Maungaraki is probably lower quality.

Whitby is good family living - it's a new/newish subdivision, so good family living - add Paremata, perhaps parts of Papakowhai to your list, although I'm not sure about the school catchment for Papakowhai - make sure you stay on the Wellington side of the Mana Bridge - big hold ups there and on the roundabout at peak times which you can avoid by using the old Paremata/Papakowhai Road. Stay away from Waitangirua, Cannons Creek, Porirua East!

Khandallah has lots of Embassy residences which is always a sign of quality housing - add Ngaio, Wilton, Wadestown and city end of Karori to your list. Northland, Kelburn, Brooklyn are all quality suburbs but larger sections not so common.

I'd forget about Johnsonville for the time being.

You can't really go wrong with the suburbs I've endorsed but there are lots of other places that have pockets of quality housing within the catchment areas of good schools but you probably need at least 6 months of local knowledge to start to be able to make those fine judgements.

thebears Sep 27th 2006 9:02 pm

Hi again

Normandale
Maurigaraki
Whitby
Khandallah
Johnsonville

Emma

Hi Emma I know Howick and the eastern bays very well having lived there for 20 years. Major concern would be commuting - depending on where you work, the cost of housing. The area is on the beach however and is a lovely place to live.

Titirangi and the western suburbs only know from trips to the golf courses and the surf beaches ie Piha. For some reason all the girls I used to date came from that part of town. Its hilly and bushclad (really nice).

If I was moving back I would head for Devonport or Cheltham on the North Shore. There is a lovely (or was) a charming little theatre "charley grays" and numerous restaurants down the parade. For the short time i also lived here the commute to work was on a ferry right to the bottom of the main CBD high street (Queen Street).

Kiwi

jueinnz Sep 27th 2006 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi Emma I know Howick and the eastern bays very well having lived there for 20 years. Major concern would be commuting - depending on where you work, the cost of housing. The area is on the beach however and is a lovely place to live.

Titirangi and the western suburbs only know from trips to the golf courses and the surf beaches ie Piha. For some reason all the girls I used to date came from that part of town. Its hilly and bushclad (really nice).

If I was moving back I would head for Devonport or Cheltham on the North Shore. There is a lovely (or was) a charming little theatre "charley grays" and numerous restaurants down the parade. For the short time i also lived here the commute to work was on a ferry right to the bottom of the main CBD high street (Queen Street).

Kiwi

Tirirangi you will either love or hate...
Very pituresque, great views, peacefull, great for walking, and is a sunday brunch hot spot in the summer, but you have to be carefulll where ou buy, many houses are surrounded by bush (great for nature) parrots, ducks, tuis etc, but this means you have to buy on the right site, due to the many hills and lots of bush the house we used to rent din't see sun thoughout the winter which resulted in it being cold and damp. (damp easily fixed with de-humidifier) but we found it quite depressing in winter.....absolutly lovely in the summer.

Off2NZ Sep 27th 2006 10:37 pm

Hi again

Normandale
Maurigaraki
Whitby
Khandallah
Johnsonville

Emma

Hi Emma
I'm afraid that I can't help you on the Wellington suburbs but we live in Howick and funnily enough Titirangi was one of the other suburbs we looked at (we only looked at 3!). I'm afraid that Titirangi wasn't for me - yes it was very pretty but also extremely hilly!

We are very happy in Howick and my hubby works in the CBD from time to time. He leaves here at 7am and gets to Fanshawe St at 7.25am so its not too bad of a run. It takes him a bit longer to get home if he leaves at 5pm but it has never been more than an hour.

If there's anything specific you'd like to know about Howick then PM me and I'll see if I can help.

G

Albion2 Sep 28th 2006 10:02 am

Hi - I live in Green Bay - 5 mins from Titirangi. I love it...its not quite as bush like so not damp like a lot of Titirangi ( a factor as partner as asthma!). We have ducks our lawn, can see Green Bay beach from the window and its v peaceful and has its own shops plus is only 5 mins from another suburb, Blockhouse Bay. It has a great community feel out here and the schools in Titirangi are good - Green Bay school itself not so hot by all accounts but has a new Head..

SarahB Sep 29th 2006 4:41 am

Hi, we have just bought a house in Beachlands which is 20 minutes drive from Howick. I can walk to the beach in a few minutes and have small sea views from our house. The countryside round here is lovely. We are surrounded by islands here so no big waves I'm afraid.... its more like a lake. Ideal place to live if you have tiny tots.... they loves the beaches and parks. Many British people have moved into the new houses here if thats what you want. Its a beautiful place and we like it anyway. :)

Emms Oct 6th 2006 4:42 pm

Thanks everyone,,
yet again your responce has been fab and a massive help
don't really know what i would do without you

thanks again and hope to catch up with some of you one day when i finally make it.

will no doubt be back here in the mean time

love Emma