British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wellington or Auckland? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wellington-auckland-832462/)

ethnicstar Apr 28th 2014 6:02 pm

Wellington or Auckland?

Hello everybody,

So I have finally got some work experience in the UK as a Developer. And been seeing online that IT jobs are in demand in New Zealand. I had a recruitment consultant contact me recently so I just want to make sure it's true. I have been looking to move hopefully September time so I can have enough funds due to the fact the Cost of Living is suppose to be more then in the UK.

My main question is Wellington the best place to move or to Auckland for jobs within the IT sector.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :):)

westie1234 Apr 28th 2014 7:16 pm

Re: Wellington or Auckland?

Auckland will better for the amount of jobs. You will need to work out the pro's vs cons.
Higher accommodation costs in Akl but better weather and beaches etc.
Wellington should still be fine for finding an IT job. Have a look on seek.co.nz

ethnicstar Apr 28th 2014 9:22 pm

Hi westie1234,

Thank you for replying, I guessed as much I have been doing some research into both Cities. I have recently uploaded my profile on seek as well so thank you for the advice.

TommyLuck Apr 28th 2014 9:37 pm

I work in Information Services, broadly dealing with information provided online. Anecdotally a client of mine was telling me of Chch's rise in the the IT sector - joking its rise to become New Zealand's silicone valley.

He reckons that the average wage of an IT worker in Chch has sharply risen and will soon over take any other region in NZ.

Like I say this is anecdotal and if true a very high level view, but might be worth some consideration and research on your part.

snaps Apr 28th 2014 9:39 pm

:( Not a great number of IT jobs here in Rotorua.

Pom_Chch Apr 28th 2014 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 11238252)
I work in Information Services, broadly dealing with information provided online. Anecdotally a client of mine was telling me of Chch's rise in the the IT sector - joking its rise to become New Zealand's silicone valley.

He reckons that the average wage of an IT worker in Chch has sharply risen and will soon over take any other region in NZ.

Like I say this is anecdotal and if true a very high level view, but might be worth some consideration and research on your part.

I agree with this. My partner works in IT and is earning good money here in Chch. There wont be as many jobs going but the ones that are there will not have the same volume of applications as Welly and Auckland. Just over a year ago when we moved there weren't many IT people in Chch so there was a real shortage of applicants.

ethnicstar Apr 29th 2014 5:54 pm

Thank you all for the feedback, I have a few months to research into where the best place for myself. Ideally I would like to work in the IT field but I do have retail / sales experience if anything.

Pom_Chch i do like your blog so I will be looking at your future updates. :)

Pom_Chch May 3rd 2014 2:50 am

Originally Posted by ethnicstar (Post 11239567)
Pom_Chch i do like your blog so I will be looking at your future updates. :)

Why thank you ethnicstar. I haven't been as active with the blog as I would like recently. Been out and about doing heaps but not having time to write about it all!

fantail19 May 3rd 2014 3:12 am

Both are lovely but we prefer Auckland after having lived in both. It has better weather, more happening and is more multi-cultural. But Wellington has it's charms too.

Blade Down Under May 4th 2014 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by ethnicstar (Post 11237929)
Hello everybody,

So I have finally got some work experience in the UK as a Developer. And been seeing online that IT jobs are in demand in New Zealand. I had a recruitment consultant contact me recently so I just want to make sure it's true. I have been looking to move hopefully September time so I can have enough funds due to the fact the Cost of Living is suppose to be more then in the UK.

My main question is Wellington the best place to move or to Auckland for jobs within the IT sector.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :):)

How many years experience do you have as a developer?

What's your speciality

I may have a position that'll interest you. Just need to see whether you'd meet our requirements as well as immigration requirements. Unfortunately it's based in Christchurch but I could look at getting you moved up to Auckland as we have a base there after 3 to 5 years. I could look at arranging work in Sydney if Australia interests you.

You will be earning less than in Auckland but I may be able to swigger things.

ethnicstar Jun 25th 2014 6:41 pm

Sorry people for the late reply been a hectic couple months in the UK :(

At the moment I have 18 Months experience as a Developer, While having them skills I have been working on Digital Marketing and SEO, I thought it would be a better idea to get at least 2 years on my CV experience. Although I have 6 years retail experience anyway but I'm looking to move if everything works out next year but I read I can get a Working Holiday Visa from the UK?

Blade Down Under Jun 25th 2014 9:48 pm

The working holiday visa would be more obtainable for you

The issue for companies when employing migrants is that they need to satisfy immigration requirements. I believe for the job we're advertising to the world, we need someone with at least 3 years experience with an IT Background to satisfy INZ requirements. We're wanting more than that anyway but I believe that's the minimum

A skilled migrant visa will fail that and I believe you'll find it tough on a work visa. Especially with only 18 months experience. A working holiday would be easier and as a bonus, you'd be able to get some points for working in New Zealand.

Good luck with it all. Sorry I can't be of help

ethnicstar Jun 25th 2014 10:02 pm

No problem and thanks for the feedback maybe I give you a message when I have 3 years experience ;)

MrsFychan Jun 25th 2014 11:37 pm

I think you will just need to go where ever you could get a job. A friend of mine has been in the country for nearly 3yrs, tele communications and has still not be able to secure a job. Initially in Wellington and then moved to Auckland to see if the move would help. It hasn't

Robbo25 Jun 26th 2014 10:55 am

In software the jobs are plentiful, just take a look at Seek and speak to the agencies. For many others such as telecommunications it is a desert, and the market is nowhere near as buoyant as the government would like people to believe.