Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington/Auckland

Wellington/Auckland

Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:59 am
It Was Here This Morning

Want2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really nice
Default Wellington/Auckland

Hi,
My wife and myself not forgetting our 2 kids (6&4........ funny names) wish to move to NZ and we cannot decide on where to live bur have narrowed it down to the above.
I will be hopefully working in website design.....................HELP, what are the pros & cons of both these cities.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice
Default Re: Wellington/Auckland

Hi again!! We found Auckland a bit big for our tastes (not city people us!) but Wellington is not too big, has all the cafes/shops/museums/ etc and fabulous countryside around it. Plus, easy to get to the South Island from Welly. We are, apparently, waiting for the big quake tho'!!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:43 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

We liked Auckland, well the North Shore and above anyway. Didnt go to Welly but have heard good things

Have you been over?

If not is a possibility for you?

Before we did our visit Auckland was a no no but now its where we want to go
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:09 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Want2goNow View Post
Hi,
My wife and myself not forgetting our 2 kids (6&4........ funny names) wish to move to NZ and we cannot decide on where to live bur have narrowed it down to the above.
I will be hopefully working in website design.....................HELP, what are the pros & cons of both these cities.

Again, a lot of this depends on the individual and can't really be answered. For example I visited Auckland having spent years in Tokyo and it appears you might go there via Devon. Auckland felt quite small to me but might seem like a big city to you. Any pros and cons are really more to do with New Zealand itself, or countryside versus citylife than Auckland versus Wellington.

Anyway, Wellington is compact. Have you played the computer game GTA3? Wellington really is like Liberty City. I don't mean that the game makers copied it, I mean that it feels about the same size as the city in the game! It's cute. And the location is central. But it gets very windy....

We are talking Glasgow basically.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid View Post
....We are talking Glasgow basically.
And that's supposed to make him want to move there?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:47 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete View Post
And that's supposed to make him want to move there?

Actually, Wellington is more like Nagasaki to tell the truth. But nicer.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:08 pm
It Was Here This Morning

Want2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad View Post
We liked Auckland, well the North Shore and above anyway. Didnt go to Welly but have heard good things

Have you been over?

If not is a possibility for you?

Before we did our visit Auckland was a no no but now its where we want to go

Have not had the chance to go over just yet.
Just waiting to get the time off work and then we will go over for a month and spend 2 wks in Welly & then 2 weeks around Auckland.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:10 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Want2goNow View Post
Have not had the chance to go over just yet.
Just waiting to get the time off work and then we will go over for a month and spend 2 wks in Welly & then 2 weeks around Auckland.
Smart move if you can do it