Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington appears to be the place

Wellington appears to be the place

Old Oct 30th 2012, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington appears to be the place

Originally Posted by Browner_
IMO Your kids will not thank you for dumping them with Masterton. 2 hours is enough there for me <<shivers>>
I agree, it's not the worst NZ provincial town - in that it does have a cinema, a nice park, a swimming complex and a good hotel BUT Wellington or easy striking distance of Wellington (as Cappuccino suggested) would be so much nicer apart from the earthquake risk of course. Also it is not near the coast when most places in NZ are.

Best thing about Masterton is this hotel: http://www.millenniumhotels.co.nz/copthornewairarapa/

The rest is a bit of a letdown. One of the people (The DHB?) who is currently leaving NZ was based in/around Masterton, he would be able to shed more light.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

Ok, So Masterton may have some really good schools but not so great for young kids?????? I have had a look at the suggestions from links above and the school in the area that appears to suit us best is Pauatahanui School. Of course we will visit schools when we arrive, but I am just trying to narrow down the search from Wellington region. Any further suggestions or comments are really helpful, (well most!!!!!!)
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Don't have kids so can't comment on the schools, but we lived in papakowhai for 18 months and liked it. Just moved into our new house in Whitby which isn't far away.

It's a bit of a commute, but no more than i had into Glasgow and way more picturesque. It's about 30 mins in the train.

Porirua ain't pretty but has good shops, and its stunning round about.

Renting gives you the option to find your feet - mind you we chose our section a month after we got here and never found anything better.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qssue
Ok, So Masterton may have some really good schools but not so great for young kids?????? I have had a look at the suggestions from links above and the school in the area that appears to suit us best is Pauatahanui School. Of course we will visit schools when we arrive, but I am just trying to narrow down the search from Wellington region. Any further suggestions or comments are really helpful, (well most!!!!!!)
You seem to be overfixated on schools to me.

I wouldnt live in Masterton if it had the equivalent of Eton there.

Immigrants to Wellington tend to live in the Papakowhai, Whitby, Plimmerton area, or a further out in the Raumati, Paraparam, Waikanae area. Ive never heard anyone say they cant live in any of those areas because of the schools.