Wellington

Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wellington

We've been living in Australia for over 2 years, its very early stage but there might be job offer for my OH to work in Wellington.

Can any of you nice people give us some information about Wellington, the good the bad & the ugly of the place.

things like primary & high school, is it very expensive place to live?

OH spoke to someone today was told are you sure you want to move over here its very windy.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
We've been living in Australia for over 2 years, its very early stage but there might be job offer for my OH to work in Wellington.

Can any of you nice people give us some information about Wellington, the good the bad & the ugly of the place.

things like primary & high school, is it very expensive place to live?

OH spoke to someone today was told are you sure you want to move over here its very windy.
You get used to the wind

Wellington is a very compact city, it has the vibe of a very mini-Melbourne IMHO, big cafe culture here and lots of arts and entertainment on all year round so there is always something going on, the local phrase of "you can't beat Wellington on a good day" is pretty true I think, head down to the waterfront or wander along Oriental Bay or whatever and you realise why you love living here.

Its quite a cosmopolitan place, good mix of government types, office types, students and arty folks, I think ecclectic would be a good word to describe the place at times, good mix of nationalities around too.

What does your OH do? Would he be based centrally? Would you want to live near to the CBD or in the suburbs?

It is a good city for walking around though, downsides is that it can feel quite small at times and you do feel a bit trapped at times too, as you are surrounded by water to the South and if you want to get out of town for a day its the Kapiti Coast or over to the Wairarapa if you don't fancy flying anywhere. Good thing is that you are pretty central in NZ so most places are within an hour or so of flying.

Public transport could be a bit better IMHO, mostly a bus service unless you live up the coast or the Hutt Valley and you can train it into the CBD from there, well, when the trains are working properly anyway!!

Lots of walking routes, the watersports in the harbour, and decent enough sports facilities too, shopping could be improved but thats a NZ problem not just a Welly one, lots of local boutiquey shops aswell as the usual NZ chain stores. Plenty of options on cinemas and theatres and a fair amount of live sports to watch, with A League Soccer and plenty of rugby and cricket during the season.

Good mix of restaurants and cafe's and bars to cater to most tastes, food is generally rather good here

Where are you living just now out of interest???

Hope some of this helps, can't help with schools though!!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
You get used to the wind

Wellington is a very compact city, it has the vibe of a very mini-Melbourne IMHO, big cafe culture here and lots of arts and entertainment on all year round so there is always something going on, the local phrase of "you can't beat Wellington on a good day" is pretty true I think, head down to the waterfront or wander along Oriental Bay or whatever and you realise why you love living here.

Its quite a cosmopolitan place, good mix of government types, office types, students and arty folks, I think ecclectic would be a good word to describe the place at times, good mix of nationalities around too.

What does your OH do? Would he be based centrally? Would you want to live near to the CBD or in the suburbs?

It is a good city for walking around though, downsides is that it can feel quite small at times and you do feel a bit trapped at times too, as you are surrounded by water to the South and if you want to get out of town for a day its the Kapiti Coast or over to the Wairarapa if you don't fancy flying anywhere. Good thing is that you are pretty central in NZ so most places are within an hour or so of flying.

Public transport could be a bit better IMHO, mostly a bus service unless you live up the coast or the Hutt Valley and you can train it into the CBD from there, well, when the trains are working properly anyway!!

Lots of walking routes, the watersports in the harbour, and decent enough sports facilities too, shopping could be improved but thats a NZ problem not just a Welly one, lots of local boutiquey shops aswell as the usual NZ chain stores. Plenty of options on cinemas and theatres and a fair amount of live sports to watch, with A League Soccer and plenty of rugby and cricket during the season.

Good mix of restaurants and cafe's and bars to cater to most tastes, food is generally rather good here

Where are you living just now out of interest???

Hope some of this helps, can't help with schools though!!

Great help thanks, we live in Qld right now, OH is an engineer, hopefully someone would come around & tell me about schooling in NZ.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:46 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that windy! No more so than many coastal cities in my view......well there are moments I suppose.

It is small but has loads going on. It's not that expensive but house prices and rentals do get quite steep in some areas.

I find public transport is actually quite good. The buses are regular and quite cheap if a little confusing (two companies running things doesn't help). They also run late on Fridays and Saturdays so you can enjoy the excellent nightlife. I have NEVER been to a place where I have so much fun but at the same time feel so safe.

It's a very bohemian place. Lots of individual styles on show! ....and so very laid back.

The one difference you will notice is the combination of weather (cold and wet compared to Australia) and houses (built like wooden ones in Australia) - it just doesn't work....many houses are cold, damp and frankly awful - if you have to pick a house because 'it gets the sun and is therefore warm...ish' then you KNOW they don't build them right. They might work in Australia and Auckland but mot here....HOWEVER if you do take some time and do find a nice house (and though they are as rare as rocking horse droppings they do exist) then life is GOOD!!!!

It's a big topic so any specific questions - just ask

Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:58 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand schools

Another big topic but here goes.

In Wellington you have of course your private schools. Samuel Marsdens is well thought of with a campus in Karori and satellite in Whitby. It is imho VERY expensive. There are other private schools

State schools tend to be single sex, and are funded and ‘grouped’ according to decile rating (being the relative wealth of the parents of the kids – the richer the parents the less state funding – and the bigger the ‘donation’ (which is really a fee) you have to pay.) To be honest there is no getting away from the link between the decile rating and the quality of the school in terms of disicpline and accademic achievement - (my opinion - sorry to all the liberals out there)

Here’s a link you might find useful.

http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/

Many schools have tight zones. So if a school is important to you, check it’s zone before you rent or buy a house. The link gets you to a site to check that too.

Most schools have a uniform, which are mostly dated and dreadful (in the opinion of my kids anyway)

The level of study seems to be lower than the UK (it’s the only comparison I can make) but strangely a recent UN study said the levels of reading, writing, and maths and science were slightly higher in NZ than most other countries (it was third I believe behind Japan and Finland or something like that)

There is a relatively new exam system called NCEA which is in three levels at age 16, 17 and 18. Many people seem not to like this system and a few mainly private schools have adopted or offer the Cambridge A level system.

On the plus side, kids appear polite and happy at school. There seems to be a relaxed attitude to learning and kids grow at their own rate (a lot better than the pressure to pass exams they are subjected to in the UK).

It would help if you could tell me what age your kids are…..(I have them in all ages of school except kindy)

Hope that helps

Last edited by Wooly_Cow; Jul 31st 2009 at 4:02 am.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
It's not that windy! No more so than many coastal cities in my view......well there are moments I suppose.

It is small but has loads going on. It's not that expensive but house prices and rentals do get quite steep in some areas.

I find public transport is actually quite good. The buses are regular and quite cheap if a little confusing (two companies running things doesn't help). They also run late on Fridays and Saturdays so you can enjoy the excellent nightlife. I have NEVER been to a place where I have so much fun but at the same time feel so safe.

It's a very bohemian place. Lots of individual styles on show! ....and so very laid back.

The one difference you will notice is the combination of weather (cold and wet compared to Australia) and houses (built like wooden ones in Australia) - it just doesn't work....many houses are cold, damp and frankly awful - if you have to pick a house because 'it gets the sun and is therefore warm...ish' then you KNOW they don't build them right. They might work in Australia and Auckland but mot here....HOWEVER if you do take some time and do find a nice house (and though they are as rare as rocking horse droppings they do exist) then life is GOOD!!!!

It's a big topic so any specific questions - just ask

Thanks for the information however we are at the very early stage, I will come & ask more questions in near future once we get more information from the company.

In Qld there isnt such thing as night life as everything shuts at 9pm, as most people go to bed by 9 & are up at 5am, pretty boring here, at least we have something to look forward to if we move there.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the information however we are at the very early stage, I will come & ask more questions in near future once we get more information from the company.

In Qld there isnt such thing as night life as everything shuts at 9pm, as most people go to bed by 9 & are up at 5am, pretty boring here, at least we have something to look forward to if we move there.
we have 3 children, one wont be coming with us as he is in Uni, the other 2, 13 & 9, so one in High school & one in primary.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:15 am
Cow on the Beach

we have 3 children, one wont be coming with us as he is in Uni, the other 2, 13 & 9, so one in High school & one in primary.
Ah sounds like us..... we've got 4. One going to UK uni this Sept. (18), one in High School (15), one in Intermediate (11 nearly 12) and one at Primary (6 going on 16!)

The 15 year old wants to go to an Aussie Uni so you maybe could give us ideas and tips.

If you like we can exchange emails via PM and we will help you anyway we can.

I have to say that we have had the good fortune to live in many places in the world and I have travelled to very many more and ......Wellington is the BEST place I have ever been to....if you have the chance spending time here is GREAT