British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wellington-516018/)

UKNZAUS Feb 21st 2008 2:33 am

Wellington

OK, there is a *slight* possibility that for one day only next week I could be coming down to Wellington! I will have 2 toddlers with me anyway, but may have a 10 yr old too so what is there to do in one day in the capital? I will be in the city most probably - not venturing too far out on my own, I would end up in the South Island! Yes I do know I'd have to cross water but thats just the way I am :rofl:

I'll not have any transport as we'll be flying down so I must either be able to walk/public transport it :rofl:

Michelle x

luvwelly Feb 21st 2008 2:48 am

Re: Wellington

The airport is only 10mins by taxi/car, bus out of the CBD so you could do whatever main tourist attraction you liked...Te Papa is the obvious option - it is on the waterfront on the airport side of town.

irnbru14 Feb 21st 2008 4:54 am

I'd go with Te Papa, especially if the weather is a bit rubbish! You could hire one of those bike style 4 seater cars and go for a ride down Oriental Bay, or hire a pedalo and have a shot on the boating lake down at the waterfront, both of these are beside Te Papa...

Maz Feb 21st 2008 4:59 am

With 2 toddlers in tow, I wouldn't go to Te Papa. Maybe to the Botanical Gardens - fun trip up the cable car then the kids' play area is a short run down a path.

karonious Feb 21st 2008 5:19 am

I'm working all next week!! :( (I work 4 on 2 off, so not always working weekdays) or I would have come to meet you :(
Not to worry, sure we will finally meet up at some point!!
Hope you have a lovely day :cool:
Karen

luvwelly Feb 21st 2008 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5962527)
With 2 toddlers in tow, I wouldn't go to Te Papa. Maybe to the Botanical Gardens - fun trip up the cable car then the kids' play area is a short run down a path.

Why not..they have a kid friendly restaurant on the ground floor, an outdoor adventure garden and children's play areas on many of the other floors and it's usually very quiet outside school holidays so you don't have to worry too much about losing them.

luvwelly Feb 21st 2008 5:37 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5962523)
I'd go with Te Papa, especially if the weather is a bit rubbish! You could hire one of those bike style 4 seater cars and go for a ride down Oriental Bay, or hire a pedalo and have a shot on the boating lake down at the waterfront, both of these are beside Te Papa...

There's a good outdoor kids playground just along from Te Papa in the direction of Oriental Bay. There's also one beside the TSB Arena in the other direction towards Queens Wharf.