British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wellington ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wellington-438622/)

andy&georgina Mar 30th 2007 10:04 am

Wellington ...

Hi All

Andy may have a possible job interview for Welly - as we have been looking at Auckland we are not hot on what areas are good in Welly.

So can you lovely people please give me a few areas that are nice so I can have a look at them please ? :thumbsup: :thumbup:

Georgina & Andy :D

poppets Mar 30th 2007 10:12 am

Re: Wellington ...

Originally Posted by andy&georgina (Post 4581586)
Hi All

Andy may have a possible job interview for Welly - as we have been looking at Auckland we are not hot on what areas are good in Welly.

So can you lovely people please give me a few areas that are nice so I can have a look at them please ? :thumbsup: :thumbup:

try this
http://www.tommys.co.nz/?id=98

karonious Mar 30th 2007 10:12 am

Hi All

All you need to know is that there is a large BE following there, including the Danny's, the Poppet's, Winnie, Boopy: in fact, probably the biggest % of the NZ posters on this forum reside around Wellington. What more could you ask for?:thumbup:

cherry Mar 30th 2007 10:31 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4581623)
All you need to know is that there is a large BE following there, including the Danny's, the Poppet's, Winnie, Boopy: in fact, probably the biggest % of the NZ posters on this forum reside around Wellington. What more could you ask for?:thumbup:

SHHHHH

Dont Let the Campbells see you are saying that Welly is better than JAFA :thumbsup:

Just as a matter of interest how many expats have had and posted pics of a get together in Auckland.:rofl:

Come here and find a true Kiwi life with some great BE`s :thumbup: YIS

karonious Mar 30th 2007 10:35 am

Originally Posted by cherry (Post 4581679)

SHHHHH

Dont Let the Campbells see you are saying that Welly is better than JAFA :thumbsup:

Just as a matter of interest how many expats have had and posted pics of a get together in Auckland.:rofl:

Come here and find a true Kiwi life with some great BE`s :thumbup: YIS

Funny you should say that -we are planning a long weekend in Welly the weekend after Easter - anyone going to be about as we seem to be the only poor sad buggers in Hamilton? Please please, say someone will share a beer/sandwich/sausage with us! :)

poppets Mar 30th 2007 11:23 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4581685)
Funny you should say that -we are planning a long weekend in Welly the weekend after Easter - anyone going to be about as we seem to be the only poor sad buggers in Hamilton? Please please, say someone will share a beer/sandwich/sausage with us! :)

oh yes lets all have a piece of StevieB's sausage (is there enough to go round!!) ;) :D

karonious Mar 30th 2007 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by poppets (Post 4581809)
oh yes lets all have a piece of StevieB's sausage (is there enough to go round!!) ;) :D

first you're after my rocks, now it's my sausage!?:ohmy: (me writing on K's login btw)

poppets Mar 30th 2007 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4581976)
first you're after my rocks, now it's my sausage!?:ohmy: (me writing on K's login btw)

& you're complaining - could be a nice little earner for you, if you became a gigolo :rofl: :wub:

Maz Mar 30th 2007 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4581685)

Well be there up to and including the Friday night (13th) then heading up to Masterton where hubby has a gig. :thumbup:

Maz Mar 30th 2007 12:42 pm

Hi All

Oops sorry forgot to say best of luck to Andy! :thumbup:

andy&georgina Mar 30th 2007 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4582117)
Oops sorry forgot to say best of luck to Andy! :thumbup:

:thumbsup: Thanks hun

Thanks to all for suggestions of areas - anymore ?

donnaf Mar 30th 2007 9:56 pm

Hi,
we love it here. We're about 20 minutes drive from Welly centre in Papakowhai, Porirua. Boopy and Wilma and Co. live in the same area Rob Clubley is about 10 mins drive away in Tawa and Poppets and Winnie about 20 mins drive away in Waikanie, Cherry is about 20 minutes drive away in Upper Hutt. Boopy and I both work in one of the "worst" areas of Porirua which doesn't even begin to compare to the worst areas of Liverpool. Danny drives to Welly each day and njoys the drive - the views are fab and it helps him unwind on his way home.
When we arrived in Wellington our rental was near where we now live, we had planned on living in the Lyall Bay / Mirimar area but having lived in this area we decided that it had everything we wanted / needed. There is a brilliant shopping area locally, we rarely need to go elsewhere for any type of shopping. The schools are brilliant, we have lovely beaches and walks near us and the people are great. We also have got lot more house or our money here than we would nearer Welly. It is a real community here.
We considered Aukland and visited a couple of years ago but it wasn't for us - too spread out and it would have cost us more to live in the area we wanted to live in. I'm really happy that we came here and had the good luck to find a rental local otherwise we probably wouldn't have looked up here.
When /if you arrive you will be very welcome to come over and we'll show you the local sights.
ood uck with the interview Andy,
Donna

poppets Mar 30th 2007 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by andy&georgina (Post 4584183)
:thumbsup: Thanks hun

Thanks to all for suggestions of areas - anymore ?

what are you looking for in the area you want to live (beach, shops, commute to work etc etc etc )

andy&georgina Mar 30th 2007 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by poppets (Post 4584302)
what are you looking for in the area you want to live (beach, shops, commute to work etc etc etc )

Well we don't need to worry about schools as no kids - so beaches and shops not too far away. Andy likes his mountain biking so access to getting out in the great outdoors :thumbsup:

RobClubley Mar 30th 2007 11:46 pm

I know it's hard to judge with just a few days in a place, but on our first visit to NZ, Auckland just felt like another big city, and kinda soulless at night. In Wellington we felt much more comfortable and had a better experience. There was no question that this was where we wanted to live when we decided to move to NZ.

It's weird but Wellingotn is the first place I've lived where I feel 'home'.

(Don't tell my mum I said that!)