Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Well, we are going for it!

Well, we are going for it!

Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Mccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really nice
Default Well, we are going for it!

Hello all,

Have not posted for a long time due to work but I am back gaining advice.

Me and my partner have decided to make the move. She will finish Uni in July, which will then see me making the lone holiday move to NZ whilst looking for work. Once I have an offer, I will apply for a visa.

I work in IT and I have read (and spoken to NZ companies) that getting my british backside over there is the best way to land work. A few people I have spoken to who have done the same thing are now resident and working in IT.

I am not to bothered what city I move to; although I prefer Auckland and my partner prefers Christchurch, we just want a small rented house with a small garden and peace of an evening, is that to much to ask?

The last time I was on this forum, there was the beginning of a "I hate NZ" fiasco and I notice it has gotten worst! I do not want to hear them experiences in this thread if that is ok, but would like to hear from the folk who have done the move in a similiar way and if they have either succeeded or failed. It would be nice to know from the people who struggled/failed, what they would have changed with hindsight, and from you people who succeeded, any advice that you can offer.

I cannot wait, I have no kids and only my dog. I will be coming with clothes and money and nothing else, oh my guitar too. I am not after a massively paid job, just enough to live off and then build my career. (a guitar, a dog!!! I am not a tramp )

Anyway, thank you for reading and please feel free to correct me or wish me luck.

Michael
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well, we are going for it!

Very best of luck to you! It worked for me and i came out with family in toe as well! I work in IT for Telecom in Wellington and there are still plenty of IT jobs going up and down the country in Telecom/Gen-i. For a recruitment company give www.candle.co.nz a try, they were superb for both myself and two of my colleagues - very professional, very informative...

Happy New Year to you...
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:11 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Michael. I have friends who came over on a holiday visa a year ago now. Neither of them had 'qualifications' as such and it was initially a problem getting a job because they needed work permits and to get a job you need a work permit so it was a bit of a catch 22 for them. Anyway, they ended up moving from Auckland to Christchurch after a few months (they love it down there), got work, work permits and now have PR (all within a year). I'd say you'd need to have enough money to keep yourself for at least 3-6 months (looking at a worst case scenario) but if you're on your own you could live cheaply enough. www.seek.co.nz is the first port of call you should use to see what's available - I've got a couple of searches saved and new jobs are emailed to me every day and they're already advertising again - you don't really expect anything to be happening job-wise until at least the middle of January so this is a nice surprise Good luck.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Mccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really niceMccafferty is just really nice

Hey Batty and Simon

Thank you both for the reply, it is great to know that you can do it even without any quals. I have a few IT related qualifications and I am working on getting more before I come over. I have set money aside to get me through 3months and I do not mind living in a car if needs must LOL

I would be so happy with Christchurch, Auckland or Wellington, I am not expecting this to be a smooth ride, I have lived in Africa before and I know the cultural differences take time to get acquainted with, but I am looking forward to all of it.

It is nice to hear from Simon, a man who has been there and did it with his family!!! I doubt I would have the grapes to do that!

Thank you both for the links, I am signed up to Seek and have my CV on there, but it is also nice to know a few companies who are always hiring too. I have found a link which I will post that leads to all companies in any area of industry so you can speck a CV to them. May be useful for some people on here.

If I was to turn up in Auckland, what would you say is a good amount to get over 3 months? I have hear it can be done on 3000NZ dollars. I am planning on having around that amount, but I can get more without a problem. I want to get this right the first time.

Thank you both so very much for your words of encouragement

Michael
Old Jan 1st 2009, 6:56 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Michael

If you look at the requirments of NZIS for your visitors visa, they require you to be able to prove a minimum of $1000 per person for each month. If you are planning on heading to Auckland, I think you would probably need more

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rs/default.htm

I've just googled Backpackers in Auckland and got this lot for you, to look at prices. This is probably your ceapest option as far as accomodation goes
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...+Auckland&meta=

Food is a personal thing, we spend $300 a week for a family of 5, but you could probaby do it for $70 a week. As for transport, you have a pretty good network of public transport in Auckland, otherwise you can pick up an old banger for $1000 or another alternative, that would kill 2 birds, would be a camper van, if you're lucky you can pick one up for about $5000

HTH
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

hello,

i moved from Scotland to NZ in 2004. by 2007 I was in the "i hate NZ tribe and had, had enough of the tall poppy stuff etc" so I left there in 2007 for Canada with the family.

Well, as soon as we settled over there, we realised how much we actually missed NZ and how much we had forgotton all the good points about NZ!!!

We have since left Canada and returned here and are really glad to be back.

We are in Christchurch, Its not too big, its relaxed, weather is good. You can drive anywhere in the city within 20-30min.

you can walk in town easily or bus anywhere for cheap.

theres beaches and only 1.5hrs from the mountains.

nice pubs, friendly people. etc.......

As far as making it work goes, I originally came over with $2500 and a job offer in a manufacturing company here. It got me started and was enough to see me through until the wages were coming in.

rentals here in christchurch for a 2-3 bedroom place could be from $250 to $350 per week, shopping for a family of 3 for us is around $200PW, power about $90PM during the summer.

All the little things like opening bank accounts, getting car etc are very easy and if you do come to Christchurch let me tell you its the easiest place in the world to drive in !!!! just a grid. (and ive driven in London,Sydney,only to name a few!!!)

i really think that nearly all the people who make it work here are those who have a good mindset!!! if you come over here and dont realise how far NZ is from everything else, then you can get a big shock. If you are prepared to an extent to fit in to the Kiwi lifestyle, you will be loving it.

I am much better off than i ever would have been in Scotland, not just financially but in every way possible!!!

grant

PS - i came with a guitar too!!! worked for me as well!!!

Last edited by grantanddebs; Jan 2nd 2009 at 12:53 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi all

P2L: excellent information, I read about the $1000 per month, I will be taking more as I want to get this right. The link for accomodation was superb, think I will be living with people rather than heading there and getting my own place straight away, mainly as it will mean I will have some evening company. I cannot believe you can get a room for $12 LOL, that is cheap. As I will be there for up to 6 months, I will get something where I will have my own room.

Once again, thank you

Hello Grantanddebs

Superb that you hated it and managed to get back into NZ, as long as you did not declare on your way out as your reason for leaving was "I hate it here" you where always fine

Living somewhere and not realising how beautiful it is has been a mistake I made. I lived in Africa for 2 1/2 years, I left as I missed my friends and family, then as soon as I got back, I realised that a fleeting visit would have been enough for me to get over it. 15 years on and I still regret that LOL. But I will not make that mistake again.

I think I will be trying Christchurch first, I like the idea of everything you have just said, the fact that it is peaceful, yet there is plenty to do within a small radius is fantastic. Also it is cheap to rent and cheaper to live whilst I find my feet (although with the amount of food I have eaten over the festive period, Ill be supprised if I can see them )

Liverpool is feeling more and more crowded to me now, to many cars, to many people and not enough headspace. Like last night, New Years day and I am kept up until 4am with my neighbours arguing, I am currently in work and I feel like going to sleep:curse:

I also think now is a great time to move to NZ, the UK is in a downward spiral, Auz are stealing all the NZ talent, so makes finding work that little bit easier. I also wish to get involved in Voluntary work too. I do that here too for an animal sanctury, offering them free IT work when needed.

Anyway, thank you both for such good replies, I am in your debt.

Michael
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Oh and you brought your guitar! I smell the start of a band coming on LOL

What guitar do you have? what type of music are you currently playing?

I stopped playing for 2 years and have just started getting back into it