Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Well that's that...

Well that's that...

Old Sep 28th 2016, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well that's that...

Bassinets can be great but also can be an absolute pain in the backside.

Be wary in wanting a deep sleep. As soon as you hit turbulence, you have to get them out and strapped on your lap. Not what a tired little toddler wants. Nor what you want in a deep sleep.

I hope you're flying with Cathay Pacific for the long haul flights. Them and Singapore Airlines are arguably the best if you're flying with toddlers. Far better than Qantas, Air New Zealand, Lufthansa and British Airways.

Good luck being back home. Enjoy going to Oakwell again.

Last edited by Tom H; Sep 28th 2016 at 10:21 am.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck in your next adventure. Onward and upwards!
Old Sep 29th 2016, 10:18 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
I hope you're flying with Cathay Pacific for the long haul flights. Them and Singapore Airlines are arguably the best if you're flying with toddlers.
Thanks, now we know which airlines to avoid .
Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
Its easy to forget exactly where NZ is. It is NOT 22 miles from its nearest neighbour with another 3 or 4 counrtys
within a further few hours drive. The nearest place is around the same distance away of Morocco is from London

How many brits have traveled further afield than the costas or greek isles, all of which are closer to the uk than Sydney is to Auckland
I know. All our lot up there are forever going to all manner of places around the world and tend to looko on Europe as the cheap getaway in between the real deal.

The real deal here is a week in the Pacificas on special or Oz. Even then its wad. It is just so expensive to get off New Zealand or even go anywhere here. Heck , we just did a 3 day trip down South and it cost a mighty lot of $$$ really for what it was & we do basic not posh.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow so exciting and good on you for biting the bullet and not just drifting on (like we have....11 years later..) I am very jealous that you'll be heading to all those wonderful music festivals! And you'll be able to buy veg at the market without having to choose between a pepper or new shoes for the kids! All the best and please keep us updtaed once you get back!
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:42 am
Just Joined

MarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of lightMarineboyNZ is a glorious beacon of light

Well the rate today hit $1.72, so any accumulated $ you have will be worth quite a bit in Blighty. I simply would not entertain coming to NZ from the UK at these rates. Even $2 to the £ was painful, now its like living in Switzerland. So anyone from the UK reading this, be warned, you will be broke & bored. Its not like the wages here are any good.

It often is about vegetables or shoes or petrol. Crazy place!!
Old Oct 7th 2016, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vetnurse1
Wow so exciting and good on you for biting the bullet and not just drifting on (like we have....11 years later..) I am very jealous that you'll be heading to all those wonderful music festivals! And you'll be able to buy veg at the market without having to choose between a pepper or new shoes for the kids! All the best and please keep us updtaed once you get back!
Hopefully we'll get Glastonbury tickets this weekend when they go on sale, that would be the cherry on top of the cake.

Don't worry, I'll still be a regular visitor on this forum, I don't for one minute think we'll be staying in the UK forever. NZ needs a bloody good recession, a long hard deep painful recession to reset the cost of living and house prices, if that does happen (and some experts are predicting it) we may be back in the future or if we enjoy our time in Australia that might become a possibility also.

I had a walk around New World earlier and was just laughing at the prices, now I know they'll not be my problem for much longer it's become quite funny looking at the pricing.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I've just gone and bagged some Glastonbury tickets for me and the missus.

We are over the moon.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

donutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to behold

Hi I am off home too in feb it's not quite worked out boys are not settling
Old Oct 9th 2016, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

donutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to beholddonutt is a splendid one to behold

I agree beautiful island but boring � ����

Originally Posted by MarineboyNZ
Well the rate today hit $1.72, so any accumulated $ you have will be worth quite a bit in Blighty. I simply would not entertain coming to NZ from the UK at these rates. Even $2 to the £ was painful, now its like living in Switzerland. So anyone from the UK reading this, be warned, you will be broke & bored. Its not like the wages here are any good.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 9th 2016 at 7:22 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Bon voyage brother, 7.5 years in and the prices still get on my tits I can't blame you. Enjoy the adventure
Neil
Old Oct 15th 2016, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck xx we will have been here 9 months when we go back the decision has been discussed with all the family and we feel it's the best thing we haven't failed and we as a family have given our best but it's not right x so our flights are booked notice served on house notice to be handed in tomorrow first were off to surfers paradise then home you do what's right for you and 10 months is enough for some people to know if it's right remember one thing YOU DID IT 😊

Best of luck to you and your family. Frightening not knowing where you will end up in the UK. My Kiwi partner of 17 years and I arrived from the UK to Dunedin December 15. It is a great place, beautiful beaches and landscapes and even the weather is good! But we too feel something is missing and its not Dunedin that is the problem. We did not know just how different things are here, despite visiting 10 times before finally emigrating here. We too are in the top quartile of earners but we feel poor. Prices here are obscene. What sort of country sells 2 litreS ice cream or 4 bottles of pepsi for the same price of one single pepper! We feel that everything (weather aside) is inferior and twice the price. So we are seriously considering going back – asfter 10 months. Too soon – perhaps. But in life if you make a mistake, correct it quickly and get back on track!
We just cant see ourselves living here beyond the short term.
Enjoy the rest of your time in NZ/Dunedin.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I did that too the food is expensive x good luck with going back we're going back to Notts in feb after a quick stop in oz

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Hopefully we'll get Glastonbury tickets this weekend when they go on sale, that would be the cherry on top of the cake.

Don't worry, I'll still be a regular visitor on this forum, I don't for one minute think we'll be staying in the UK forever. NZ needs a bloody good recession, a long hard deep painful recession to reset the cost of living and house prices, if that does happen (and some experts are predicting it) we may be back in the future or if we enjoy our time in Australia that might become a possibility also.

I had a walk around New World earlier and was just laughing at the prices, now I know they'll not be my problem for much longer it's become quite funny looking at the pricing.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

So anyone from the UK reading this, be warned, you will be broke & bored. Its not like the wages here are any good.

Remind me again why you are here. . . .oh, you like to moan about anything and everything. that's right

How do you know someone will be bored,
I live in Otago and I'm not bored. I've also lived in the Waikato and Auckland, and I wasn't bored in either of those places either.

Again I have to revert to the old adage, If you don't like it here, **** off somewhere else. don't stay and bore everyone with your bullshit

I have never been happier, healthier or wealthier than I am now in New Zealand
Old Oct 16th 2016, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting to know the percentages for Migrant Brits who are:

A) Happy in NZ
B) Reasonably content and get on with it (with the occasional moan about cucumber prices).
C) Miserable but are going to stay (and moan about everything)
D) Gone back.

Must admit last time I was in an English pub 90% of the drinkers fitted into C) :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.