Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Well that's that...

Well that's that...

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well that's that...

We've sold the house, we've handed in our notices and the flights are booked, we're heading back to Blighty and we can't wait.

It's been coming for some time, we've obviously been missing family more since the baby was born but add to that how isolated we feel here (especially in Dunedin) and the very high living costs and it's a no brainer. We worked out the other day it's been more than 6 months since either of us left the city boundaries, it starts to get to you after a while, although Dunedin is a beautiful place it's not the most exciting of places and unless you drive for hours or jump on a flight you're pretty much stuck here. Apparently our household income is in the top 30% and we lead a very thrills free life but every month we have less money than the last, we have run out of things to cut back on. With the booming property market and very favourable exchange rate now is the perfect time to leave.

We don't for one minute regret moving here 5 and a half years ago, I'd recommend to anyone that living overseas is a fantastic experience. Both of us just feel for now the UK is a better place for us, we can offer our little boy much more and he needs to be around his family. Maybe we'll be back in the future, maybe we'll try Australia, we don't know.

At this point we're not sure where we will end up in the UK, that depends on a few things. One thing we are sure on is now we have done a bit of moving around we don't think we'll stay anywhere for long again, we have the bug now.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:10 am
Just Joined

JohnLH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Well that's that...

How was it like to live in a student town like Dunedin without being a student?
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

The students just stick to the north side of the city and we live in the south side so you don't really notice them.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:15 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
We've sold the house, we've handed in our notices and the flights are booked, we're heading back to Blighty and we can't wait.
Gee, that was quick Matt. Goodbye and good luck.

I guess you will have to share having little 'un on your lap between you and your wife on the flight home.

Your mum will be made up to see you all when you land in Britain !

Which shipping company have you used to ship all your worldly goods ? Did you have to re-home your dog or is it coming with you ? We will have to re-home our cat come the day we leave.

Christmas in winter.....bring it on !

I guess you are flying Dunedin to Auckland then onbound to Britain. If you got NZ citizenship, would you apply for an NZ passport or maybe it isn't a big deal to you ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 23rd 2016 at 3:26 am. Reason: Thought of something else & better formatting & I'm nosey
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Gee, that was quick Matt. Goodbye and good luck.

I guess you will have to share having little 'un on your lap between you and your wife on the flight home.

Your mum will be made up to see you all when you land in Britain !

Which shipping company have you used to ship all your worldly goods ? Did you have to re-home your dog or is it coming with you ? We will have to re-home our cat come the day we leave.

Christmas in winter.....bring it on !

I guess you are flying Dunedin to Auckland then onbound to Britain. If you got NZ citizenship, would you apply for an NZ passport or maybe it isn't a big deal to you ?
We've booked the bassinet for the big flights, we are taking a holiday on the way home via Australia and Hong Kong. It's the first proper holiday we've had in 7 years. Dunedin to Brisbane to Hong Kong to Manchester (via Beijing).

I've not arranged a shipping company yet, we don't leave until the end of next month.

Ringo the dog is coming back with us
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:36 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Yay !

Hope you all have a great holiday in Aus and Hong Kong on the way back.

It will be 'interesting' to see the seasons changing as you fly from southern hemisphere late Spring/early Summer, back to the northern hemisphere early winter.

I remember seeing the early spring snow drops in February in Britain then seeing the turning autumn leaves in March in Christchurch.

Home for Christmas x
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 4:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

oohhh and I was just reading this morning that Dunedin is the new place to be. will see if I can find the article. obviously not for you tho.

have a good trip back and don't forget to put your details in the Sticky Thread
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 4:54 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you Matt. You seem like a good guy so I hope everything works out well for you and your little family. Don't be a stranger, keep us all updated
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I've not arranged a shipping company yet, we don't leave until the end of next month.

When you do can you let us all know who/how much?

Same with the dog too.

We're looking at going back too, probably May next year.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
When you do can you let us all know who/how much?

Same with the dog too.

We're looking at going back too, probably May next year.
The dog is between $3k and $4k.

We're not taking much stuff back with us, no appliances, hardly any furniture, just clothes and belongings.

I will let you know though.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Wish you and your family all the best Matt and hope all goes well for you.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:20 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Matt
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:22 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move back - we moved back 4 months ago after 8+ years in Auckland and even though we have had/still have a whole heap of issues, I am so glad to be back in blighty.
I love the weather - not as hot/humid as Auckland was last summer, the autumnal weather is setting in and is beautiful, just how I remember it and can't wait for a cold, frosty (probably wet) Christmas.
Jobs are the biggest issue - I have a well paid one, but not entirely sure I like it, DH is struggling to earn well so far, but we will see what happens
As far as shipping goes, we used Transworld and they were excellent, no breakages, and cheaper than Allied Pickfords & Crown. I did do a lot of packing myself, but happy to save a good few $$$. For the pets I would highly recommend George at Pet Transport based at Auckland Airport - he is truly awesome and both pets arrived fit and well - especially our little poodle who is 12 and was so ill at the beginning of the year we thought we would lose her.
Take care, good luck, and look forward to more updates.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:28 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

found that article

New Data Finds The Best City In New Zealand To Live In
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

It's been coming for some time, we've obviously been missing family more since the baby was born but add to that how isolated we feel here (especially in Dunedin) and the very high living costs and it's a no brainer. We worked out the other day it's been more than 6 months since either of us left the city boundaries, it starts to get to you after a while, although Dunedin is a beautiful place it's not the most exciting of places and unless you drive for hours or jump on a flight you're pretty much stuck here. Apparently our household income is in the top 30% and we lead a very thrills free life but every month we have less money than the last, we have run out of things to cut back on. With the booming property market and very favourable exchange rate now is the perfect time to leave.

We don't for one minute regret moving here 5 and a half years ago, I'd recommend to anyone that living overseas is a fantastic experience. Both of us just feel for now the UK is a better place for us, we can offer our little boy much more and he needs to be around his family. Maybe we'll be back in the future, maybe we'll try Australia, we don't know.

At this point we're not sure where we will end up in the UK, that depends on a few things. One thing we are sure on is now we have done a bit of moving around we don't think we'll stay anywhere for long again, we have the bug now.
Pleased for you and hope it all goes well. The UK is a lovely place in many ways and I'm sure you'll settle back fine - the folks must be made up to have the little back here.

Presume you are a citizen, so Oz will be an easy option in the future I'm guessing if you can't control wandering feet.

Hope everything progresses well. I'd love an update on how you find it back here in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.