Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Well that was quick

Well that was quick

Old Apr 11th 2005, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

fran & edd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Well that was quick

just heard that my application for residence has been approved in principal (have to pay the migrant levy of £115 & send passport).

I only applied just over 3 weeks ago!!! Mine was an application under the partnership (family) quota (Eddie's a kiwi)...had thought it might take 6 months! heh, heh, NZ must need me!!

so now we can book flights .....arrange shipping...arrange a house rental for when we arrive in Tauranga....and make arrangements for Bruno....quite a bit to do then! But excited now can actually make firm plans.

anyone out there fly via Los Angeles, and if so who with? Had quote for Qantas via lax (upgrading to BAs World Traveller Plus one leg) but after reading reviews on the web not keen to travel with Qantas.....

Frances
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

David Bullman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Well that was quick

Originally Posted by fran & edd
just heard that my application for residence has been approved in principal (have to pay the migrant levy of £115 & send passport).

I only applied just over 3 weeks ago!!! Mine was an application under the partnership (family) quota (Eddie's a kiwi)...had thought it might take 6 months! heh, heh, NZ must need me!!

so now we can book flights .....arrange shipping...arrange a house rental for when we arrive in Tauranga....and make arrangements for Bruno....quite a bit to do then! But excited now can actually make firm plans.

anyone out there fly via Los Angeles, and if so who with? Had quote for Qantas via lax (upgrading to BAs World Traveller Plus one leg) but after reading reviews on the web not keen to travel with Qantas.....

Frances
Hi Frances, My partner David is applying through partnership as well.(i'm kiwi, been here 13 yrs!) Sent his application off Feb 23, told to send Migrant Levy on 18th march. Haven't heard anything since! Its been 3 weeks, so hoping to hear soon. Mind you, haven't sold our house yet, fingers crossed things will start moving!!!!!!!!!
Jennie.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by David Bullman
Hi Frances, My partner David is applying through partnership as well.(i'm kiwi, been here 13 yrs!) Sent his application off Feb 23, told to send Migrant Levy on 18th march. Haven't heard anything since! Its been 3 weeks, so hoping to hear soon. Mind you, haven't sold our house yet, fingers crossed things will start moving!!!!!!!!!
Jennie.

Hi Jennie

did he send his passport to them? The letter I received said to send the levy and passport so they could put the residence visa in my passport (I sent a copy with the appl. as we are going to Tenerife for a week soon).

good luck with selling your house..where are you living in UK?

Frances
Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi Frances,

I sent Davids passport off with the original application(along with my NZ one), and they still have it. Been watching the bank account, to see if the £115 has gone out!
We're in Bedford, we'll be staying with my parents when we first get there , in Papakura, South Auckland. And my grandad lives in Tauranga.
Can't wait to see how much the place has changed...
Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi Frances,

I sent Davids passport off with the original application(along with my NZ one), and they still have it. Been watching the bank account, to see if the £115 has gone out!
We're in Bedford, we'll be staying with my parents when we first get there , in Papakura, South Auckland. And my grandad lives in Tauranga.
Can't wait to see how much the place has changed...

Have you not been back for a hol? You'll prob notice big changes if not..Eddie thought his hometown of MAsterton had changed quite a lot in 6 years.

good luck with everything

Frances
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Received everything this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davids got the blue residence visa in his passport, and a returning residents visa. So all together it only took 7 weeks from start to finish. The only delay we had was when they wanted to know why our daughter wasn't on his application - i had already got a NZ passport for her a year ago! (hadn't told them that!)

Anyway, i think i am more excited than David. (my last visit was over 5 yrs ago now).

So pleased!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

Hi Frances and Jennie

I am applying under the partnership policy too. My husband got his NZ citizenship through in April last year as his mother was born in NZ although my husband has never lived in NZ. I was told to just apply for the 2 year work VISA and then see if I like it and then apply for residency when I am there. I haven't done anything about my VISA yet as I knew it would only take about 3 weeks and we are not in a position to move until the end of our summer. Do you think I should be applying for Residency instead/also? I have all the paperwork but was confused about the form to fill in regarding all family details even tho they aren't coming with me. Plus, also confused about sponsoring me etc. We have enough proof of our relationship, although married only 5 months, been together 12 years. But I am assunigh I need the medicals etc. How much do they cost and how long do they take to make an appt? Think one of you said you were in Bedford, we are in Rushden, 12 miles north of Bedford of the A6 so any help on the Police record, hospital/doc for medical would be appreciated.

Congrats to you all for your good news!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sally,

We're in Bedford, and were given a few options of where to go for the medical. David went to Capio Pinehill Hospital in Hitchin, Herts. I know there was one in Cambridge as well. He had to book about 2 weeks in advance. They do a chest x-ray and cost £160. The police check we were told could take up to 40 days, but we got it back in about a week. Costs £10. Your local station will give you a number to call for one.

I sponsored David on his application, as i am a NZ citizen. So your husband would fill out the one on yours, it needs to be witnessed by a solicitor or Justice of the Peace. (costs £5-15). The family details on your application form are just immediate family only. We were confused about that bit as well! Theres different sections for different parts of the family.

I don't know whether you should go for the Residency first, it just depends on how long they take with it. We sent ours 23rd Feb, and got it back today. But then there was the medical etc to get before that.

I hope this helps!

Jennie.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sally,

We're in Bedford, and were given a few options of where to go for the medical. David went to Capio Pinehill Hospital in Hitchin, Herts. I know there was one in Cambridge as well. He had to book about 2 weeks in advance. They do a chest x-ray and cost £160. The police check we were told could take up to 40 days, but we got it back in about a week. Costs £10. Your local station will give you a number to call for one.

I sponsored David on his application, as i am a NZ citizen. So your husband would fill out the one on yours, it needs to be witnessed by a solicitor or Justice of the Peace. (costs £5-15). The family details on your application form are just immediate family only. We were confused about that bit as well! Theres different sections for different parts of the family.

I don't know whether you should go for the Residency first, it just depends on how long they take with it. We sent ours 23rd Feb, and got it back today. But then there was the medical etc to get before that.

I hope this helps!

Jennie.
Hi Sally

I went straight for the residence visa as I felt it was more permanent and I could work (set up my own business) as soon as I got there..not sure what the benefits of getting a work permit instead are - unless its cheaper..? Its cost me a total of £765:
medical 110
xrays 70
police cert 10
visa appl. 460
migrant levy 115

I went to my own solicitor to get copies certified (passport, birth cert & the sponsorship) and wasnt charged anything for that. The total time its taken me to gather evidence, have medicals/xrays, and have the visa approved is only 10 weeks. Hope this helps

Frances
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!

Accepted an offer on the house today! Can't believe its in the same week as David getting residency!

The couple who are buying are getting married in 2 months, and want to move before then. I don't know if everything will go through in time for them, we'll have to wait and see.

If it is that quick, there is so much to do!

Jennie.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:04 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fran & edd

Frances

Cathay Pacific have some great deals travelling b4 June15 and also Singapore Airlines and Virigin have a great offer out too......I work in travel so let me know if you have any questions!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lucyb
Cathay Pacific have some great deals travelling b4 June15 and also Singapore Airlines and Virigin have a great offer out too......I work in travel so let me know if you have any questions!

we got a good deal with Malaysian Airlines through DialaFlight who were very helpful (see their website) flying via Langkawi (or we couldve stopped in KL) stopping there for 2 days (nice to break the journey), it was £515 each one way Lon to Auckland on 17th Aug, but Im sure theyd have quicker flights around the same cost. Havent flown with them but Eddie has and they have great legroom in economy.

Frances
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Just curious-do you have to fly out via LA? It's just that, and I'm sure many other forum members might agree, Singapore Airlines are fantastic. You get really good deals to stopover in Singapore i.e. reduced hotel costs, free admissions to various sight seeing activities, free airport-hotel-airport transfers. Not only that, they are a brilliant airline-excellent inflight entertainment-you are so busy flicking through the films, music channels, gameboy things and stuffing your face with food, the flight passes in no time. I didnt want to get off the plane!!! (well, that's maybe a slight exaggeration!!!)
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tayberry
Just curious-do you have to fly out via LA? It's just that, and I'm sure many other forum members might agree, Singapore Airlines are fantastic. You get really good deals to stopover in Singapore i.e. reduced hotel costs, free admissions to various sight seeing activities, free airport-hotel-airport transfers. Not only that, they are a brilliant airline-excellent inflight entertainment-you are so busy flicking through the films, music channels, gameboy things and stuffing your face with food, the flight passes in no time. I didnt want to get off the plane!!! (well, that's maybe a slight exaggeration!!!)

Singapore Airlines are fantastic but if you're over 5'7" or have longer than average legs you may find economy cramped, especially if the passenger in front of you reclines their seat for the whole flight (as happened to me). This is the only criticism I had - if I had shorter legs I'd def fly with Singapore Airlines as their service and inflight entertainment is excellent. I chose Malaysian due to the reviews Ive read on the web about their economy cabin being so roomy and comfortable...and in comparison to other airlines they were v reasonable fares.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

Hi Frances

I thought Singapore Airlines had more leg room than other airlines?
Hope all is well?
Sally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.