Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

well that was an odd quake

well that was an odd quake

Old Dec 2nd 2014, 6:34 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default well that was an odd quake

GeoNet - Quakes

Spooked the cat but made no quake wave in the fish tank. Thought something large had fallen onto our roof or a rather large truck had crashed. no actual wobble. been told that if you hear rather than feel it you are near the epicentre?

Last edited by MrsFychan; Dec 2nd 2014 at 6:37 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: well that was an odd quake

I remember a big quake in 1968, it was a rolling one, I was in primary school and the floor of the classroom was like jelly, it wobbled so much we couldn't stand up. How big was this one?
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

They're worse when you're in a high raised building

I remember a 2.8 quake that sounded as if a plane was about to crash into our building. Hardly any shaking but the noise was something else

Tis the noise of them that frightens me more, the noise of the 6.5 in Seddon and the 6.0 in Christchurch that I've participated in scared the excrement out of me
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 8:55 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

it was only a 3 at 15km deep. not something I think you would generally feel and as I said didn't really feel anything just heard it.

Inlaws were over last January and they were in Stratford when a fairly big one hit and they said they saw the floor rolling, now that would seem really frightening and not sure how I would cope if/when it happens to us
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

Had the cooker move across the floor once, I really don't think you can ever get accustomed to quakes, we had a plan, turn off the gas heating/cooker and open the garage door. You would be surprised how many people are unable to access their cars if the garage door moves and can't be opened.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

I experienced my first big one when I was just about to go to sleep after I had been out drinking. Managed to convince myself (as my bed was rocking and the high rise building swaying) that I had definitely drunk too much this time. :-)
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:16 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Totally missed that one.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 1:42 am
Just Joined

1redbird1 is an unknown quantity at this point

The first (and only, so far) quake I've experienced was so small I only really noticed it because of the waves in the fishtank! Thankfully it was just a gentle swaying, maybe I need a contingency plan for the fishies....
Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by 1redbird1
The first (and only, so far) quake I've experienced was so small I only really noticed it because of the waves in the fishtank! Thankfully it was just a gentle swaying, maybe I need a contingency plan for the fishies....
yes you do not just for quakes but for power cuts. we have a UPS for ours and also spare quilts nearby to cover it.