British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   well..I've seen my first one of the season.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/well-ive-seen-my-first-one-season-573796/)

lisag8070 Nov 18th 2008 10:40 am

well..I've seen my first one of the season..

I was driving home from picking DD up from school yesterday and whilst we were sat there at the lights I glanced over to my right and there it was...strapped to the top of the Jeep Cherokee like a trussed up offering...

Yep you've guessed it I'd just seen my first christmas tree being taken home by a Customer..

is it me or are people starting earlier and earlier...:blink:

lisa67 Nov 18th 2008 12:20 pm

Re: well..I've seen my first one of the season..

If he puts it in the house now it'll end up looking like a stick by Dec. 25th!!:)

nc-gremlin Nov 18th 2008 12:56 pm

A Christmas tree appeared in the lobby at work sometime yesterday.

On a positive note the company is giving away turkeys again this year to all employees. Mmmmmmmm free turkey.

dgsyd1 Nov 18th 2008 1:18 pm

There's a house that I pass on the way to work every day that's had it's decorations up for about 3 weeks now, and going on previous form, probably won't take them down until about late February.
We were always told when growing up that you didn't put up decorations before December 1st, and had to take them down by January 6th, so it still takes some getting used to when decorations start going up all over the place come Thanksgiving.

cindyabs Nov 18th 2008 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by dgsyd1 (Post 6985187)
There's a house that I pass on the way to work every day that's had it's decorations up for about 3 weeks now, and going on previous form, probably won't take them down until about late February.
We were always told when growing up that you didn't put up decorations before December 1st, and had to take them down by January 6th, so it still takes some getting used to when decorations start going up all over the place come Thanksgiving.

My Dad said something about they had to be taken down by the 6th or it was bad luck? His mother was one of those who could quote superstitions until the cows came home.

lisag8070 Nov 18th 2008 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by dgsyd1 (Post 6985187)

yep...that was always the rule at my house, 12 days before and 12 days after..

it just seems weird...especially with it still being November and it not even being Thanksgiving yet..go figure..

lisag8070 Nov 18th 2008 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by nc-gremlin (Post 6985125)
A Christmas tree appeared in the lobby at work sometime yesterday.

On a positive note the company is giving away turkeys again this year to all employees. Mmmmmmmm free turkey.

Are you going to eat the Turkey for Thanksgiving or save it for Christmas?

tamms_1965 Nov 18th 2008 1:33 pm

The day after Thanksgiving is the earliest I get anything out, and then I'm just getting the boxes up from the basement and sorting through everything. Then it must go down no later than the weekend after New Year's.

nc-gremlin Nov 18th 2008 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 6985214)
Are you going to eat the Turkey for Thanksgiving or save it for Christmas?

It will be eaten for Thanksgiving. We will have the in-laws come to us and then we will go there for Christmas, (a day trip, it's ~70 miles each way). I would happily have turkey at Christmas as well but my MIL tends to do a spiral cut honey ham (one year she did turduckhen which was nice).

Janek66 Nov 18th 2008 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by nc-gremlin (Post 6985254)
It will be eaten for Thanksgiving. We will have the in-laws come to us and then we will go there for Christmas, (a day trip, it's ~70 miles each way). I would happily have turkey at Christmas as well but my MIL tends to do a spiral cut honey ham (one year she did turduckhen which was nice).

My husband has put the Christmas music on (Holly - XM Radio)....sad bugger that he is.

Turkey for both days at my house. With an additional ham at xmas

lisa67 Nov 18th 2008 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Janek66 (Post 6985271)
My husband has put the Christmas music on (Holly - XM Radio)....sad bugger that he is.

Turkey for both days at my house. With an additional ham at xmas

Turkey both days here too with Turkey curry on Boxing Day. No Xmas decs until the beginning of December and down by 12th Night (6th Jan) I'm not usually superstitious (except for not putting new shoes on the table) but this one has stuck in my house.

SpoogleDrummer Nov 18th 2008 2:08 pm

My wife put the Christmas tree up last week despite me making her promise she wouldn't. She normally hates Christmas but this will be our son's first and it's our first since we got our own place (Still going to the in-laws for the day though) so she's got all excited.

As for turkey we'll have it Thanksgiving, Christmas and I plan on buying another this weekend just so we can have it on sandwiches etc.

Janek66 Nov 18th 2008 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 6985337)
My wife put the Christmas tree up last week despite me making her promise she wouldn't. She normally hates Christmas but this will be our son's first and it's our first since we got our own place (Still going to the in-laws for the day though) so she's got all excited.

As for turkey we'll have it Thanksgiving, Christmas and I plan on buying another this weekend just so we can have it on sandwiches etc.

I hope its not a real one

cindyabs Nov 18th 2008 2:15 pm

Thanksgiving of course a turkey-I'll be doing the meal, driving to my Mom's 6 hrs next Wednesday afternoon and then up and at 'em to start the cooking Thursday.I always did New England style dishes, but with the addition of a southern belle DIL, I add a few thigs for her. I draw the line at gravy with hard boiled eggs in it!!!!!!!! :ohmy:

Christmas is always Prime Rib with Yorkshire pudding.

Janek66 Nov 18th 2008 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 6985360)
Thanksgiving of course a turkey-I'll be doing the meal, driving to my Mom's 6 hrs next Wednesday afternoon and then up and at 'em to start the cooking Thursday.I always did New England style dishes, but with the addition of a southern belle DIL, I add a few thigs for her. I draw the line at gravy with hard boiled eggs in it!!!!!!!! :ohmy:

Christmas is always Prime Rib with Yorkshire pudding.

Gravy with hard boiled eggs in it????????? God that sounds truly foul.