British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Well - How much then? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/well-how-much-then-452010/)

lapsed kiwi May 23rd 2007 7:44 am

Re: Well - How much then?

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4818350)
are you burt ;) badger in disguise???

Nah, Avid is witty and he seems to enjoy life

Avid May 23rd 2007 7:50 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 4818413)
I'll have to take your word for that. I thought they got paid by the yard?

ahh...that's why I pay twice the advertised price...

Thanks for clearing that up (as I told the doctor a week later...boom boom!)

kato33 May 23rd 2007 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 4818055)
Wont matter, they are coming to NZ with 50k gbp if you read.
hope they are not expecting to buy anything for 50k gbp thats all IN NZ!:D

No we didn't expect to buy anything with £50000.

We are not all stupid you know.

Kato33

kato33 May 23rd 2007 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Apple Tree (Post 4818081)
I am sure their research is better than that!

Thanks Appletree,

Rascal May 23rd 2007 8:32 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 4818540)
No we didn't expect to buy anything with £50000.

We are not all stupid you know.

Kato33

Did I say you were?

Rascal May 23rd 2007 8:33 am

Careful Apple tree mat e ,

Rascal May 23rd 2007 8:34 am

Originally Posted by tootsie (Post 4818084)
Sheesh!! that wouldn't even buy you a 2 up 2 down in Welsh Wales :rofl:.

And you cant grow decent apple trees in wales.:D

Rascal May 23rd 2007 8:36 am

Hear Te awamutu is the place to grow really good Apple tree's tho?

kato33 May 23rd 2007 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 4818569)
Did I say you were?

Apologies for assuming.

Dont want to get into this heated nasty thingee that goes on sometimes.

Should of had at least 100k but remortgaged so much just to live in this shite hole.

Put me in a shed in the back garden, as long as I am my children are happy then thats home.

kato33

Rascal May 23rd 2007 8:50 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 4818621)
Apologies for assuming.

Dont want to get into this heated nasty thingee that goes on sometimes.

Should of had at least 100k but remortgaged so much just to live in this shite hole.

Put me in a shed in the back garden, as long as I am my children are happy then thats home.

kato33

No worries, its just that 5 years ago, house prices in NZ compared well with wages and 50k gbp COULD buy you a nice home. But house prices have risen rapidly here like Uk but salary hasn't.
The same house we bought for 50k gbp then (was $157k) is now at $350k. Yet salary has remained the same as it was in 2002. That has hit many people and the high dollar doesn't help people coming out now with their gbp.

PaulGent May 23rd 2007 10:13 am

Originally Posted by tootsie (Post 4818070)
This isn't meant as a criticism at all but how would you fare if you had four kids to bring up on a reduced salary? My point being that it's mostly the families who find it hard to make ends meet.

BTW Did you ask why NZ is short of truck drivers? have they all left for better work overseas?:)

We do have 4 children ... and 2 grandchildren. We did bring them up on a reduced salary. We seem to have fared pretty well despite all that. For us personally the decision to move to NZ was right for us at the time we decided to move. It will not suit everyone - each on to his or her own I think.

I believe that at least some of the shortfall in the number of truck drivers is as a result of the poor invetsment in transport infrastructure. If the rail networks had been retained then the need for truck drivers would not be so great. If the roads were better then journey times would be reduced and there would be less need for truckers.

My point was that there are lots of opportunities for truckers here in NZ. The decision over whether you would rather do the job here or elsewhere in the world is entirely up to the individual.

kato33 May 23rd 2007 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by PaulGent (Post 4819007)
We do have 4 children ... and 2 grandchildren. We did bring them up on a reduced salary. We seem to have fared pretty well despite all that. For us personally the decision to move to NZ was right for us at the time we decided to move. It will not suit everyone - each on to his or her own I think.

I believe that at least some of the shortfall in the number of truck drivers is as a result of the poor invetsment in transport infrastructure. If the rail networks had been retained then the need for truck drivers would not be so great. If the roads were better then journey times would be reduced and there would be less need for truckers.

My point was that there are lots of opportunities for truckers here in NZ. The decision over whether you would rather do the job here or elsewhere in the world is entirely up to the individual.

For anyone driving everyday in and around the M25 will know exactley what its like for a truckie.

Sheeesh.....It would make me go mad but luckily the OH is a lot more laid back than me although even he cant stand it.

Give us scenery over tower blocks during our working hours and I know what I would pick.

We are coming over Paul, sod all the negatives, cannot be any worse for truckies than it is here.

Nisey May 23rd 2007 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by tootsie (Post 4817304)
It's quite possible to earn the same, if not more, than was earned in the UK if you're in the right job and I never quite understand why people settle for less (maybe they fall for the tosh that the cost of living is lower in NZ?)

I started this thread and having read all the discussion maybe now is the time to step back in.

On our recent reccie we found that in general things were roughly on a ratio 1:2 on price except for new cars and houses. What I mean by this is if a cinema ticket cost us $15 in the UK it would cost us £6.50 so roughly half. And this seemed to hold true for lots of things.

So we worked on the basis that in order to achieve a similar standard of living as we have at home I would need to achieve roughly double my salary in dollars. i.e. if I earned £45k here I'd have to earn $90k in NZ.

Like in the UK we will look at what we can afford to pay for a house and go find an area that we can afford to live in. I can't live in multi million pound houses in the UK so why should I expect to be able to in NZ. Equally I'll have to buy a second hand car rather than a new one, but that seems to be the norm, and looking at most sites there are alot of older low mileage cars that would be in budget and would do us just fine.

I received two job offers, if I had expected to achieve the same as or more than my salary in the UK then they would have to have paid me in excess of $300k on the exchange rate so lets be realistic about what the pay rates are tootsie. I did however achieve double the figure in $, so by my reckoning we will be on the same standard of living, with some things being cheaper for us and others being more expensive, but probably balancing out to be the same.

happynz May 23rd 2007 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 4817986)
Does that include the land? I'm in.

Yup, land included. Unlimited opportunities for opussum skinnin' and settin' up a landin' pad for the Rapture. Yee-haw. Praise the Lord and pass me some of dat moonshine.

kato33 May 23rd 2007 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nisey (Post 4819774)
I started this thread and having read all the discussion maybe now is the time to step back in.

On our recent reccie we found that in general things were roughly on a ratio 1:2 on price except for new cars and houses. What I mean by this is if a cinema ticket cost us $15 in the UK it would cost us £6.50 so roughly half. And this seemed to hold true for lots of things.

So we worked on the basis that in order to achieve a similar standard of living as we have at home I would need to achieve roughly double my salary in dollars. i.e. if I earned £45k here I'd have to earn $90k in NZ.

Like in the UK we will look at what we can afford to pay for a house and go find an area that we can afford to live in. I can't live in multi million pound houses in the UK so why should I expect to be able to in NZ. Equally I'll have to buy a second hand car rather than a new one, but that seems to be the norm, and looking at most sites there are alot of older low mileage cars that would be in budget and would do us just fine.

I received two job offers, if I had expected to achieve the same as or more than my salary in the UK then they would have to have paid me in excess of $300k on the exchange rate so lets be realistic about what the pay rates are tootsie. I did however achieve double the figure in $, so by my reckoning we will be on the same standard of living, with some things being cheaper for us and others being more expensive, but probably balancing out to be the same.

Thanks for that Nisey. It will give us something to go on if the job offers come flooding in.

Kato33