Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Well - How much then?

Well - How much then?

Old May 22nd 2007, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well - How much then?

Originally Posted by Avid
What? You have to have a job, 2 kids and a mortgage to post on this site?

True, I've never read the site rules but I just assumed you had to be a British person thinking about moving to/wanting to live in/living in New Zealand to post on this forum.

Sorry if the idea that I might have money upsets you, but as you don't actually know me and have to base your ideas on what I type...then this is especially for you...

I live on the beach, eat what the seals and penguins leave behind and hope one day to get an entry-level job in IT.

Happy now?

Yes please read the rules Avid..... you have to be married with 2.2, have a job and be very pro everything NZ to post on here. So please go now, if you go quietly I will throw in a few smilie faces to show that I am joking!!

(oops looks like I don't qualify to post here either - shall I get your coat when I get mine?!)
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
It is impossible to say. I don't know what your salaries are and what money you will be bringing over or how you live.... do you like buying clothes/shoes do you like nice things for the house? All of that has an impact on how you will live.

When we were in Chch we had a joint salary of over 100K $ and we did actually struggle compared to how we lived in the UK. I am aware that 100K is a good amount but for us it was not enough. We liked having coffee out a couple of times a week. We liked going out for something to eat (nothing flash - Pizza with friends) and we enjoyed a bottle of wine in the evenings. I did not buy clothes for a whole year, which for me was depressing.

Everyone is different, we do not like the feeling of having to struggle and we felt we were at times in NZ. That is just us though. There are many others that do not struggle at all and there are others that like us did.

So in summary it comes down to your expectation. What kind of house you want to live in and where, what equity you will bring, what your salaries will be. For example if you buy a house outright then you can do very well on a $70K salary but if you have a large mortgage then you might not be so flush.

Good luck, I am sure that you are doing the right thing and just having last minute nerves.
Cheers Lexylou,

I am not one for shopping for clothes, as long as we are clean, tidy and smart then that does us just fine. We love having friends for dinner/bbq and don't go out much. With 4 kids who wants too, the little buggers!! We live in a small but modest 3 bedroom house but after years of struggling with debts and remortgaging, will only be taking about £50000 with us.

OH is a truckie and I am in office/admin/transport management. Our salaries here are around £45000 joint income so not loads. The family are very sports orientated. Motocross, boxing and football are our lives, so apart from getting a couple of bikes the rest dont usually cost that much.

My eldest is 17 and works so thats one that don't cost too much. My other worry is, the OH is very very laid back so I think it will suit him perfectly but I on the other hand am constantly at 100 miles an hour and am now worried that I wont "fit" in.

kato33
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:17 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Yes please read the rules Avid..... you have to be married with 2.2, have a job and be very pro everything NZ to post on here. So please go now, if you go quietly I will throw in a few smilie faces to show that I am joking!!

(oops looks like I don't qualify to post here either - shall I get your coat when I get mine?!)
Married...yes. Kids....no. Job....not at the moment, but I might think about getting one in the future.....or getting a student visa

pro NZ...yes, I like it here....

less money than cherry....ah....that might be a problem.

I'll get my coat.....
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
Cheers Lexylou,

I am not one for shopping for clothes, as long as we are clean, tidy and smart then that does us just fine. We love having friends for dinner/bbq and don't go out much. With 4 kids who wants too, the little buggers!! We live in a small but modest 3 bedroom house but after years of struggling with debts and remortgaging, will only be taking about £50000 with us.

OH is a truckie and I am in office/admin/transport management. Our salaries here are around £45000 joint income so not loads. The family are very sports orientated. Motocross, boxing and football are our lives, so apart from getting a couple of bikes the rest dont usually cost that much.

My eldest is 17 and works so thats one that don't cost too much. My other worry is, the OH is very very laid back so I think it will suit him perfectly but I on the other hand am constantly at 100 miles an hour and am now worried that I wont "fit" in.

kato33

I am sure you will fit in fine. My MIL is 100% kiwi and does everything at 1000 miles an hour so there are plenty of people who are fast paced in NZ!

Where in NZ are you going? That will have a big impact on how far your £50K will go on house buying. Also will you both be working?
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Married...yes. Kids....no. Job....not at the moment, but I might think about getting one in the future.....or getting a student visa

pro NZ...yes, I like it here....

less money than cherry....ah....that might be a problem.

I'll get my coat.....
yes, you don't have boat either so you better get your shoes also. Can you collect mine please.... I left them at the door.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cherry
SNIFF SNIFF I smell a little bit or perhaps a lot of the preverbial B*** here .If you are such a person of leisure then why did you join/post here amongst expat immigrants .Do you really need to feel at home or are you so rich and lonely you need to see how we manage on normal wages .I think you are full of . and the question was not answered
See your prior quote ( Mazi that is a excellent post ,salary wise we earn more than the amount you said but we are both skilled ) and you don't have a mortgage ,with more to come.
Hypocrite, me thinks.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

50k gbp wont buy anything outright in NZ, unless you are in the middle of nowhere and about 3 days travel away from work!
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:26 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

yes, you don't have boat either so you better get your shoes also. Can you collect mine please.... I left them at the door.
Being told by a person who boasts about not having a mortgage but having a boat that I am too well-off to post here......

For goodness sake......

Actually, I had a boat but trying to steer it and post on this forum 20 hours a day led to tragedy.....
Attached Thumbnails Well - How much then?-images.jpg  
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
See your prior quote ( Mazi that is a excellent post ,salary wise we earn more than the amount you said but we are both skilled ) and you don't have a mortgage ,with more to come.
Hypocrite, me thinks.

must be really hard managing, my heart bleeds for them
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Being told by a person who boasts about not having a mortgage but having a boat that I am too well-off to post here......

For goodness sake......

Actually, I had a boat but trying to steer it and post on this forum 20 hours a day led to tragedy.....
yes you men are no good at multi tasking.....!!
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you will fit in fine. My MIL is 100% kiwi and does everything at 1000 miles an hour so there are plenty of people who are fast paced in NZ!

Where in NZ are you going? That will have a big impact on how far your £50K will go on house buying. Also will you both be working?
We are looking at Bay of Plenty, don't really know why. A company has showed interest but are asking for the OH to go over on his own, which he really does not want to do as he likes being with the family. Crraaazzzyyyy man!

We will both be working as I am one of those saddo's who love to work.......keeps me from killing the kids...LOL

Kato33
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

For goodness sake......

LOL LOL LOL LOL

You funny guy.

Keep 'em coming.
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Well - How much then?

I'd say anywhere between $70-90,000 for a couple would be fine.

But....

That would average out at about 28,000 UK Pounds or 14,000 Pounds/each.

This makes NZ a potential money trap...the lifestyle is good within the country but how on earth can anybody ever leave on such a comparatively low wage? After tax, mortgages and living expenses you'll be lucky to save 1,000 pounds/year

So the moral of the story is.....kiss luxury goods goodbye!!
Thank God!!! A honest person!! Living in the UK was luxury, we just didn't know it until we moved to NZ. Can't live on these wages at all!!! Returning to uk June 07.
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

I was having a conversation at work yesterday with a kiwi woman, really nice person she is. She was telling me that her 2 sisters live in OZ and her brother went to Canada 20 years ago, all for better wages and lifestyle.
She was asking what made us come to NZ as it couldn't possibly be the salary or the 'lifestyle' that NZIS spout!
I told her like most migrants we were conned into believing life was better and cheaper here when in truth, for us, its nether!
She says her sisters often ring her and ask "Is NZ still on the $10ph mentality mode"..
She laughed back and told them we have now had a rise to $11.25ph! Less 19% tax of course.
Its difficult to survive here unless you want to spend the rest of your life learning how to make 100 different meals with a lettuce leaf.
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rascal
I was having a conversation at work yesterday with a kiwi woman, really nice person she is. She was telling me that her 2 sisters live in OZ and her brother went to Canada 20 years ago, all for better wages and lifestyle.
She was asking what made us come to NZ as it couldn't possibly be the salary or the 'lifestyle' that NZIS spout!
I told her like most migrants we were conned into believing life was better and cheaper here when in truth, for us, its nether!
She says her sisters often ring her and ask "Is NZ still on the $10ph mentality mode"..
She laughed back and told them we have now had a rise to $11.25ph! Less 19% tax of course.
Its difficult to survive here unless you want to spend the rest of your life learning how to make 100 different meals with a lettuce leaf.
You said it in ONE. If u want a decent standard of living and a quality of life. NZ is NOT the place!! Hooray at last for honesty!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.