Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Well - How much then?

Well - How much then?

Old May 23rd 2007, 5:15 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Well - How much then?

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi

I actually get paid by the year

i read it as one payment per year too
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:17 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
In the UK? Dunno...
In OZ? Dunno...
In the USA? Surprisingly, this...
You could by several of these plus a big ol' pick-up truck. Right in the heart of Missouri's wine country.

http://www.hartmanrealestate.com/DH420.htm

Yee-haw!

Does that include the land? I'm in.
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kato33
Cheers Lexylou,

I am not one for shopping for clothes, as long as we are clean, tidy and smart then that does us just fine. We love having friends for dinner/bbq and don't go out much. With 4 kids who wants too, the little buggers!! We live in a small but modest 3 bedroom house but after years of struggling with debts and remortgaging, will only be taking about £50000 with us.

OH is a truckie and I am in office/admin/transport management. Our salaries here are around £45000 joint income so not loads. The family are very sports orientated. Motocross, boxing and football are our lives, so apart from getting a couple of bikes the rest dont usually cost that much.

My eldest is 17 and works so thats one that don't cost too much. My other worry is, the OH is very very laid back so I think it will suit him perfectly but I on the other hand am constantly at 100 miles an hour and am now worried that I wont "fit" in.

kato33
Hi Kato
My wife and I considered emigrating to New Zealand in the early 90s when our children were young enought to come with us. Unfortyunately we were not able to do it then and we had to wait until the children were grown up. We love the lifestyle over here and, from what you say about your family, so will they. I really don't think you will struggle too much and I would say the chance to bring your family over is too good to miss.
Incidentally, I was chatting to a truck driver this weekend and he told me that NZ is short of more than 6000 truckers at present. He was telling me that there is not only loads of full time work available but also lots of additional casual work too if you want it.
A guy who was working for me (a kiwi) is about to emigrate to Oz and since leaving my outfit he has found himself a casual job driver a truck on a building site towing a water tender at $20/hour - and he can do as many hours as he wants!
If you want my advice then come over and enjoy the lifestyle. You won't make a mint but the better weather and all the 'free' things to do will more than compensate for the lack of funds.
Just so the nosey parkers on here are kept happy .... my salary here is about a quarter of what I was being paid in the UK. Do I care....NO. My wife and I manage very comfortably!
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:19 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
No, silly, I get paid by the year but every two weeks. People who get paid by the hour don't actually get a cheque every hour, do they?
Hookers do.......
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
and what will it buy you in the UK? Or Oz? Or the US?
Wont matter, they are coming to NZ with 50k gbp if you read.
hope they are not expecting to buy anything for 50k gbp thats all IN NZ!
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:55 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PaulGent
My wife and I manage very comfortably!
This isn't meant as a criticism at all but how would you fare if you had four kids to bring up on a reduced salary? My point being that it's mostly the families who find it hard to make ends meet.

BTW Did you ask why NZ is short of truck drivers? have they all left for better work overseas?
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulflour
blimey... I wish i had TIME for watching grass grow!! what with all the going to the beach, hanging out with friends, taking part in events, volunteering, stimulating rewarding work and enjoying life to the FULL we just don't get the time!

We LOVE it here, and don't struggle nearly as much as we did in the UK.

So some people love it, some people hate it - sounds like anything in life really! and that's just the way it's always been and the way it always will be - vive la difference.

SF

You forgot to mention posting daily on forum (s) that must keep you VERY busy.
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:59 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rascal
Wont matter, they are coming to NZ with 50k gbp if you read.
hope they are not expecting to buy anything for 50k gbp thats all IN NZ!

I am sure their research is better than that!
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:01 am
Clear sighted member

Sheesh!! that wouldn't even buy you a 2 up 2 down in Welsh Wales .
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:03 am

Tell me about it. Simple rule of life..Have Kids...bye bye money.

Don't have kids....bye bye heart-warming moments...hello jimmy choo shoes!!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:13 am
Clear sighted member

Jimmy choo...kids....jimmy choo...kids....? that's a tough one.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by tootsie
Jimmy choo...kids....jimmy choo...kids....? that's a tough one.
Children grow up and leave (often to ex-colonies)

Shoes are forever....
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

not really - the odd 5 mins here, 5 mins there - down times at work, after kids bedtimes etc.... I have a studio in our house (we both do, one each ) and wireless broadband... one of the perks of having no tv is more time for wasting on forums! what can I say - i love reading people's experiences.

Posting and reading is my downtime... it's the OTHER stuff that keeps me busy
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:26 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Avid
I'd say anywhere between $70-90,000 for a couple would be fine.

But....

That would average out at about 28,000 UK Pounds or 14,000 Pounds/each.

This makes NZ a potential money trap...the lifestyle is good within the country but how on earth can anybody ever leave on such a comparatively low wage? After tax, mortgages and living expenses you'll be lucky to save 1,000 pounds/year

So the moral of the story is.....kiss luxury goods goodbye!!
are you burt badger in disguise???
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Hookers do.......
I'll have to take your word for that. I thought they got paid by the yard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.