Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Well - How much then?

Well - How much then?

Old May 22nd 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well - How much then?

We have never found the 'lifestyle' here. Its been all hard work, long hours and sh*te pay. Not to mention sh*te employers.
I do not want to spend the rest of my life sitting in one city, having no money for fuel to drive anywhere different, no money for plane fares to travel anywhere decent. No money to enjoy anything at all in life. So different to our life we had back in UK. Then, we had a life, here has just been a existance.
If people are happy to just beach/BBQ or watch grass grow for the rest of their lives, thats fine, but its not for us, we would rather LIVE!
Off to OZ soon anyway.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

blimey... I wish i had TIME for watching grass grow!! what with all the going to the beach, hanging out with friends, taking part in events, volunteering, stimulating rewarding work and enjoying life to the FULL we just don't get the time!

We LOVE it here, and don't struggle nearly as much as we did in the UK.

So some people love it, some people hate it - sounds like anything in life really! and that's just the way it's always been and the way it always will be - vive la difference.

SF
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:49 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

There's that word 'conned' again.

Please tell me who conned who. Many people do find the lifestyle better in NZ for them, and that is a personal and subjective matter..

Nobody in NZ says that we are in the top ranks of the OECD by wealth or income measures, like the UK is. It is clear where we rank, and clear that we would aspire to rise from our current "underperforming" status.

Spouting about being conned and 'some honesty at last' makes out there is some sort of conspiracy. Everyone has their own take on things, and clearly for some NZ is not the right solution. But just as clearly it is right for others.

Lets debate what makes it right and wrong for different people rather than sweeping statements either way.

Last edited by southerner; May 22nd 2007 at 11:33 pm. Reason: sp
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
I was having a conversation at work yesterday with a kiwi woman, really nice person she is. She was telling me that her 2 sisters live in OZ and her brother went to Canada 20 years ago, all for better wages and lifestyle.
She was asking what made us come to NZ as it couldn't possibly be the salary or the 'lifestyle' that NZIS spout!
I told her like most migrants we were conned into believing life was better and cheaper here when in truth, for us, its nether!
She says her sisters often ring her and ask "Is NZ still on the $10ph mentality mode"..
She laughed back and told them we have now had a rise to $11.25ph! Less 19% tax of course.
Its difficult to survive here unless you want to spend the rest of your life learning how to make 100 different meals with a lettuce leaf.
I just worked out my approximate hourly pay - $48.61 (I actually get paid by the year). My wife gets $65ph but no annual leave, pension scheme or health care (which I do get). I guess if you build up the right qualifications and experience so you are attractive to employers, you can get decent pay. In NZ, UK or anywhere.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:11 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

It's quite possible to earn the same, if not more, than was earned in the UK if you're in the right job and I never quite understand why people settle for less (maybe they fall for the tosh that the cost of living is lower in NZ?)

For some reason many migrants believe that if they accept an job on the NZ national average income this means that they will be able to make ends meet. Many come here to work for 2/3 - 1/2 of their old UK wages.

What they are NOT told is that the average wage isn't sufficient and many, many people have to claim state benefits.

The government taxes its residents to the hilt to pay for a state benefit system which susbidises a low wage economy. All this does is add to inflation (it is the greatest pressure on inflation in fact)...leads to higher interest rates...povery trap.

Interesting fact: NZ citizenship is taking 12 months to process at the moment due to the high number of applications and many people leave for Australia as soon as they have it.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:25 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nisey
My OH keeps reading about so many people going on about the financial hardship they are facing in NZ, and those that are leaving and having visited and seeing on the news how even families earning $70k can't afford to get on the property ladder, How much do you need to live comfortably in NZ?

Whatever the consensus, it will answer his question and may stop the heavy sighs every time he enters the room (he's such a worrier)

Nisey
This question often crops up and is a very valid one. The problem with NZ is that property prices are way out of proportion to incomes.

This is because of various factors such as high immigration which keeps the property market up and an absence of any real restrictions on foreign investors buying up property in the country.

There is no stamp duty and the government has never been that interested in chasing up people for capital gains tax when they sell an investment (this may be changing soon though) so NZ property is an attractive way for many offshore Asian and Australian investors to make money, as well as many Nzlanders who use it as a pension 'fund'.

No one can really tell you how much you need to be comfortable in NZ. It depends on what your standards are like and how much you are prepared to put up with.

If you can be free of a mortgage things will be a lot easier for you that's for sure but when it comes to looking at a suitable salary/wage there is no reason why you shouldn't ask for the same as you're getting now. If they won't pay it then perhaps you should be asking why.

p.s. the trades are the worst for low pay.

Good luck.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:18 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Hi Nisey

Just to give you an idea of how we live. It might give you an idea of how some people can and do live here. We live in Auckland and between the pair of us (no kids) we earn just over $100,000 a year, soon to be going up with our yearly rise. We own our own house and because we didnt have a deposit we had to get a 100% mortgage which means we have a bloody high mortgage. But saying that we dont struggle at all. I am sure the no kids part has a lot to do with it but quite a few of our friends are in the same position as us i.e. same sort of money and mortgage but with kids and are not struggling either. We even have managed to do some travelling while living here including a trip back to the UK which is bloody expensive for us and a trip to the States so although expensive its not impossible. But that is living on the above wages. We go out regularly and in no way skimp on anything, although to be honest its not in my nature to skimp anyway and if I was earning peanuts I am pretty sure I would spend most of it!! We also manage to save some money as well.

I hope the above doesnt sound preachy but just trying to make a point that it isnt all doom and gloom. I know what we earn would be considered a decent wage and it is but can only tell you about our experiences and with what we know.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tootsie
This question often crops up and is a very valid one. The problem with NZ is that property prices are way out of proportion to incomes.

This is because of various factors such as high immigration which keeps the property market up and an absence of any real restrictions on foreign investors buying up property in the country.

There is no stamp duty and the government has never been that interested in chasing up people for capital gains tax when they sell an investment (this may be changing soon though) so NZ property is an attractive way for many offshore Asian and Australian investors to make money, as well as many Nzlanders who use it as a pension 'fund'.

No one can really tell you how much you need to be comfortable in NZ. It depends on what your standards are like and how much you are prepared to put up with.

If you can be free of a mortgage things will be a lot easier for you that's for sure but when it comes to looking at a suitable salary/wage there is no reason why you shouldn't ask for the same as you're getting now. If they won't pay it then perhaps you should be asking why.

p.s. the trades are the worst for low pay.

Good luck.
Someone with insight !! Yes, it is the price of the houses that is the reason for the seemingly bad pay. If you went to live in Thailand, you could afford to buy a palace, but your pay would be pennies. It is the current house prices in NZ, i agree. There are only 4 million people here = (ONLY 70 rugby pitches of people, the same area as a small lake). Why are more houses not being built ?

The crappy wooden shed houses start at 300K, more in the city ! Even to buy one of them you will need quite a big salary, and the interest rates are just starting to go up , i am waiting for the prices to drop!

Last edited by brussels_sprout; May 23rd 2007 at 1:50 am.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:50 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I just worked out my approximate hourly pay - $48.61 (I actually get paid by the year). My wife gets $65ph but no annual leave, pension scheme or health care (which I do get). I guess if you build up the right qualifications and experience so you are attractive to employers, you can get decent pay. In NZ, UK or anywhere.
You get paid once a year? What kind of job is that? Pyramid builder or something??

So, assuming you work the same hours as most people...you get paid $93,000 on January 1st and that's it?

wow...
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:07 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Lighthouse Keeper??
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:38 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rascal

50k gbp wont buy anything outright in NZ,

and what will it buy you in the UK? Or Oz? Or the US?
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
You get paid once a year? What kind of job is that? Pyramid builder or something??

So, assuming you work the same hours as most people...you get paid $93,000 on January 1st and that's it?

wow...
No, silly, I get paid by the year but every two weeks. People who get paid by the hour don't actually get a cheque every hour, do they?
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:07 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
and what will it buy you in the UK? Or Oz? Or the US?
In the UK? Dunno...
In OZ? Dunno...
In the USA? Surprisingly, this...
You could by several of these plus a big ol' pick-up truck. Right in the heart of Missouri's wine country.

http://www.hartmanrealestate.com/DH420.htm

Yee-haw!
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
No, silly, I get paid by the year but every two weeks. People who get paid by the hour don't actually get a cheque every hour, do they?
Oh...so you have a year's contract with a fixed hourly rate and they pay you every two weeks for the hours you have worked.

It would have been more fun if you pretended to get paid once a year...

Those wacky Japanese don't always pay bonuses in cash, you know. I've been given 'year end bonuses' in the form of rice-cakes, soap, telephone cards and knives.

The last reminds me of 'Glengarry Glen Ross'....

Last edited by Avid; May 23rd 2007 at 5:13 am.
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:13 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by happynz
In the UK? Dunno...
In OZ? Dunno...
In the USA? Surprisingly, this...
You could by several of these plus a big ol' pick-up truck. Right in the heart of Missouri's wine country.

http://www.hartmanrealestate.com/DH420.htm

Yee-haw!

And people complain about "shacks" here!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.