Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Welcome to Hellhole

Welcome to Hellhole

Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Welcome to Hellhole

"We are fat and ugly and our wine is over-rated. Miriyana Alexander finds out who is stirring us up.

If accalimed British writer Duncan Fallowell ever returns to New Zealand, it might have to be on a false passport...............

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4376361a11.html

Kip

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 27th 2008 at 11:34 pm. Reason: copyright.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:54 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome to Hellhole

I wouldn't disagree with anything that Fallowell says in the article (though I'll have to take his word on the 'casual gay sex scene'). His criticms seem quite thoughtful.

Doesn't stop NZ being a nice (ish) place to live.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:57 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Probably wouldn't sell as many copies if he had gushed about the wonders of the country...
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:29 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think the wine is over- rated, there is a lot of it, how can he know in just 3 months? But the rest..............rings vaguely true and made me smile, though he no doubt wrote it with sense of spite, I can see if a kiwi wrote it, it would be funny.

Spot on in many ways for me.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Probably wouldn't sell as many copies if he had gushed about the wonders of the country...

Does not surprise me in the least! NZ is not everyone's cuppa. Such a young country lacks some much in the way of history and architecture. The plus side is space and empty beaches!!!

However I think 'hellhole' perchance is a bit strong.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:27 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Fallowell needs to check out (so to speak). This world is far too imperfect for him to bear.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Does not surprise me in the least! NZ is not everyone's cuppa. Such a young country lacks some much in the way of history and architecture. The plus side is space and empty beaches!!!

However I think 'hellhole' perchance is a bit strong.
Some of the new architecture going up is pretty limited in its artistic merit IMHO, not saying the UK is any better but a lot of the new stuff in and around town is rather dull and I suppose functional.

But I like the random mix of buildings in Welly, adds to the character of the place, they just need to be a little more carefull about town planning, mind you Edinburgh has been going downhill in that respect for ages, seems to be a worldwide thing...no joined up or sensible thoughts anymore!!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Genesis;5843924
However I think 'hellhole' perchance is a bit strong.[/QUOTE]

He hasn't happened upon this 'term of endearment' by chance. Russell in the Bay of Islands, near Waitangi was known as 'the hellhole of the Pacific' shortly after European settlers arrived.
Seen in that light, it kind of makes sense to choose this title, if he wishes to knock NZ. Not sure whether to contribute to his bank balance by buying a copy or not .
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:12 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Well maybe the book by Joe Bennett who has lived in New Zealand for 18 years ,originally from England may provide you with some pay back .He wrote the book Mustn't grumble.

I live in Australia but over in the UK for few months and read this with interest and he has captured well England of today. It could be taken as insulting by some but it's an honest book, he left in the 70s , and it's funny too.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:35 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
I dont think the wine is over- rated, there is a lot of it, how can he know in just 3 months? But the rest..............rings vaguely true and made me smile, though he no doubt wrote it with sense of spite, I can see if a kiwi wrote it, it would be funny.

Hi

Last I knew you were selling your gorgeous house in NZ. And now you have moved. How are you finding Nova Scotia then? Have you posted an update on another forum? Carmen
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:40 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Controversy sells! He'd hardly make the bestseller list with a nice little book about a nice little place would he!

I wonder if he'll be holding any book signings here at its launch
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:41 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn’t mind reading it – sounds quite funny. But the only thing I don’t quite understand (if the article in the Sunday Star-Times is anything to go by, is the surprise that he couldn’t find a perfect Rose wine. Eh? Please ‘splain? Why in the world would you come to NZ and expect that? Not saying that there wouldn’t be a good rose but it seems an odd thing to look for.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Poppy2

I too laughed so much at the over-rated wine quip, but other things, i quite agree with, but yes it is a great place to live, if your income is enough
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

The Stuff site (see OP) suggest this is a *novel* (twice at least) but the quotes are all suggestive of a non-fiction book??
Anyone got an idea of which it is? or are the references ro a "novel" just a joke on the part of Stuff??

doh suppose looking at the cover its not a travel guide and so more of a travelogue and so possibly called a "novel"......

Last edited by lardyl; Jan 28th 2008 at 10:19 am.