British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Welcome to Hellhole (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/welcome-hellhole-509361/)

Kippers Jan 27th 2008 12:46 am

Welcome to Hellhole

"We are fat and ugly and our wine is over-rated. Miriyana Alexander finds out who is stirring us up.

If accalimed British writer Duncan Fallowell ever returns to New Zealand, it might have to be on a false passport...............

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4376361a11.html

Kip :)

Avid Jan 27th 2008 12:54 am

Re: Welcome to Hellhole

I wouldn't disagree with anything that Fallowell says in the article (though I'll have to take his word on the 'casual gay sex scene'). His criticms seem quite thoughtful.

Doesn't stop NZ being a nice (ish) place to live.

I_Will_Freckle Jan 27th 2008 12:57 am

Probably wouldn't sell as many copies if he had gushed about the wonders of the country...

Poppy2 Jan 27th 2008 1:29 am

I dont think the wine is over- rated, there is a lot of it, how can he know in just 3 months? But the rest..............rings vaguely true and made me smile, though he no doubt wrote it with sense of spite, I can see if a kiwi wrote it, it would be funny.

Spot on in many ways for me.

Genesis Jan 27th 2008 4:20 am

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle (Post 5843464)
Probably wouldn't sell as many copies if he had gushed about the wonders of the country...

Does not surprise me in the least! NZ is not everyone's cuppa. Such a young country lacks some much in the way of history and architecture. The plus side is space and empty beaches!!!

However I think 'hellhole' perchance is a bit strong.:p

happynz Jan 27th 2008 4:27 am

Fallowell needs to check out (so to speak). This world is far too imperfect for him to bear.

irnbru14 Jan 27th 2008 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 5843924)
Does not surprise me in the least! NZ is not everyone's cuppa. Such a young country lacks some much in the way of history and architecture. The plus side is space and empty beaches!!!

However I think 'hellhole' perchance is a bit strong.:p

Some of the new architecture going up is pretty limited in its artistic merit IMHO, not saying the UK is any better but a lot of the new stuff in and around town is rather dull and I suppose functional.

But I like the random mix of buildings in Welly, adds to the character of the place, they just need to be a little more carefull about town planning, mind you Edinburgh has been going downhill in that respect for ages, seems to be a worldwide thing...no joined up or sensible thoughts anymore!!

luvwelly Jan 27th 2008 7:32 am

[QUOTE=Genesis;5843924
However I think 'hellhole' perchance is a bit strong.:p[/QUOTE]

He hasn't happened upon this 'term of endearment' by chance. Russell in the Bay of Islands, near Waitangi was known as 'the hellhole of the Pacific' shortly after European settlers arrived.
Seen in that light, it kind of makes sense to choose this title, if he wishes to knock NZ. Not sure whether to contribute to his bank balance by buying a copy or not :confused:.

bluejohn Jan 27th 2008 9:12 am

Well maybe the book by Joe Bennett who has lived in New Zealand for 18 years ,originally from England may provide you with some pay back:p .He wrote the book Mustn't grumble.

I live in Australia but over in the UK for few months and read this with interest and he has captured well England of today. It could be taken as insulting by some but it's an honest book, he left in the 70s , and it's funny too.

uk+kiwi Jan 27th 2008 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy2 (Post 5843546)
I dont think the wine is over- rated, there is a lot of it, how can he know in just 3 months? But the rest..............rings vaguely true and made me smile, though he no doubt wrote it with sense of spite, I can see if a kiwi wrote it, it would be funny.

Hi :)

Last I knew you were selling your gorgeous house in NZ. And now you have moved. How are you finding Nova Scotia then? Have you posted an update on another forum? Carmen

TeamEmbo Jan 27th 2008 7:40 pm

Controversy sells! He'd hardly make the bestseller list with a nice little book about a nice little place would he! :p

I wonder if he'll be holding any book signings here at its launch :rofl::rofl:

Kiwiprincess Jan 27th 2008 7:41 pm

I wouldn’t mind reading it – sounds quite funny. But the only thing I don’t quite understand (if the article in the Sunday Star-Times is anything to go by, is the surprise that he couldn’t find a perfect Rose wine. Eh? Please ‘splain? Why in the world would you come to NZ and expect that? Not saying that there wouldn’t be a good rose but it seems an odd thing to look for.

brussels_sprout Jan 27th 2008 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy2 (Post 5843546)

I too laughed so much at the over-rated wine quip, but other things, i quite agree with, but yes it is a great place to live, if your income is enough

lardyl Jan 28th 2008 10:09 am

The Stuff site (see OP) suggest this is a *novel* (twice at least) but the quotes are all suggestive of a non-fiction book??
Anyone got an idea of which it is? or are the references ro a "novel" just a joke on the part of Stuff??

doh suppose looking at the cover its not a travel guide and so more of a travelogue and so possibly called a "novel"......