British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Welcome Bay BOP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/welcome-bay-bop-596234/)

MooMoo290373 Mar 8th 2009 7:20 pm

Welcome Bay BOP

Hi Hubby has a secured a job at Tauranga Hosp and we have finally submitted our EOI this week, we are looking into welcome bay do anyone know what it is like for housing and schooling and how far from the hosp it roughly is.:)

Am Loolah Mar 8th 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Welcome Bay BOP

Originally Posted by MooMoo290373 (Post 7357451)
Hi Hubby has a secured a job at Tauranga Hosp and we have finally submitted our EOI this week, we are looking into welcome bay do anyone know what it is like for housing and schooling and how far from the hosp it roughly is.:)

Congratulations to your Hubby. He may want to contact iwannagonow who has just started as a theatre nurse at Tauranga hospital?:thumbup:

I am not a huge fan of Welcome Bay - but that may just be me!:o With regards to how far from the hospital, I would say probably 10 minutes drive, maybe slightly more in rush hour.:thumbsup:

MooMoo290373 Mar 8th 2009 8:47 pm

Hi can you tell me why you don`t like welcome bay is it a bad area, can you recommend any other areas to us:D
Thanks for the congrats we are dead excited now !!!

Am Loolah Mar 8th 2009 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by MooMoo290373 (Post 7357657)
Hi can you tell me why you don`t like welcome bay is it a bad area, can you recommend any other areas to us:D
Thanks for the congrats we are dead excited now !!!

It's not a "bad" area, I just hear "bad" things about it!:sneaky:

Maybe research Ohauiti, Avenues, Matua, Otumotei (think I've spelt that wrong ...) and Pillans Point?:thumbup:

Hokey-pokey Mar 8th 2009 10:26 pm

The Selwyn Ridge area of Welcome Bay is leafy and attractive and the primary school ( Selwyn Ridge Primary ) has a good reputation. I had to attend to some business at the school recently and found the staff to be very cheery and helpful. The grounds of the school are pleasant and well maintained. A 10 - 15 minute drive would be a fair estimate in distance to the hospital.Parking at the hospital can be problematic for non senior medical staff . Just factor in a possible 5 - 10 min. walk too.
The Avenues is a popular choice for hospital staff, as biking becomes an option - look anywhere from 15th Avenue towards the city centre. Tauranga City Primary and St Marys Catholic primary school, both situated in the Avenues , have excellent reputations.
Pyes Pa is another handy location to the hospital - 5 minutes by car approx. The other suburbs mentioned by Am Loolah are worth considering too. You're really rather spoilt for choice !

Bolton_boy Mar 13th 2009 6:29 am

We live in Rotorua - so I can't comment as an insider. My son has friends that live in Welcome Bay - I haven't got a particular problem with it. I could live there. I think you have to see a place (including some of the others mentionsed) to get to know what what is good and what is to be avoided. Houses are all different - so it really is down to looking very carefully and taking good advice.:thumbsup:

TeamEmbo Mar 15th 2009 4:23 am

We were originally going to move to the BOP and trailed round heaps of areas with different local realators. Welcome Bay was an area we were told was not so good. I don't know why. The house we looked at there was lovely but quite considerably cheaper than those of similar size/age in other districts in the area so I guess that gives an indication of it being a less attractive area.

Geelong Gent Mar 15th 2009 11:01 am

Originally Posted by MooMoo290373 (Post 7357451)

Know the hospital very well:D

Avoid Welcome bay if budget can stretch elsewhere;)

MooMoo290373 Mar 15th 2009 2:35 pm

Thx for that we are looking into other parts now :D:thumbsup: