Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Weird, strange and downright unfathomable...

Weird, strange and downright unfathomable...

Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weird, strange and downright unfathomable...

So what do you find strange in kiwi land that you just cannot quite get your head around, I'll start...

The Give Way rule on the road

Traffic being allowed to turn at junctions when the green man is on at the crossing, this must be dangerous, especially for tourists (both driving and crossing!)

Kiwi dress sense - I'm sorry, but have seen some of the worst dressed people on the planet in this country, and yes I have been to Aus!!

Last edited by irnbru14; Mar 13th 2008 at 1:18 am.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:56 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Weird, strange and downright unfathomable...

Originally Posted by irnbru14
I'm sorry, but have seen some of the worst dressed people on the plant in this country
That explains it.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:41 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I must have been here too long, as racking my brains I could not come up with any more. There used to be a few things that threw me, but now even the quirky things just seem normal.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:47 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

everyone in barefeet or wearing jandals to work.

Saying that the barefeet thing is always done, surprised about the jandals to work though.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:08 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

"Weird, strange and downright unfathomable... "

That would be you then, Mr. Bru

*Maz runs and hides*
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:17 am

Tell you what I've always wondered about...........Is Irn Bru actually a good source of iron?

is that colour from ferric oxide or simply sunset yellow?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Tell you what I've always wondered about...........Is Irn Bru actually a good source of iron?

lived in Scotland however I've never tried that Irn Bru (weird?) - I don't drink a fizzy drink.

Each time/whenever I see piles of Irn Bru at NW, in fact, it reminds me of Mr Bru ...and always wonder/curious what it tastes like?

Fanta + Coke = Irn Bru? ............
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:38 am

Tastes like girders I think?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwi dress sense - I'm sorry, but have seen some of the worst dressed people on the planet in this country, and yes I have been to Aus!!

so Mr Bru, How stylish are you then?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you find strange in kiwi land that you just cannot quite get your head around, I'll start...

The Give Way rule on the road

Traffic being allowed to turn at junctions when the green man is on at the crossing, this must be dangerous, especially for tourists (both driving and crossing!)

Agree about the Give Way Rule, the traffic being allowed to turn and potentially run pedestrians over is not unique to NZ, it is the norm in France, Italy etc....the sensible safe method is maybe unique to the UK I think.

The 'varied' dress sense and the fact that you see people in all shapes and sizes is a good thing i.m.v. - each to his own anyway. Some business people are very smartly dressed so it depends who you are talking about really.

Agree about going barefoot being weird as well.

Apart from that for me it has to be the lack of central heating, double glazing, insulation in properties and the apparent denial that these are connected with the high asthma level.

Finally the single sex schools thing and quaint uniforms.

The rest just reminds me of the UK and to be honest I feel very at home.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine

It is actually made from the distilled scrapings of iron based paint from the Forth Rail Bridge...

Actually, no its not really! It was invented, so legend goes, as an alternative drink for those miners/shipbuilders who would be drinking excessive alcohol.

And it did used to be called Iron Brew until Barr, the manufacturer, were told to change it, but funnily enough, not cause it didnt have much iron in, but because it techincally wasn't "brewed", it just contains lots of sugars, sweetners, E numbers and colourings...mmmm, lovely!!!

Link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn_bru for more random info (like its suppsoed to be banned in the USA!!)...
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by crap coffee
so Mr Bru, How stylish are you then?
Very...and not even had excuse to wear my Kilt yet (much to Maz's relief!!!)
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Traffic being allowed to turn at junctions when the green man is on at the crossing, this must be dangerous, especially for tourists (both driving and crossing!):
Traffic is not meant to turn until all the pedestrians are clear of the road if there is a green man showing! The green man is on for all of 5 seconds, so it's not like they're being held up!

My pet peeve is turning traffic trying to jump in front of me crossing the road... grrr :curse:
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yessssssssss! This morning I was sitting opposite a lady on the bus wearing the strangest green/orange/cream patterened tights with a suit. I had to focus on my Sudoku puzzle to stop myself laughing/throwing up! Not that I am a fashionista but that was sooooooooo wrong!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:56 am

urgh....wearing a suit to work what was she thinking of?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.