Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Weird of the Rings

Weird of the Rings

Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Weird of the Rings

Just ten days to go until the Olympics and from what I have seen it's all looking fantastic and getting very exciting.

So why do I get the feeling that many in the Kiwi media are willing it all to go wrong and wanting to pee on the parade?

Not a day has gone by this past few weeks where they've not ended the news with tales of doom and gloom from London and how awful it's going to be. I don't doubt however that all the usual players in the media will have bagged themselves a first-class ticket to be there.

Here's some nice quirky Olympic stories from the Daily Mirror

Weird of the Rings:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-...-quirky-798462
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird of the Rings

You clearly haven't read a lot of the British media.

From the The Times today :

Half Olympic Guards Still To Be Trained
Ban Demanded On Fresh Public Contracts For G4S
Olympic Security Crisis Suspected For Months
London 2012 Organisers Admit Defeat In Ticket Football Sales
Blame The Catostrophisation Unit
etc..

And it's been like that for days, with stories about the rain and athletes buses getting lost. The Telegraph and Sun are not much better.

I did find this quirky story though :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ng-stunts.html

Last edited by sr71; Jul 17th 2012 at 5:07 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with sr71.....having just come back from NZ where I thought the coverage was quite bland. I was looking forward to the exciting build up to the games. I have been so disappointed with the British media. Feels like they are quite enjoying the chaos at the moment.....however, some of the criticism is just. The CEO of the security company did not do well explaining himself to MPs today. What a total farce! Although I haven't read too much on it but I am cracking up that businesses are not allowed to casually associate their business to the Olympics by using words such as summer, gold, silver etc etc. Ridiculous!

There are lots of people who are vehemently opposed to the Olympics and are very vocal about it. It has definitely not always been happy clappy towards the games. Living in London during the bid and building, preparation process has definitely changed my view.

Disclaimer - I am still pretty excited!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sr71

Mentals.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
So why do I get the feeling that many in the Kiwi media are willing it all to go wrong and wanting to pee on the parade?
Because they still have a huge chip on their shoulder when it comes to the uk.
Did you notice the huge financial loss made by the RWC was quickly dismissed
likewise the debacle that follows the ridiculous V8 race held in Hamilton and now
moved to Pukekohe that nobody is interested in.
On the opening night of the RWC half the trains carrying fans broke down, 99%
of all the bars and cafes doubled their prices to rip off tourists and fans alike
Kiwis are just a race of self righteous, bitter, miserable buggers when it comes
to anything that isn't "the kiwi way"
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71

Obviously the Telegraph dont have a clue what South Auckland looks like or they wouldn't have chosen the glamour shot.

The Daily Mail at least is closer to the situation and has a proper photo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ter-mailonline
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the Telegraph dont have a clue what South Auckland looks like or they wouldn't have chosen the glamour shot.

The Daily Mail at least is closer to the situation and has a proper photo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ter-mailonline
Though the photo caption is very loose with the English language - "A woman"?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have to say that a similar thought passed through my head & said as much to Mr BEVS. However, Mr BEVS reminded me that it was just the same for the lead up to the Beijing Olympics. Those groans were about air pollution/ stadium standard/ olympic village standard, access, terrorism & security , also the food quality.
Mr BEVS thinks they want to shaddapa their faces, as he finds it one big yawn & concentrate on building excitment and interest in the , participants and events.

Family and friends back in the UK are quite excited by the games. Several have made the effort to turn out to see the torch . A friend of a friend was chosen to actually run the torch.

The only bit of a gripe we've heard coming out of the UK is from Mr BEVS family in the Midlands who feel the new stadium etc should have been central to the UK & not London.

Personally I'd love to be there .

Sue has set up an Olympic forum if any of you fancy getting stuck in there as well as here.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Just came back from spending a few days in London, not nearly as busy as we thought it would be. Underground was horrendous, but then that always is, the overground was fine off peak. London itself was surprisingly quiet.

Loads of roads with closure signs warning of disruption in the upcoming Olympics. Think it will affect some people, particularly if they rely on public transport, my brother in law has actually taken the two weeks off and the factory he works for is shut for one, as no public transport will be able to go to certain areas as the roads will be shut off.

With regard to some of the stories in the media reporting doom and gloom to come, will just have to wait and see. As BEVS says, would actually loved to have been there - a once in a life time experience.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Matelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of light

Were off to the "Technical" test of the Opening Ceremony on the evening of the 25th! Can't wait! Our Daughter is a drummer/dancer and has been practicing week-ends and evenings for what seem like ages!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Matelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of light

Got back this am from the "Technical Rehearsal"! The weathers been brilliant for the last few days. Took the train from 3 Bridges and changed at London Bridge for the Jubilee line. (Right next to the Shard. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=th...w=1280&bih=869 ) It's massive! Alighted at Stratford and was faced with the massive Westfield Mall. The Olympic site didn't open till 5pm so we had a coffee. As this was a test event for the real things a few things didn't go right. There was a massive queue for free water and probably a few other teething problems. The site was well laid out, sign-posted and the volunteers were very friendly! The show was quite awe inspiring, well worth the £27 million. We were quite impressed by the "clouds" and the towers that came out of nowhere, the GOSH hospital beds with real patients. The blind drummer, the Windrush And much much more!

Last edited by Matelot; Jul 26th 2012 at 9:15 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Personally I think everything about the olympics in London was positive until the ticket announcement and lack of investment to other boroughs as that had a huge affect on the mood of the olympics in London. Many Londoners (i'll admit myself included) felt a bit angry that we would not have any priority at all. This was mainly because Londoners have forked out a lot more money towards these games than the normal UK tax payer. Ken Livingstone informed all council boroughs whilst mayor to raise the council tax by x percent so that a slice of each council tax per person is used to fund the olympic project. Also, living in the borough of Redbridge, then Barking and Dagenham - Livingstone and Johnson both promised significant investment to East London with the games. Many people in these areas have seen nothing at all apart from stadiums in the Newham area. The West Ham United saga has not helped as Newham residents are angry that the council is loaning a huge amount to them to move into the stadium instead of improving Newham. Those that haven't been to boroughs like Newham, Barking + Dagenham, Tower Hamlets etc investment is needed. This doesn't seem to be happening and a significant amount of people in East London feel betrayed that the promise from both Mayors, Seb Coe, Tony Blair etc of investment in the area hasn't happened.