a weighty issue

Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink a weighty issue

I have been looking into the medicals and am wondering why it is sooooo tricky if your overweight????

i am a little over my ideal slimline figure and are going to have to do some serious running to get slimmer!

my bmi is 32, and need to lose 2 stone

why are they so tough?

and do they let you in if you can prove that you not unfit etc etc???

there just seems to be so many people worrying, and am beginning to get right frightened
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: a weighty issue

Hi, i may be wrong and someone will correct me if so!! I think alot of the medical stuff is to ensure no one will be a burden on society and likely to cost the health service. I guess if someone is overweight then it may be more likely they will suffer with certain health issues!?

good luck with the jogging!!
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

lyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nice

Originally Posted by crumpy10
I have been looking into the medicals and am wondering why it is sooooo tricky if your overweight????

i am a little over my ideal slimline figure and are going to have to do some serious running to get slimmer!

my bmi is 32, and need to lose 2 stone

why are they so tough?

and do they let you in if you can prove that you not unfit etc etc???

there just seems to be so many people worrying, and am beginning to get right frightened
Hi Crumpy,

I too had put weight on and my BMI was close to 30. Like you I began to worry that it might be too close to the allowance of 35 and I would therefore need to do something about it.

I never felt that I was unfit and did not look overweight. My lifestyle meant that working full time and looking after the family left it very difficult to fit in the time to exercise as a measure to losing weight.

I had tried a few different diets but got bored with them very quickly. I decided to try and control my calorie intake but without following a set diet. All other diets had specified food I did not really like so I would try and follow my own and see if it worked.

I read the packets and tins when food shopping to plan what I would be able to eat out of the food that I did like. I found that it was possible to do this without turning into a rabbit!

First I set a goal of a calorie intake of 1200 per day spread between 4 to 5 meals per day. I was never a breakfast person but forced myself to eat 2 weetabix each morning with hot water instead of milk and low calorie sweetener instead of sugar. Mid morning I would have a low calorie chocolate bar. Lunch would be a sandwich and a packet of crisps, this was made by using bread with the least calories per slice and cooked meat slices. The crisps were oven baked instead of normal fried ones. Dinner would be a cooked meal such as a full cooked dinner of potatoes, broccoli, peas, cauliflower, chicken breast without the skin and gravy. The gravy was granules such as bisto or any shop brand as opposed to home cooked gravy as the calories are much less. Then the last snack would be rice pudding. I did not eat after 8pm in the evening.

The above is an example of a typical day but you would find the types of food that you do like and then find alternatives or substitutes to fit in with the allocated daily calorie allowance that you set for yourself.

The worst part is the initial counting of the calories when food shopping but this does get better when you have a clear idea what you can and can't eat.

Following this rule I lost 1.5 stone in 3 months and got my BMI down to 26.5. This was done without having to push my body to exercise more than my normal daily routine of working and running a family.

I hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide is best for you.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: a weighty issue

thanks Lyndanchris

really helpful

i am doing a low fat diet, which seems to be helping, but i want results now!!

so will keep trying, i have thought of a low cal diet, but you get so confused it drives me mad

thanks

Anna
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strawbie
Hi, i may be wrong and someone will correct me if so!! I think alot of the medical stuff is to ensure no one will be a burden on society and likely to cost the health service. I guess if someone is overweight then it may be more likely they will suffer with certain health issues!?

good luck with the jogging!!
I agree. Being over weight is the gateway to lots of conditions (so I understand). It does seem like a reasonable rationale that the NZIS only want people who are in generally good condition (ie not 20% or whatever over weight). There are factions of NZ society that have huge over weight issues and I know for a fact that they are a huge draw on the NZ NHS system.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, it does say that BMI has to be less than 35 so you shouldn't have a problem. They are strict as mine was 36.1 at the medical and they will reconsider when below 35. It was over 38 earlier in the year, wish I'd have tried harder before having medical Its now exactly 35 so hopefully in a few more days it will be below (how much below will they reconsider it at?) and resubmit. Its unfortunate in one way that they don't seem to take general health into account and maybe family history and the fact that you will put into the system so much tax! I have visited the GP here about 3 times in the last 5 years and consider myself healthy, I have no family history of heart disease or diabetes and can prove my weight has been decreasing since January. In my first year of working I will pay more than $14,000 tax. Sorry rant over, stress taking its toll Still I don't eat when stressed Good luck, Bevissa
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:00 am
Banned

jimmy13 is an unknown quantity at this point

crumpy

Think of the positives, this gives you a great incentive to lose weight an improve your health! Im not saying that yuo are grossly overweight, but reducing your BMI will have a positive side effect on your longterm health and also gain you entry. Surely its a win win. Remember there is no shortcut, a friend of mine lost 6 stone in about a year by eating healthier and doing exercise, remeber there is no quick fix!!

GOOD LUCK
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

why are they so tough?
You have to remember that kiwis are very fond of their pies, and worried that potential immigrants might eat them all
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: a weighty issue

i know i know i know!!!!

your right, it is a win win situation, and i have already given up smoking to be able to go. i said to my OH in the new year, i have to stop smoking, go on a diet and give up alcohol! he said that providing i didnt do it all at once then there wouldnt be a divorce!!

its working, but slowly, and i have come to the conclusion that the more i worry, the more i eat! so simple hey!???

but.... what happens if once your out in NZ that you put on weight? if you have PR can they do anything about it????

am quite confused, as if you got the weight off, then if you do put it back on, what happens??

thanks for help.

Anna
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:51 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

but.... what happens if once your out in NZ that you put on weight? if you have PR can they do anything about it????

am quite confused, as if you got the weight off, then if you do put it back on, what happens??

thanks for help.

Anna
Once you get PR only commiting a crime can get you deported (the longer you stay the bigger the crime has to be). Now as has been stated before eating too many Kiwi pies (the nice healthy ones!) is a major capital offence here if you buy the last one in the shop and deprive Kiwi's of their staple! .....so if you do make sure you eat the evidence!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:19 am
Banned

jimmy13 is an unknown quantity at this point

i know i know i know!!!!

your right, it is a win win situation, and i have already given up smoking to be able to go. i said to my OH in the new year, i have to stop smoking, go on a diet and give up alcohol! he said that providing i didnt do it all at once then there wouldnt be a divorce!!

its working, but slowly, and i have come to the conclusion that the more i worry, the more i eat! so simple hey!???

thanks for help.

Anna
could you imagine the uproar if they tried to deport someone for being overweight!?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 8:33 am
Just Joined

kiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to allkiwi4simone is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
You have to remember that kiwis are very fond of their pies, and worried that potential immigrants might eat them all

Lol, particularly mince and cheese!

I had to have a biopsy here in NZ as i have a condition called Sarcoidosis. Even though it needs treatment, which i receive at a discounted cost i still got PR.

Dont give up, it is worth it in the end!

Good luck